SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Dec 31, 2011, 01:53 PM
Registered User
flyerdiver's Avatar
Lafayette,CO
Joined Jan 2009
165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternalflight View Post
I am building one at this time. Maybe this will help.
What is that material and where did you get it?
flyerdiver is offline Find More Posts by flyerdiver
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 31, 2011, 04:34 PM
Registered User
BigJimNZ's Avatar
Auckland New Zealand
Joined Sep 2010
1,296 Posts
Happy new year from down under. All the best
BigJimNZ is offline Find More Posts by BigJimNZ
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2011, 06:13 PM
"I want more air time!"
Eternalflight's Avatar
Joined May 2008
1,165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyerdiver View Post
What is that material and where did you get it?
It's G10, mine is .046 thick. Purchase mine at Amazon.


http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...Q7J2&x=18&y=17

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=485464
Eternalflight is offline Find More Posts by Eternalflight
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Eternalflight; Dec 31, 2011 at 06:55 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2011, 07:08 PM
RCPlaye
United States, CT, East Hartford
Joined Aug 2009
711 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternalflight View Post
Isnt that the material rc explorer uses for his tricopter? cause ive been looking for that all over the place.
CoolBudz is offline Find More Posts by CoolBudz
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2011, 07:43 PM
"I want more air time!"
Eternalflight's Avatar
Joined May 2008
1,165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbudz223 View Post
Isnt that the material rc explorer uses for his tricopter? cause ive been looking for that all over the place.
Yes! I had bought a couple sheets back months ago for his past project also purchased the next thickness up to compare.

Go to Amazon and search, B0013HQ73S for .062"

I was happy with .046. Tri's need to be light as possible. It's good he came up with a way not to use the G-10 motor mounts and just wire tie the motors to the wood. Plus you'll need less nuts and bolts.
Eternalflight is offline Find More Posts by Eternalflight
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Eternalflight; Jan 02, 2012 at 02:47 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 01, 2012, 09:19 PM
An ordinary sort of incredible
mr.incredible's Avatar
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Dec 2004
931 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternalflight View Post
Yes! I had bought a couple sheets back months ago for his past project also purchased the next thickness up to compare.

Go to Amazon and search, B0013HQ73S for .0062"

I was happy with .046. Tri's need to be light as possible. It's good he came up with a way not to use the G-10 motor mounts and just wire tie the motors to the wood. Plus you'll need less nuts and bolts.
McMaster Carr carries a great line of G10 products Click on the color black to filter down a smaller selection. I use 1/16th" (.0625) for frames, 1/8th" (.125) for motor mounts. I just finished building a new Tricopter. I will post picts soon.
mr.incredible is offline Find More Posts by mr.incredible
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 02, 2012, 10:43 PM
Registered User
flyerdiver's Avatar
Lafayette,CO
Joined Jan 2009
165 Posts
Well I think I have the problem mostly sorted with the cold. I used some foam that was laying around the shop. Cut to shape and zipped around the frame. Now the OSD and KK board are sandwiched between the foam. Scraps were used to pack the area between the top and bottom plate and I cut out a square plug above the board so that gains could be adjusted or a hand warmer placed on top if I need to. She's pretty ugly with her jackets on but it does the job. I let it cold soak outside for about 10 minutes before I plugged it in and it started right up. Also it's the coldest its been yet, -40 and she flies! Still have some minor drift from the gyros cooling down further but it is very reasonable. Now it's time to go get some beautiful footage of this state if I can just get some time off now!!!
flyerdiver is offline Find More Posts by flyerdiver
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 02, 2012, 11:19 PM
"I want more air time!"
Eternalflight's Avatar
Joined May 2008
1,165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by opus View Post
McMaster Carr carries a great line of G10 products Click on the color black to filter down a smaller selection. I use 1/16th" (.0625) for frames, 1/8th" (.125) for motor mounts. I just finished building a new Tricopter. I will post picts soon.
Thats what I like, you have a choice of some colors. I will give it a try the next time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyerdiver View Post
Well I think I have the problem mostly sorted with the cold. I used some foam that was laying around the shop. Cut to shape and zipped around the frame. Now the OSD and KK board are sandwiched between the foam. Scraps were used to pack the area between the top and bottom plate and I cut out a square plug above the board so that gains could be adjusted or a hand warmer placed on top if I need to. She's pretty ugly with her jackets on but it does the job. I let it cold soak outside for about 10 minutes before I plugged it in and it started right up. Also it's the coldest its been yet, -40 and she flies! Still have some minor drift from the gyros cooling down further but it is very reasonable. Now it's time to go get some beautiful footage of this state if I can just get some time off now!!!
Tri looks cozy Hope you have some good times with it soon.
Hey flyerdiver, is that your toy next to that Tri?
Eternalflight is offline Find More Posts by Eternalflight
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 03, 2012, 12:27 AM
Registered User
flyerdiver's Avatar
Lafayette,CO
Joined Jan 2009
165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternalflight View Post
Thats what I like, you have a choice of some colors. I will give it a try the next time.



Tri looks cozy Hope you have some good times with it soon.
Hey flyerdiver, is that your toy next to that Tri?
Sadly no It's my boss'. He uses it to scout new landing areas and improve some areas so we can get our super cubs in. Hopefully I can start working on my add-on this summer. My toy is the medevac Navajo in the other hanger
flyerdiver is offline Find More Posts by flyerdiver
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 03, 2012, 09:09 PM
An ordinary sort of incredible
mr.incredible's Avatar
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Dec 2004
931 Posts
My Latest Tricopter

Here is my latest Tricopter. (my only) I generally cannibalize my previous version to make my newest. This one I went with the whole tail rotating. Like the Scarab Tri, but my design was way first. (several months ago) It is a really stable way of running the yaw. The only weight on the tail now is the motor, just like the other two struts. Basically it is two Traxxas 18mm X 12mm X 4mm bearings inside of two clamping blocks. The boom slides inside the bearings. There is a fiberglass ring with set screw on the inside and outside to keep the tail boom from sliding out. I used 3/8th inch (10mm) thick G10 to make my boom arm clamps and the motor mount clamps. I like using the 10mm on the boom clamps it worked out pretty well. For the motor mount clamps I will be changing to these, or even home made aluminum "U" bolts.

The motor mounts are cut from 1/8th inch G10 (3.175mm)

The frame is G10 1/16th inch (roughly 1.6mm) Strong and light weight.

The booms are the super cheapo carbon fiber from HK. Pretty but not that strong. I'm going to try these Fiberglass ones from GLB.

For the landing gear I used two sets of these from HK with some green foam balls glued on the ends. They are really strong and the weight is negligible.

Boom length - 250mm center to shaft.

My electronics:
MultiWii 1.9 (latest)
Arduino Pro Mini
Original WMP (no ACC, Bar, Mag)
Jussi's 1.1 shield
Motors - http://www.hobbypartz.com/75m40-opti...15-1200kv.html (They have been out of stock forever. That is why the mismatched motor on the tail)
ESC - http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=15205 (a little heavy and overkill, but never even get warm)
Battery - http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=20436 (Excellent battery! same weight as the Zippy 2.2 3S. I'm getting 15min flight time easy!)
Props - APC 10x4.7 CCW and CW

It flies like a dream. I can't wait to get some FPV gear now.
mr.incredible is offline Find More Posts by mr.incredible
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 03, 2012, 10:32 PM
Registered User
flyerdiver's Avatar
Lafayette,CO
Joined Jan 2009
165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by opus View Post
Here is my latest Tricopter. (my only) I generally cannibalize my previous version to make my newest. This one I went with the whole tail rotating. Like the Scarab Tri, but my design was way first. (several months ago) It is a really stable way of running the yaw. The only weight on the tail now is the motor, just like the other two struts. Basically it is two Traxxas 18mm X 12mm X 4mm bearings inside of two clamping blocks. The boom slides inside the bearings. There is a fiberglass ring with set screw on the inside and outside to keep the tail boom from sliding out. I used 3/8th inch (10mm) thick G10 to make my boom arm clamps and the motor mount clamps. I like using the 10mm on the boom clamps it worked out pretty well. For the motor mount clamps I will be changing to these, or even home made aluminum "U" bolts.

The motor mounts are cut from 1/8th inch G10 (3.175mm)

The frame is G10 1/16th inch (roughly 1.6mm) Strong and light weight.

The booms are the super cheapo carbon fiber from HK. Pretty but not that strong. I'm going to try these Fiberglass ones from GLB.

For the landing gear I used two sets of these from HK with some green foam balls glued on the ends. They are really strong and the weight is negligible.

Boom length - 250mm center to shaft.

My electronics:
MultiWii 1.9 (latest)
Arduino Pro Mini
Original WMP (no ACC, Bar, Mag)
Jussi's 1.1 shield
Motors - http://www.hobbypartz.com/75m40-opti...15-1200kv.html (They have been out of stock forever. That is why the mismatched motor on the tail)
ESC - http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=15205 (a little heavy and overkill, but never even get warm)
Battery - http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=20436 (Excellent battery! same weight as the Zippy 2.2 3S. I'm getting 15min flight time easy!)
Props - APC 10x4.7 CCW and CW

It flies like a dream. I can't wait to get some FPV gear now.

That looks very well designed. I'm looking forward to trying g10 on my next design. I have gone through the 10 frames I cut out of Dibond to either friends of crashes and I hope g10 will be my new material.

Are those CF booms braided or extruded with the weave design pained on them? I had some extruded booms but they didn't last very long. They developed fractures and I replaced them before I had a failure. I use half inch poplar booms now, but cf takes off a lot of weight.

Also where did you find the attachment points for the booms at the frame and motor mount side? I like that way if using round booms. All in all it looks like a great build. FPV is the only way to fly a tri in my humble opinion, cant wait to see some videos from you.
flyerdiver is offline Find More Posts by flyerdiver
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 03, 2012, 10:51 PM
An ordinary sort of incredible
mr.incredible's Avatar
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Dec 2004
931 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyerdiver View Post
That looks very well designed. I'm looking forward to trying g10 on my next design. I have gone through the 10 frames I cut out of Dibond to either friends of crashes and I hope g10 will be my new material.

Are those CF booms braided or extruded with the weave design pained on them? I had some extruded booms but they didn't last very long. They developed fractures and I replaced them before I had a failure. I use half inch poplar booms now, but cf takes off a lot of weight.

Also where did you find the attachment points for the booms at the frame and motor mount side? I like that way if using round booms. All in all it looks like a great build. FPV is the only way to fly a tri in my humble opinion, cant wait to see some videos from you.
The booms are braided CF but verrry thin. I already snapped one in an encounter with a tree and ground situation.

The boom clamps and motor mount clamps are 10mm G10 blocks drilled with big 12mm drill bit. There is a cut through on one side. When you through screw from top to bottom it clamps evenly around the whole boom. Very tight. The motor mount end clamps just screw up from the bottom with self tapping screws. I'm not as happy with those. The G10 doesn't thread well and splits. I had to fill the holes with CA and let the screw set up then remove the screw and fit it to the boom.

I will be replacing with aluminum "U" bolts. I will make them myself with 1/8th inch aluminum rod. I'll bend about 3/4 of the way, thread the rod ends with 3mm die then finish the bend. I am a little bit worried about it crushing the boom material.
mr.incredible is offline Find More Posts by mr.incredible
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 04, 2012, 10:52 AM
Registered User
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Dec 2010
95 Posts
Hi, Opus

this is a great looking tricopter. Is it going to be Ok if I follow your build? I have a quad, but want to build a tri and I realy like the design with the rotating boom. I have the glass fiber booms http://www.goodluckbuy.com/glass-fib...lticoptor.html from glb on my quad and I like them, they feel pretty strong and were tested in few crashes For motor mounts I'm planning to use this parts from glb http://www.goodluckbuy.com/al-cnc-me...-dual-tri.html . I already received them and they look good, tight fit and light.
thebgrian is offline Find More Posts by thebgrian
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 04, 2012, 03:28 PM
Registered User
Upup's Avatar
Ilford,Essex, UK
Joined May 2006
1,959 Posts
I am trying to find out the pin outs identification from this board to the arduino and the NK there seems to be so many variations of WM+,electronics are a struggle for me so I worry if I have the correct wiring configuration

There are 6 connections along the top of the board in the photo some go to the NK which ones are which.

Seven connections just left off the centre of the board some go the Arduino again which ones are used and what is their function

Again mine is the board on the left

Can anyone help Jeff
Upup is online now Find More Posts by Upup
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 04, 2012, 05:33 PM
X-Ikarus
Reflex1's Avatar
United Kingdom, North York
Joined Feb 2003
1,709 Posts
Jeff. I had a look through the attachments on the Multiwii thread
This looks like yours
http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/at...-wiiclone1.jpg

I'd assume
Green is 0V
Red is +ve (pin 12 on the Arduino)
Yellow SDA
Orange SCL

it's safe to swap SDA and SCL if it doesn't work
and test again.

I haven't used this board, so I can't be certain

Have a look through the other pics. maybe you can get a clue for the other connections
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/thumb...gallery&page=2
Reflex1 is offline Find More Posts by Reflex1
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Yet another tricopter build. !!Updated parts list!! SebastianJ Multirotor Talk 2669 Dec 30, 2011 05:48 PM
Discussion What to do? Failed tricopter build! Razor_Racer Coaxial Helicopters 9 Mar 07, 2011 09:20 AM
Discussion Tricopter Build Razor_Racer Coaxial Helicopters 21 Feb 20, 2010 08:24 PM
Build Log Tricopter build SebastianJ VTOLs 1 Dec 22, 2008 04:34 PM
Discussion Trying to build a mechanically actuated tricopter, Help! stefalo Coaxial Helicopters 3 Jan 09, 2008 04:10 PM