HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 11, 2012, 11:56 PM
Joined Jan 2012
3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimNZ View Post
They wouldn't necessarily interfere with each other but you would be best to use the same gyros for the pitch and roll as the gain for these all comes from the same signal and some gyros will work differently from others perhaps making you tri very unstable . But you can use something different for the yaw.
Thanks for the answer looks like I am going to need another GP 780 since I already have two lying around since i converted my helis to FBL. Do you maybe know if they will arm ESCs?
Hakobyan2012 is offline Find More Posts by Hakobyan2012
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 12, 2012, 01:25 AM
Near Cape Town South africa
Joined Mar 2006
221 Posts
Signguys original Tri does just that with a Gyro on each arm per motor and works fine.
Frans Cubitt is offline Find More Posts by Frans Cubitt
Old Jan 12, 2012, 03:11 AM
Auckland New Zealand
Joined Sep 2010
1,294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakobyan2012 View Post
Thanks for the answer looks like I am going to need another GP 780 since I already have two lying around since i converted my helis to FBL. Do you maybe know if they will arm ESCs?
I'm not sure about those gyro's just give them a try.
Someone here may have used them or have advice...anyone ?

@franzcubit

yeah bobs tri works fine but he has the same type of gyro for each arm rather than different types of gyro for each arm
BigJimNZ is offline Find More Posts by BigJimNZ
Old Jan 12, 2012, 03:25 AM
X-Ikarus
United Kingdom, North York
Joined Feb 2003
1,660 Posts
Quote:
They should work
However. 1 gyro will cost around 107
http://www.fast-lad.co.uk/store/prod...oducts_id=9828

I don't think this is economically viable
Careful set up is also required to get a 4 separate gyro system working.

A much easier and cheaper way would be a KK type board
or even better a Wii system if you have the relevant skills to build
and program it.

You could sell the the GP780's to fund the project
50 each should be easily achievable
Reflex1 is offline Find More Posts by Reflex1
Last edited by Reflex1; Jan 12, 2012 at 03:33 AM.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 06:25 PM
Joined Jan 2012
3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reflex1 View Post
They should work
However. 1 gyro will cost around 107
http://www.fast-lad.co.uk/store/prod...oducts_id=9828

I don't think this is economically viable
Careful set up is also required to get a 4 separate gyro system working.

A much easier and cheaper way would be a KK type board
or even better a Wii system if you have the relevant skills to build
and program it.

You could sell the the GP780's to fund the project
50 each should be easily achievable
Thanks for the reply, I will definitely look into that.
Hakobyan2012 is offline Find More Posts by Hakobyan2012
Old Jan 12, 2012, 07:04 PM
RCPlaye
United States, CT, East Hartford
Joined Aug 2009
711 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by opus View Post
BigJimNZ is correct, of course. Prop size is going to be subjective to the weight, arm length, motor speed and your preferences. Unless you have a really slow KV motor or lifting a lot of weight the 12x8 is going to be way overkill. It will greatly increase your amp draw and greatly reduce your flight times. Tell us a little more about your craft and we can suggest some closer sizes. Most people find a much smaller pitch works best. I use mostly APC 10x4.7. Whatever size you pick, you want a good stiff but lightweight blade. The motors rapidly and constantly change speed, so too much weight on the blade will resist that change with inertia.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...ostcount=15180
CoolBudz is offline Find More Posts by CoolBudz
Old Jan 12, 2012, 07:24 PM
X-Ikarus
United Kingdom, North York
Joined Feb 2003
1,660 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the reply, I will definitely look into that.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ol_Board_.html $14.99 + post

Probably your cheapest option
sure. it's loaded for a Quad but the software can be changed for Tri.

although it would be easier to just build a Quad and fly that for awhile

unless you want to get into the programming .....
then just go for the Wii system, it does perform much better

Be aware though these are nothing like Heli's
Much softer , especially nothing like FBL
Reflex1 is offline Find More Posts by Reflex1
Old Jan 12, 2012, 09:07 PM
An ordinary sort of incredible
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Dec 2004
931 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbudz223 View Post
That is a good size to start with. Should be real steady but still have some maneuverability for playing.

(YMMV) These are just my observations. I can be and have been wrong...

There is a fine area between motor size/motor KV/prop size where your amps vs power is just right. Don't worry about measuring it. When you hit it you'll feel the difference in the way it handles. Once you get your power system figured out you can easily get 10-15min of flight time.

Depending on your overall weight, I would go with a APC 10x4.7 or 11x3.8. Everything will change as you add or remove weight (cameras). It should comfortably hover about half throttle. More blade length or faster RPMs will get you more power/punch. I wouldn't go beyond 5 deg on the prop pitch. It will get sluggish with too much pitch.

You can use all CCW blades if with no tilt to your motors. Mechanically add a little bit of extra left yaw by default. Motor should tilt about 5 to 8deg to the right. Physically adjust the angle so the heading/yaw stays steady with out any rudder input. (NOT WITH THE TX) It will help a lot when learning to not have to constantly fight the yaw. If you use both CCW and CW props, I find you still have a 2 to 3 deg adjustment.

I also find that blade strength plays a lot in performance. A blade that doesn't flex a lot, but not thick and heavy is ideal. The heavier a blade is the more inertia it will have. It will resist the quick changes in speed that the tri/quad uses for stability adjustments. Too flexible, and it will feel mushy. I have tried a lot of blades. I keep coming back to the APC branded ones. (grey) I would love to try the CF slow fly blades on GLB, but I still crash a lot. I'd cry if I broke a $60 set of blades.
mr.incredible is offline Find More Posts by mr.incredible
Old Jan 12, 2012, 11:23 PM
Near Cape Town South africa
Joined Mar 2006
221 Posts
I found on my standard Tri that fitting counter rotating props was a pretty useless excersise as it has made no change I can see to the flight pattern.
I must admit I am still learning and do have regular rapid meetings with Mother Earth but its now down to once every week rather than every flight.
I am still amased at how crash resistant Tricopers are
Frans Cubitt is offline Find More Posts by Frans Cubitt
Old Jan 12, 2012, 11:23 PM
Auckland New Zealand
Joined Sep 2010
1,294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by opus View Post
That is a good size to start with. Should be real steady but still have some maneuverability for playing.

(YMMV) These are just my observations. I can be and have been wrong...

There is a fine area between motor size/motor KV/prop size where your amps vs power is just right. Don't worry about measuring it. When you hit it you'll feel the difference in the way it handles. Once you get your power system figured out you can easily get 10-15min of flight time.

Depending on your overall weight, I would go with a APC 10x4.7 or 11x3.8. Everything will change as you add or remove weight (cameras). It should comfortably hover about half throttle. More blade length or faster RPMs will get you more power/punch. I wouldn't go beyond 5 deg on the prop pitch. It will get sluggish with too much pitch.

You can use all CCW blades if with no tilt to your motors. Mechanically add a little bit of extra left yaw by default. Motor should tilt about 5 to 8deg to the right. Physically adjust the angle so the heading/yaw stays steady with out any rudder input. (NOT WITH THE TX) It will help a lot when learning to not have to constantly fight the yaw. If you use both CCW and CW props, I find you still have a 2 to 3 deg adjustment.

I also find that blade strength plays a lot in performance. A blade that doesn't flex a lot, but not thick and heavy is ideal. The heavier a blade is the more inertia it will have. It will resist the quick changes in speed that the tri/quad uses for stability adjustments. Too flexible, and it will feel mushy. I have tried a lot of blades. I keep coming back to the APC branded ones. (grey) I would love to try the CF slow fly blades on GLB, but I still crash a lot. I'd cry if I broke a $60 set of blades.
+1 well said
Old Jan 13, 2012, 06:35 AM
An ordinary sort of incredible
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Dec 2004
931 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frans Cubitt View Post
I found on my standard Tri that fitting counter rotating props was a pretty useless excersise as it has made no change I can see to the flight pattern.
I must admit I am still learning and do have regular rapid meetings with Mother Earth but its now down to once every week rather than every flight.
I am still amased at how crash resistant Tricopers are
I'm flying better now-a-days too. Most of my crashes now are due to obstacle avoidance. I continue to try to fly in the yard. When I get too close to things I panic and do stupid stuff.

Make sure you check the motors well after each crash. The tricopter may be rugged but the motors can have damage that is not readily visible. I learned that the hard way too. One bent shaft, one slipped shaft that caused the bell to cut the windings, that fried an ESC the next time I spun it up.
mr.incredible is offline Find More Posts by mr.incredible
Old Jan 13, 2012, 02:08 PM
Mexico, JAL, Guadalajara
Joined Nov 2010
106 Posts
My First Tricopter

Hi Group.
First i want to thank all the entusiast that share their experiences in this groups. i have been learning a lot in this forums about RC.
Today i have my first succesful FPV Tricopter flight, So i want to share my little experience in tricopters.

This is my frame.

Tricopter: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1397479

HK 2210N 1000Kv Brushless motor
10 x 4.5 prop. -1 is cr.
Blue bird steel gears servo for yaw
KK Blackboard
Esc: 18a Hobbywing
HobbyKing UBEC 3A / 2-6s LiPO
Hobby King 900mhz 800mw video combo (stock antenna for the moment)
wide angle lens
Eagle tree osdpro eloggerv4
2200mah 30c battery for frame
1000mah 10c battery for video
Radio Flysky with frsky module 5dbi antenna.

Any comments are welcome.

Here is the video of the firsrt succesful FPV flight
first succesful Fpv flight on tricopter.ASF (1 min 46 sec)
jfcomg is offline Find More Posts by jfcomg
Old Jan 13, 2012, 04:13 PM
Fly, crash, rebuild.
United States, NY, Shelter Island
Joined May 2011
873 Posts
Tricopter arm collection.

and I thought I was getting better at flying this contraption.....
Name: IMG_3228.jpg
Views: 110
Size: 300.2 KB
Description:
shelterock is offline Find More Posts by shelterock
Old Jan 13, 2012, 10:32 PM
Auckland New Zealand
Joined Sep 2010
1,294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelterock View Post
and i thought i was getting better at flying this contraption.....
Attachment 4550335

Heh he he I have a pile of props like that
Old Jan 13, 2012, 11:10 PM
RCPlaye
United States, CT, East Hartford
Joined Aug 2009
711 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelterock View Post
and I thought I was getting better at flying this contraption.....
Attachment 4550335
lol
CoolBudz is offline Find More Posts by CoolBudz