Old Jan 04, 2012, 05:49 PM
An ordinary sort of incredible
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Dec 2004
931 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebgrian View Post
Hi, Opus

this is a great looking tricopter. Is it going to be Ok if I follow your build? I have a quad, but want to build a tri and I realy like the design with the rotating boom. I have the glass fiber booms http://www.goodluckbuy.com/glass-fib...lticoptor.html from glb on my quad and I like them, they feel pretty strong and were tested in few crashes For motor mounts I'm planning to use this parts from glb http://www.goodluckbuy.com/al-cnc-me...-dual-tri.html . I already received them and they look good, tight fit and light.
Of course you can follow it, copy it, steal it, sell it... One big happy family here. I'm happy to see when someone takes interest in my sh*t.

I just ordered those booms. I do like those motor mounts. I just tried to make the aluminum "U" bolts. I think the aluminum I used was too soft. It stripped out too easily. I am going to look for some harder alloy aluminum and try with actual 3mm stock. Using the 1/8 th inch, the die has to remove too much material. The threads aren't that great.
mr.incredible is offline Find More Posts by mr.incredible
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 04, 2012, 08:30 PM
Joined Oct 2011
1 Posts
Hi there...my name is dhilib..im from malaysia..currently im doing my final semester project which is tricopter...i hope you could help me on few things..im still unsure to use what type of arm to build my tricopter..wood or aluminium..which one do you suggest??
thiliban is offline Find More Posts by thiliban
Old Jan 04, 2012, 08:38 PM
Multi Rotor Maniac
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Oct 2007
2,796 Posts
Start with wood and prepare a few extra arms for crash repairs. Wood absorbs the vibrations better so its more forgiving if you havent balanced your props and motors correctly.
Stunt Double is offline Find More Posts by Stunt Double
Old Jan 04, 2012, 09:50 PM
RCPlaye
United States, CT, East Hartford
Joined Aug 2009
711 Posts
Wood is much better, especially for a beginner, like me
CoolBudz is offline Find More Posts by CoolBudz
Old Jan 05, 2012, 01:51 AM
United States, PA, Greene
Joined Jan 2005
314 Posts
Wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by thiliban View Post
Hi there...my name is dhilib..im from malaysia..currently im doing my final semester project which is tricopter...i hope you could help me on few things..im still unsure to use what type of arm to build my tricopter..wood or aluminium..which one do you suggest??
Hi dhilib. Wood is real easy to work with. I covered mine with florescent Yellow covering I got at the Hobby Shop. Looks nice and I should be able to see it in the air pretty good. I used 1/2 x 1/2 inch wood from Home Depot. My next one that I build will use 5/8 x 5/8 inch wood, just to make it a little stronger. Probably not necessary but I will try it.

Good luck,
st99
st99 is offline Find More Posts by st99
Old Jan 05, 2012, 04:52 AM
Ilford,Essex, UK
Joined May 2006
1,941 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reflex1 View Post
Jeff. I had a look through the attachments on the Multiwii thread
This looks like yours
http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/at...-wiiclone1.jpg

I'd assume
Green is 0V
Red is +ve (pin 12 on the Arduino)
Yellow SDA
Orange SCL

it's safe to swap SDA and SCL if it doesn't work
and test again.

I haven't used this board, so I can't be certain

Have a look through the other pics. maybe you can get a clue for the other connections
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/thumb...gallery&page=2
Hi Paul thanks for that The board shown is not quite the same but I bet the pinout are correct (got to risk it)

Green is ground
Red is positive
The others are take your pick

I have been through the attachments on the multiwii thread and found some that show my NK and WM+ boards and sent two pm and posted several times Have had one guy try to help.

Could you have a look at the attachments on post 7402 on page 494 Multiwii thread

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...61382&page=494

This guy (Schorschi) is using the same NK and WM+ board as mine. I sent a pm several days ago but no response would be grateful if you could cast your knowledgeable eyes over it, they can make better sense of it than mine

Regards and happy new year Jeff
Upup is offline Find More Posts by Upup
Old Jan 05, 2012, 05:07 AM
X-Ikarus
United Kingdom, North York
Joined Feb 2003
1,679 Posts
Your best bet imo is to wire it with the WM+ board first
Once you have that working then add the NK using the NK connections
in your quoted post.

http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/at...443-188-NC.jpg

Paul
Reflex1 is offline Find More Posts by Reflex1
Old Jan 05, 2012, 06:39 AM
Ilford,Essex, UK
Joined May 2006
1,941 Posts
Quote:
Your best bet imo is to wire it with the WM+ board first
Once you have that working then add the NK using the NK connections
in your quoted post.

http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/at...443-188-NC.jpg

Paul
Yes I think that is the way to go one skittle at a time, but I still need to find the configuration from the WM+ board to NK

Can you tell me which sketch should I load?

Thanks for your help
Old Jan 05, 2012, 06:45 AM
X-Ikarus
United Kingdom, North York
Joined Feb 2003
1,679 Posts
Try 1.8 first
and let us know, how it goes.

Gyro's first
then we can look at the NK
Reflex1 is offline Find More Posts by Reflex1
Old Jan 05, 2012, 08:06 AM
Ilford,Essex, UK
Joined May 2006
1,941 Posts
Quote:
Try 1.8 first
and let us know, how it goes.

Gyro's first
then we can look at the NK
Roger that!

Thanks

Jeff
Last edited by Upup; Jan 05, 2012 at 08:11 AM.
Old Jan 05, 2012, 08:25 AM
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Dec 2010
95 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by opus View Post
Of course you can follow it, copy it, steal it, sell it... One big happy family here. I'm happy to see when someone takes interest in my sh*t.

I just ordered those booms. I do like those motor mounts. I just tried to make the aluminum "U" bolts. I think the aluminum I used was too soft. It stripped out too easily. I am going to look for some harder alloy aluminum and try with actual 3mm stock. Using the 1/8 th inch, the die has to remove too much material. The threads aren't that great.
Sounds good, Opus. I ordered the bearings from ebay and trying to decide on the material for the central platform. I'm thinking of using either plywood or FR4 PCB. I see you've used G10, how hard is to work with that material?

Update: Did some reading and it looks like FR4 is the fire-retardant version of G-10.
thebgrian is offline Find More Posts by thebgrian
Last edited by thebgrian; Jan 05, 2012 at 08:49 AM.
Old Jan 05, 2012, 01:20 PM
Lafayette,CO
Joined Jan 2009
165 Posts
Well the cold issue on the tricopter wasn't insulation at all. Although insulating it does keep my osd from flickering during flight. David over at rcexplorer.se said to let the board get down to temperature then do a throttle end-point calibration. Well that sure did it. Now it starts right up and no drift in -30.
flyerdiver is offline Find More Posts by flyerdiver
Old Jan 05, 2012, 03:18 PM
Urban Aerial Photography
Bucharest, Romania
Joined Sep 2009
355 Posts
Thank you all who made this possible:
Airborne New Year's Eve fireworks show- Bucharest-Romania (3 min 33 sec)
dramida is offline Find More Posts by dramida
Old Jan 05, 2012, 06:03 PM
RCPlaye
United States, CT, East Hartford
Joined Aug 2009
711 Posts
looks like someone tried to shoot you down 38 seconds in
CoolBudz is offline Find More Posts by CoolBudz
Old Jan 05, 2012, 06:25 PM
An ordinary sort of incredible
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Dec 2004
931 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebgrian View Post
Sounds good, Opus. I ordered the bearings from ebay and trying to decide on the material for the central platform. I'm thinking of using either plywood or FR4 PCB. I see you've used G10, how hard is to work with that material?

Update: Did some reading and it looks like FR4 is the fire-retardant version of G-10.
Exactly, same thing. PCB is just a different color. A whole 12" x 24" sheet of 1/16th inch G10/FR4 from McMaster Carr is only $20. I generally use a diamond blade (tile blade) on a table saw to do the rough cuts. Then I use various sanding devices to finely shape. Make sure you use a good dust mask. You don't want the fiberglass and epoxy dust in your sinus/lungs. I attach a shop vac to catch a lot of the dust.

For the arms you may want to start with wood. Like was just previously said, it is a lot more forgiving in crashes. You will crash alot. You can get 1/8th or 1/4 inch plywood from most hobby shops for the frame. Lowes and Home Depot sells Poplar 1/2" square sticks. Poplar is a good hard but light weight wood.
mr.incredible is offline Find More Posts by mr.incredible
Last edited by mr.incredible; Jan 05, 2012 at 06:31 PM.