HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 13, 2012, 11:11 PM
RCPlaye
United States, CT, East Hartford
Joined Aug 2009
711 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by opus View Post
That is a good size to start with. Should be real steady but still have some maneuverability for playing.

(YMMV) These are just my observations. I can be and have been wrong...

There is a fine area between motor size/motor KV/prop size where your amps vs power is just right. Don't worry about measuring it. When you hit it you'll feel the difference in the way it handles. Once you get your power system figured out you can easily get 10-15min of flight time.

Depending on your overall weight, I would go with a APC 10x4.7 or 11x3.8. Everything will change as you add or remove weight (cameras). It should comfortably hover about half throttle. More blade length or faster RPMs will get you more power/punch. I wouldn't go beyond 5 deg on the prop pitch. It will get sluggish with too much pitch.

You can use all CCW blades if with no tilt to your motors. Mechanically add a little bit of extra left yaw by default. Motor should tilt about 5 to 8deg to the right. Physically adjust the angle so the heading/yaw stays steady with out any rudder input. (NOT WITH THE TX) It will help a lot when learning to not have to constantly fight the yaw. If you use both CCW and CW props, I find you still have a 2 to 3 deg adjustment.

I also find that blade strength plays a lot in performance. A blade that doesn't flex a lot, but not thick and heavy is ideal. The heavier a blade is the more inertia it will have. It will resist the quick changes in speed that the tri/quad uses for stability adjustments. Too flexible, and it will feel mushy. I have tried a lot of blades. I keep coming back to the APC branded ones. (grey) I would love to try the CF slow fly blades on GLB, but I still crash a lot. I'd cry if I broke a $60 set of blades.
thank you, very informative
CoolBudz is offline Find More Posts by CoolBudz
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 13, 2012, 11:11 PM
Multi Rotor Maniac
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Oct 2007
2,847 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfcomg View Post
Hi Group.
First i want to thank all the entusiast that share their experiences in this groups. i have been learning a lot in this forums about RC.
Today i have my first succesful FPV Tricopter flight, So i want to share my little experience in tricopters.

This is my frame.

Tricopter: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1397479

HK 2210N 1000Kv Brushless motor
10 x 4.5 prop. -1 is cr.
Blue bird steel gears servo for yaw
KK Blackboard
Esc: 18a Hobbywing
HobbyKing UBEC 3A / 2-6s LiPO
Hobby King 900mhz 800mw video combo (stock antenna for the moment)
wide angle lens
Eagle tree osdpro eloggerv4
2200mah 30c battery for frame
1000mah 10c battery for video
Radio Flysky with frsky module 5dbi antenna.

Any comments are welcome.

Here is the video of the firsrt succesful FPV flight
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHNpuNt2TzI
1000mah 10c battery for video - thats quite a big battery. Have you tried powering the vTx and camera from your main pack? Sometimes it works and you can save some weight.
Stunt Double is offline Find More Posts by Stunt Double
Old Jan 14, 2012, 09:39 AM
Mexico, JAL, Guadalajara
Joined Nov 2010
106 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stunt Double View Post
1000mah 10c battery for video - thats quite a big battery. Have you tried powering the vTx and camera from your main pack? Sometimes it works and you can save some weight.
no, i have not. i'm going to try and post my results.
Thanks.
jfcomg is offline Find More Posts by jfcomg
Old Jan 15, 2012, 09:44 PM
Joined Feb 2011
784 Posts
I use the same battery.. The only issue I get is when the battery starts going the video also goes down shortly afterwards.. If you keep an eye on your voltage and land before you get to 10v then you should be ok !!
Tricopter FPV Trestle Bridge 2nd Cut (3 min 51 sec)
jbalat is offline Find More Posts by jbalat
Old Jan 15, 2012, 09:48 PM
Joined Feb 2011
784 Posts
Hey just wanted you guys to see some 3D printing we have been doing for my hk quadcopter project.. Yes I will also be developing a tri and Y6 version after we do some testing with this setup.. Im sure there will be plenty of improvements.

If anyone knows any cheap supplier for plastic rod on a roll then please let me know because I think my friend is getting this stuff for around $80 per roll from New Zealand which is a rip off..

Just for your ref the main frame is 150mm x 150mm. Tubes are 18mm plastic. The whole kit weighs next to nothing but strong as !!
Old Jan 16, 2012, 07:21 PM
Lafayette,CO
Joined Jan 2009
165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbalat View Post
Hey just wanted you guys to see some 3D printing we have been doing for my hk quadcopter project.. Yes I will also be developing a tri and Y6 version after we do some testing with this setup.. Im sure there will be plenty of improvements.

If anyone knows any cheap supplier for plastic rod on a roll then please let me know because I think my friend is getting this stuff for around $80 per roll from New Zealand which is a rip off..

Just for your ref the main frame is 150mm x 150mm. Tubes are 18mm plastic. The whole kit weighs next to nothing but strong as !!

What kind of plastic and where are you getting the 3D printing done?
flyerdiver is offline Find More Posts by flyerdiver
Old Jan 16, 2012, 07:57 PM
Mexico, JAL, Guadalajara
Joined Nov 2010
106 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stunt Double View Post
Today i could make the test with only one battery in my tricopter ,everithing looks ok, and i think the time of flight increases for the lost of weight. the only thing its that when the battery voltage is dropping the video range decreases too.
i'm thinking to install a voltage regulator for the video.
here is the video> in the video the battery starts at 11.93v. that is because in the first flight i forgot to turn on the recorder.
FPV tricopter with only one battery.ASF (2 min 55 sec)

any comments are welcome.
Thank you.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 08:53 PM
Joined Jan 2011
175 Posts
Cool video jfcomg. Is that rvosd you're using?

Quote:
Today i could make the test with only one battery in my tricopter ,everithing looks ok, and i think the time of flight increases for the lost of weight. the only thing its that when the battery voltage is dropping the video range decreases too.
i'm thinking to install a voltage regulator for the video.
here is the video> in the video the battery starts at 11.93v. that is because in the first flight i forgot to turn on the recorder.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laE7DXoN7dc
any comments are welcome.
Thank you.
k0mputer is offline Find More Posts by k0mputer
Old Jan 16, 2012, 10:12 PM
Brushless
Joined Mar 2009
2,066 Posts
Quote:

Jbalat - Nice looking prints - I too run a 3d printer to test parts for my Hexa - We will soon be cutting motor mounts and boom blocks that I have printed on my Prusa Mendel - ABS is tough stuff - Here are some boom blocks I have printed - Lots of printed parts on my Hexa located here - www.facebook.com/X468HD

Check ultimachine.com for ABS plastic
cdi3d is offline Find More Posts by cdi3d
Old Jan 16, 2012, 10:37 PM
Mexico, JAL, Guadalajara
Joined Nov 2010
106 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by k0mputer View Post
Cool video jfcomg. Is that rvosd you're using?
Hi K0mputer!
The osd is Eagletree osdpro and elogger v4
Old Jan 17, 2012, 12:02 AM
Joined Feb 2011
784 Posts
FLYERDIVER.. I'm pretty sure it's ABS, the printer belongs to a friend of mine.. Can't wait to put the kit together.

CDI3D.. Very sexy camera mount.. Love it. I will pass on the web address for the plastic to my friend. Thanks !!
Old Jan 17, 2012, 12:42 AM
Lafayette,CO
Joined Jan 2009
165 Posts
So will you guys be flying the 3D printed frames or are those just to test for fit? Sorry I'm not really sure how 3D printing works but its very interesting.
flyerdiver is offline Find More Posts by flyerdiver
Old Jan 17, 2012, 09:46 AM
Brushless
Joined Mar 2009
2,066 Posts
I am currently flying the printed parts and they are working great - Nice thing with 3d printing if you can build it in 3d you can print it -
Mike
cdi3d is offline Find More Posts by cdi3d
Old Jan 17, 2012, 12:08 PM
Joined Jan 2011
175 Posts
Is this all I need?

http://www.amazon.com/Eagle-Tree-Sys.../dp/B002JH3SQA

Or do I have to get the elogger too? and the GPS expander unit?
I have no clue on OSD but that eagle trees shows good information.

Quote:
Hi K0mputer!
The osd is Eagletree osdpro and elogger v4
k0mputer is offline Find More Posts by k0mputer
Old Jan 17, 2012, 04:01 PM
UAV Dude KF7HYV
United States, NV, Silver Springs
Joined Mar 2007
1,954 Posts
Quote:

Very nice work. Although I have been outsourcing to have my parts produced via 3D Laser SLS, I have been interested in acquiring my own 3D printer. There are some popular kits around the $1000 price range.

Can you estimate your cost in materials for a single motor mount? I would like to compare to what they usually cost me (Laser SLS), which is around $10.
johnorama is offline Find More Posts by johnorama