HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 03, 2011, 07:33 AM
Joined Feb 2011
895 Posts
Did some more flying today? Getting better at FPV I think. This time I went for height. Pretty scary if something decides to fail up there..
Tricopter FPV Flight 3rd Dec 2011 (2 min 10 sec)

Later on i went to yarras edge, it is not FPV but sick of flying around the park, just something different
Tricopter At Yarra's Edge (5 min 5 sec)
jbalat is offline Find More Posts by jbalat
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 03, 2011, 09:59 PM
An ordinary sort of incredible
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Dec 2004
932 Posts
Airborne again!

Finally, I'm airborne again, after about 3 months being down due to a dead arduino pro mini and a serious lack of cash. I had a problem where I couldn't get the motors to arm. In my attempts to trouble shoot I accidentally plugged one of my ESC control leads into its jack off by one pin. That put 5 volts on the signal pin of the jack. It didn't like it. I received my new pro mini yesterday. It turns out I still had the arming problem after replacing the arduino. Traced it to an open somewhere on the throttle control connection on the shield. I resoldered a few of the connections and that didn't help. The open must be under the promini socket. I just soldered a jumper from the throttle control directly to the socket. That did the trick. It is on the under side of the board anyway. It will never be seen.

All of the tinkering and rebuilding I did in the down time really paid off. I loaded MultiwiiV1.9 and checked all my motor spins and controls. It flew beautifully on the first try. No vibes, no wobbles and plenty of power. I am a happy guy!
mr.incredible is offline Find More Posts by mr.incredible
Old Dec 04, 2011, 01:20 AM
Joined Feb 2011
895 Posts
Opus I notice that in windy conditions my Tricopter seems to twitch a lot, is that something related to the 'I' value which is a rate thing I think ?
Old Dec 04, 2011, 10:17 AM
Joined Dec 2004
932 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbalat View Post
Opus I notice that in windy conditions my Tricopter seems to twitch a lot, is that something related to the 'I' value which is a rate thing I think ?
I'm not sure. I usually don't have to mess with the I and D values much. (or at all) I have always gone by this tutorial from one of the early masters. Shikra http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1375728. Warthox usually flies with pretty close to stock PIDs. Currently mine IS stock. I am quite pleased with its handling. I may need to adjust if I ever get a chance to do FPV. Hopefully soon.
Old Dec 04, 2011, 02:26 PM
United States, MD, Easton
Joined Nov 2007
12 Posts
Hi guys -- question about power to the yaw/tail server on my tricopter:

Paris v4 (from July 2011) running 1.7 code with a separate, switching BEC (CC 10 amp). Everything calibrated, etc. and did the maiden flight no problems. I clip all 3 ESC power/red wires and now I have no power to the yaw servo. The board and receiver light up but yaw servo is dead.

I realize if I re-connect 1 of the ESC power wires I'll probably get my tail servo back, but the MultiWii site indicates that may create noise/interference and that all 3 ESC red wires should be disconnected.

Does anyone know definitively the best way to power the yaw servo ?

Thank you....
schmick is offline Find More Posts by schmick
Old Dec 04, 2011, 04:32 PM
The way of being is doing.
Italia, Emilia Romagna, Ravenna
Joined Apr 2009
434 Posts
Hy guys I'm building my first tricopter (I'm a rc airplane pilot) and I would like to advise me a good board controller... I was thinking a KK Plush 5.5e http://www.multircshop.com/site/inde...product_id=594

What do you say, can go ?
IMEIV is offline Find More Posts by IMEIV
Old Dec 04, 2011, 05:52 PM
Joined Feb 2011
895 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by opus View Post
I'm not sure. I usually don't have to mess with the I and D values much. (or at all) I have always gone by this tutorial from one of the early masters. Shikra http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1375728. Warthox usually flies with pretty close to stock PIDs. Currently mine IS stock. I am quite pleased with its handling. I may need to adjust if I ever get a chance to do FPV. Hopefully soon.
After reading that looks like my D value may be too high !!.. I will have a play. Thanks JB
Old Dec 04, 2011, 10:35 PM
Joined Feb 2011
895 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmick View Post
Does anyone know definitively the best way to power the yaw servo ?
Thank you....
I used this pic to wire up my multiwii
Old Dec 05, 2011, 04:13 AM
Joined Feb 2011
895 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMEIV View Post
Hy guys I'm building my first tricopter (I'm a rc airplane pilot) and I would like to advise me a good board controller... I was thinking a KK Plush 5.5e http://www.multircshop.com/site/inde...product_id=594

That looks expensive...
You can build your own just go to multiwii.com or go to hobby king and get the version 2 kk board for about $25 then flash it for a Tricopter. They also sell the cable now for about $5.

Check out this build log for a really simple yaw design.
http://www.rcexplorer.se/files/tricopterv25.html
Old Dec 05, 2011, 08:40 AM
Joined Apr 2009
434 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbalat View Post
That looks expensive...
You can build your own just go to multiwii.com or go to hobby king and get the version 2 kk board for about $25 then flash it for a Tricopter. They also sell the cable now for about $5.

Check out this build log for a really simple yaw design.
http://www.rcexplorer.se/files/tricopterv25.html
Yes the price of the control board is the same of HK but the higher price is due to the LCD screen. Ok KKboard of hobbyking is cheaper but at the level of functionality and reliability, what are the differences between the two boards ?
Old Dec 05, 2011, 09:03 AM
Arizona Rim Country
Joined Nov 2001
498 Posts
Taking it to the next level

http://www.flixxy.com/worlds-first-m...ulticopter.htm
pcaffeldt is offline Find More Posts by pcaffeldt
Old Dec 05, 2011, 09:21 AM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,600 Posts
Quote:
Yes the price of the control board is the same of HK but the higher price is due to the LCD screen. Ok KKboard of hobbyking is cheaper but at the level of functionality and reliability, what are the differences between the two boards ?
I'm using the tricopter V2.5 for my FPV ship and like it just fine. As for the KK...they're gyro based only...i.e. no Auto-Level capability. Most of the Multi-Wii's have or can have accelerometers added to give it both Acro and Auto-level capable flight modes. I had a KK, sold it for a better controller (QuadRino in my case). I fly mainly in Acro mode, but it's nice to have auto-level if you need it.
Vantasstic is offline Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 05, 2011, 10:38 AM
Joined Dec 2004
932 Posts
Quote:

Vantasstic is right. The KK is great if you just want to do some basic flying. Gyro based boards can be slow to react especially in wind. Here is another clone. http://www.goodluckbuy.com/kkmultico...adcopter-.html Also check out their multicopter section. There are lots of cheap components and frames. For a Multiwii copter start with the Paris board or I like Jussi's shield. Jussi also has a great full board.
Old Dec 05, 2011, 11:10 AM
Joined Apr 2009
434 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantasstic View Post
I'm using the tricopter V2.5 for my FPV ship and like it just fine. As for the KK...they're gyro based only...i.e. no Auto-Level capability. Most of the Multi-Wii's have or can have accelerometers added to give it both Acro and Auto-level capable flight modes. I had a KK, sold it for a better controller (QuadRino in my case). I fly mainly in Acro mode, but it's nice to have auto-level if you need it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by opus View Post
Vantasstic is right. The KK is great if you just want to do some basic flying. Gyro based boards can be slow to react especially in wind. Here is another clone. http://www.goodluckbuy.com/kkmultico...adcopter-.html Also check out their multicopter section. There are lots of cheap components and frames. For a Multiwii copter start with the Paris board or I like Jussi's shield. Jussi also has a great full board.
Yes I understand.. I have a flying wing Zephyr with a RangeVideo OSD. Auto-pilot and others automatic features that I have in my plane are very nice but I'm not an expert of multicopters so in this case it will be more simple to start with a simple control board.. One step at a time..

But however, for information, I would like to know names or links of the control boards with Auto-level capable flight. Can you suggest...?
Old Dec 05, 2011, 11:52 AM
Joined Dec 2004
932 Posts
Quote:
Yes I understand.. I have a flying wing Zephyr with a RangeVideo OSD. Auto-pilot and others automatic features that I have in my plane are very nice but I'm not an expert of multicopters so in this case it will be more simple to start with a simple control board.. One step at a time..

But however, for information, I would like to know names or links of the control boards with Auto-level capable flight. Can you suggest...?
Best place to start is the MultiWii Copter thread. It is a huge thread but just about everything related has been discussed there. If you have no experience with helis, you might want to get the autoleveling components. It will help quite a bit in learning to fly. Other than FF, flight it is not the same as a plank.