HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 20, 2012, 09:49 PM
Joined Feb 2011
902 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GorillaBob View Post
I have it half finished in SketchUp. I can finish that and send it along, or I can send a picture once it is finished. Which would be better?
Both would be good, I know my friend has sketch up but not sure if he can export to stl unless you have the pro version ? We do our modeling in Catia. So if you can output stl then that is the best otherwise step is ok.. It's worth getting a quote from him to compare anyway..
jbalat is offline Find More Posts by jbalat
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 21, 2012, 12:42 AM
Auckland New Zealand
Joined Sep 2010
1,298 Posts
Battery Holder Fun

Windy outside so I had to find something to do.
I'm always having battery packs vacating the frame on big crashes and being destroyed.
So I came up with this

The big velcro is from HK. I stuck hook and eye back to back to make the strap

Lets see them fly off now

Name: photo 1.JPG
Views: 92
Size: 262.8 KB
Description: Name: photo 2.jpg
Views: 69
Size: 261.9 KB
Description:

Name: photo 3.jpg
Views: 65
Size: 267.8 KB
Description: Name: photo 4.jpg
Views: 56
Size: 255.5 KB
Description:

Name: photo 5.jpg
Views: 68
Size: 280.0 KB
Description:
BigJimNZ is offline Find More Posts by BigJimNZ
Last edited by BigJimNZ; Jan 21, 2012 at 12:59 AM.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 03:24 AM
Flying a Chipmunk in Portugal
NRW, Germany
Joined Sep 2010
3,587 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimNZ View Post
I'm always having battery packs vacating the frame on big crashes and being destroyed.
So I came up with this

Attachment 4569073 Attachment 4569029

Attachment 4569030 Attachment 4569031

Attachment 4569032
That is a great idea.. as long as that part of the frame doesn't vacate the copter nothing will get that battery out of it's place..

Joćo
jhsa is online now Find More Posts by jhsa
Old Jan 21, 2012, 10:40 AM
Fly, crash, rebuild.
United States, NY, Shelter Island
Joined May 2011
880 Posts
Quote:
Windy outside

Crikee! are you flying into the eye of a hurricane with that there copter! Go big or stay home!
H
shelterock is offline Find More Posts by shelterock
Old Jan 21, 2012, 11:49 AM
Cumbria in the U.K
Joined Jan 2008
1,934 Posts
Post the video if they do fly off !

Any reason why you are using tricopter or do you use tri and quad ?

I have been flying a couple of quads - with the unwanted effects interdiction device you designed (uses bits of rubber tubing to kill vibrations). I like the quads.

Just about to start on a tricopter as I want something that folds up for easy transport when I have to hike to a site.
sparklet is offline Find More Posts by sparklet
Old Jan 21, 2012, 12:01 PM
An ordinary sort of incredible
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Dec 2004
932 Posts
Quote:
So I came up with this

Attachment 4569073 Attachment 4569029

Attachment 4569030 Attachment 4569031

Attachment 4569032
That is quite the battery strap. I was having the same problem. Mine have even come out on aggressive maneuvers (unintentional ) My solution is to cut the velcro strap and add about an inch of bungy cord. That gives some much needed stretch to the strap. I used the newer flat bungy cord. I also super glued some rubber dots to the frame. That gives it some good friction. Now I don't have to modify my batteries to keep them in place.
mr.incredible is offline Find More Posts by mr.incredible
Old Jan 21, 2012, 03:14 PM
Auckland New Zealand
Joined Sep 2010
1,298 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklet View Post
Post the video if they do fly off !

Any reason why you are using tricopter or do you use tri and quad ?

I have been flying a couple of quads - with the unwanted effects interdiction device you designed (uses bits of rubber tubing to kill vibrations). I like the quads.

Just about to start on a tricopter as I want something that folds up for easy transport when I have to hike to a site.
I have flown a friends quad and i found it very stable but I don't own any quads.
Tricopters are my favourite as they fly a lot more like a heli. in saying that I have gone from 6 helis down to two and I think my Raptor 90's days are numbered
I think if I had a bunch of + and - props lying around I would make one.
I'm going to Germany in May to have a fly with Joao so I will be working on a folder myself
I remember you were going to do filming for some archaeologists a while back. Did you get that done ? How did it work out ?
Old Jan 21, 2012, 07:43 PM
wbuttry
sikeston mo
Joined Apr 2009
368 Posts
i have this usb adapter to program my kk board i cant find drivers and my computer doesnt see it but it lites up though any ideas and yes i did look on the quadcopter site cant under stand the way that site is layed out http://www.ebay.com/itm/AVR-USB-USBa...item3cbec82531
wbuttry is offline Find More Posts by wbuttry
Old Jan 21, 2012, 09:01 PM
Auckland New Zealand
Joined Sep 2010
1,298 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbuttry View Post
i have this usb adapter to program my kk board i cant find drivers and my computer doesnt see it but it lites up though any ideas and yes i did look on the quadcopter site cant under stand the way that site is layed out http://www.ebay.com/itm/AVR-USB-USBa...item3cbec82531
I'm not big on this stuff but have you powered the board externally with 5 volts.
What program are you using ?
Is it a KK or HK KK ?
Old Jan 22, 2012, 10:13 AM
Fly, crash, rebuild.
United States, NY, Shelter Island
Joined May 2011
880 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbuttry View Post
Buttry,
This is "the" authority on USBasp programmers and drivers. Good starting point.
http://www.fischl.de/usbasp/

Some Chinese programmers don't work with this driver because the use modified versions. Did you email the seller for a link to the drivers for your programmer.
Lazyzero, Christian, knows a lot about this and developed the Lazyzero flash tool that you should check out. He has leads to the drivers and suggestions. http://lazyzero.de/en/modellbau/kkmulticopterflashtool
H
shelterock is offline Find More Posts by shelterock
Old Jan 22, 2012, 12:15 PM
Do a Barrel Roll!
United States, OH, Medina
Joined Jun 2005
1,023 Posts
Hey guys. I'm gathering the parts for my first tricopter based on rcexplorers 2.5 version.

I was wondering if my JR SX600 radio would work for my tricopter?

http://www.bladehelis.com/prodinfo/F...600_manual.pdf

I know a better computer radio would be ideal, but it would be nice to have a $150 tricopter instead of a $350 tricopter w/ radio
rcbif is offline Find More Posts by rcbif
Old Jan 22, 2012, 02:41 PM
An ordinary sort of incredible
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Dec 2004
932 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbif View Post
Hey guys. I'm gathering the parts for my first tricopter based on rcexplorers 2.5 version.

I was wondering if my JR SX600 radio would work for my tricopter?

http://www.bladehelis.com/prodinfo/F...600_manual.pdf

I know a better computer radio would be ideal, but it would be nice to have a $150 tricopter instead of a $350 tricopter w/ radio
It should work well with a MultiWii board. You don't need a fancy radio for that. However, for the original Signguy tricopter you DO need a radio with heli 120 swash programming. Start off with what you have then you may want to upgrade to the Turngy 9x for $53 at HK. Upgrade that to the er9x firmware and you have and awesome radio.

PS. You can probably hack your radio to replace the transmitter with a FrSky 2.4GHz module
mr.incredible is offline Find More Posts by mr.incredible
Old Jan 22, 2012, 02:50 PM
wbuttry
sikeston mo
Joined Apr 2009
368 Posts
well i am pretty sure this isnt gonna work for my computer cause i dumb as a box of rocks on this stuff dont even know how to unzip files specially on windows 7 and all of these different programs are driving me nuts and my computer hates half of these files on here i put in the usb adapter and it lites up and computer says cant find drivers for this hardware then it kicks it out saying unable to install hardware get this out of my port ... or write with any periods or anything
wbuttry is offline Find More Posts by wbuttry
Old Jan 22, 2012, 02:55 PM
Cumbria in the U.K
Joined Jan 2008
1,934 Posts
Quote:
I have flown a friends quad and i found it very stable but I don't own any quads.
Tricopters are my favourite as they fly a lot more like a heli. in saying that I have gone from 6 helis down to two and I think my Raptor 90's days are numbered
I think if I had a bunch of + and - props lying around I would make one.
I'm going to Germany in May to have a fly with Joao so I will be working on a folder myself
I remember you were going to do filming for some archaeologists a while back. Did you get that done ? How did it work out ?
Thanks for the reply.
The archaeologists have been in touch again and are hoping to sort out some dates.
Volunteers will be surveying the various sites, with the aid of a GPS system that has been bought for the job.

My bit will be very weather dependent, I need nice, bright, sunny conditions to get good detail in my aerial photos of the sites. That should limit me to about 2 days in a year !!!

The idea is... they will leave the survey pegs in place and I will turn up when conditions are good and place more visible markers over the pegs so they show up better on photos. There are currently 130 sites they are interested in surveying and they hope to get started soon, before the bracken starts growing and makes the sites less visible.

We have just had months of very windy and/or windy and wet weather, I have never known a spell like it. Hopefully this year will be better than last year here in the north west of England.

That's why I am looking at building a tricopter. Some of the sites involve a fair bit of uphill trecking over rough ground to get to them. A folding tri is going to be a lot easier to carry in these conditions. I will probably use automatic level control and also heading control on it. I will go with normal props to start with and see how it does.

The 2 photos are of an abandoned, medieval settlement. This covers a big area and this is just a part of the site. The archaeologists are going to do a professional survey there this year. This site is a very easy one to walk to and the location is superb.There was some vibration when taking these photos but that has been sorted now.

On the first photo, in the bottom, left, quarter, are 3 areas of red. These were different sized markers I tried to see what was likely to be needed so they would easily be seen on photos.

The work continues.....
sparklet is offline Find More Posts by sparklet
Last edited by sparklet; Jan 22, 2012 at 03:06 PM.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 03:41 PM
Do a Barrel Roll!
United States, OH, Medina
Joined Jun 2005
1,023 Posts
Thanks for the radio advice.

Got another question. I was gonna order the 18amp Turngiy Plush esc's, but hobbyking is out of stock. Can anybody recommended me another esc that could work out and is hopefully in stock at hobbyking?
rcbif is offline Find More Posts by rcbif