HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 18, 2009, 10:56 PM
Brushless
Joined Mar 2009
2,063 Posts
Dave - My Eagletree says about 13-15.8 amps at hover with the 12x6" props on - Not to bad - 17.51 while punching it was the highest -

Mike
cdi3d is online now Find More Posts by cdi3d
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 19, 2009, 02:28 AM
Worn-out the seat of my pants
Dorset UK
Joined Dec 2006
922 Posts
Hey mike, if you get the chance, post some current draw figures for any other props you try. Many thanks.
Ad
Lomcevac is offline Find More Posts by Lomcevac
Old Nov 19, 2009, 07:45 AM
Swansea, Massachusetts
Joined Dec 2004
2,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by etman View Post
Hi signguy,

I'm very impressed by your tricopter build thread. I really like the low cost and simplicity of it. Simple things are the best.

Currently I'm flying my camera on an EPP eagle and would like to explore putting my camera on a tricopter for closeup and indoor shots. Some thoughts in my mind before I take the plunge.

Protection
How reliable is it to carry a 7 oz (200 g) P & S camera.
Any way to make it crash proof.
Would an extended heliopter style skid help.
How about those carbon rods with balls at the ends they use for helicopter training.

A 7 oz camera is no problem at all, that is about what I fly

Crash proof, No ( if you can find a way, I'll patent it and we can make millions)

The rod and ball thing for helis is to stop it from tipping over, you don't need them on the tricopter because it is already sitting close to the ground. But you could extend the booms past the end of the props for some protection.

Control Stability
You mentioned there was a sudden accidental climb, that nearly crashed your tricopter. Anyway to prevent that. Was it due to too much weight overloading the power system. Would lower kV motor with larger props help. How to calculate the maximum loading for a tricopter?
Do tricopters autorotate when out of juice?

Most of my problems with the tri are behind me, any problems now come from my thumbs.

I calculated the weight I could carry by strapping more and more on till it felt unsafe to fly. I can lift 24oz plus the weight of the tri and battery.

Tricopters become homesick manhole covers when they run out of power. You MUST fly with an audible voltage alarm, and shut off your speed control LVC.

Camera
Regards to framing the shot, any way to steady the rolling and yawing. How about video downlink or a laser pointer for aiming.

I steady the rolling and yawing with my thumbs.

I can't fly by looking at a downlink, but if you have someone with you, it should work.

Components
For which components is it critical to buy a good quality one? e.g. gyros, servos, esc.
The GYROS!! Don't get any other gyros unless you want to end up with a pile of them that don't work with speed controls. I know, I have a pile. The speed controls would be next. Get the SS or turnigy. If you have three castles already, use those.

If you order what I have listed, and follow the plans, your tricopter WILL fly just like mine does. Ask Mike, he'll tell ya'

Bob D
signguy is offline Find More Posts by signguy
Old Nov 19, 2009, 11:51 AM
Nova Scotia Canada
Joined Jan 2004
1,019 Posts
Bob D:

It's a big help having had someone go through the teething problems on a project. The clear and concise way you have presented your information on the Tricopter has given me confidence to order the list of components from Hobby City. I have dealt with them for two years and find them excellent value for dollars spent.
I have been doing aerial photography for 5 years with fixed wing, but have had to turn down projects where limited space is a problem. I bought a Draganfly quad last year but found it to be flimsy and toy like.

Your Tricopter is simple, functional and tough and I am looking forward to the building and flying of it.

John
John O'Sullivan is offline Find More Posts by John O'Sullivan
Old Nov 19, 2009, 11:57 AM
Swansea, Massachusetts
Joined Dec 2004
2,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John O'Sullivan View Post
Bob D:

It's a big help having had someone go through the teething problems on a project. The clear and concise way you have presented your information on the Tricopter has given me confidence to order the list of components from Hobby City. I have dealt with them for two years and find them excellent value for dollars spent.
I have been doing aerial photography for 5 years with fixed wing, but have had to turn down projects where limited space is a problem. I bought a Draganfly quad last year but found it to be flimsy and toy like.

Your Tricopter is simple, functional and tough and I am looking forward to the building and flying of it.

John
go for it John. I have never flown the dragonflyer, but it does look a little light weight. This tricopter is well proven, and has taken pictures in some very small spaces. The learning curve for flying it is not too bad. And any crashes during the curve don't cost much to repair. I would recomend a wood frame to start. It is very strong, and when built using the aluminum clips to hold the arms, will survive crashes.

Have fun
Bob D
Old Nov 19, 2009, 12:56 PM
Swansea, Massachusetts
Joined Dec 2004
2,088 Posts
This is the thread that got me started three years ago with the tricopter stuff. A few posts in, you'll see my very first tricopter.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ght=lemmiwinks

I got back into the tricopters after seeing Sebastian's copter in the multi rotor forum here...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=959593

I want to thank Lemmiwinks,Joe ling, Sebastian, and all the rest that posted to these forums for there work in making these things fly.

Check out those threads, you'll see the progression of the designs.

Thanks
Bob D
Old Nov 19, 2009, 01:08 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2009
11,700 Posts
Bob D, may I ask you this question please. I downloaded the Y-UFO model for the Real Flight Simulator and what I noticed with the model is, if the craft's pitch to greatly to either side, it will fall out of the sky. In your experience, does this also happen with the physical tricopter?
rimshotcopter is online now Find More Posts by rimshotcopter
Old Nov 19, 2009, 02:19 PM
Brushless
Joined Mar 2009
2,063 Posts
Whohoo I just won an Esky - EK2-0704 Gyro for 11.99 shipped brand new - Gonna try that on the tail to compare with the GWS - I also made my crash resistant wood model a folder - Should have done that from the start - Just wanted to take it with me over the holidays - So much fun and we have Bob to thanks for this thread!!!!
Mike
cdi3d is online now Find More Posts by cdi3d
Last edited by cdi3d; Nov 19, 2009 at 02:25 PM.
Old Nov 19, 2009, 02:28 PM
Swansea, Massachusetts
Joined Dec 2004
2,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by reverendrichie View Post
Bob D, may I ask you this question please. I downloaded the Y-UFO model for the Real Flight Simulator and what I noticed with the model is, if the craft's pitch to greatly to either side, it will fall out of the sky. In your experience, does this also happen with the physical tricopter?
It will slide out of the sky if you don't fly the tail. The tail will not follow the nose like an airplane. You must constantly use rudder ( tail motor yaw) to keep the tail behind the tricopter. This is the same for helicopters. You can add a large fin, that will lighten the workload a bit.

Bob D
Old Nov 19, 2009, 02:30 PM
Swansea, Massachusetts
Joined Dec 2004
2,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdi3d View Post
Whohoo I just won an Esky - EK2-0704 Gyro for 11.99 shipped brand new - Gonna try that on the tail to compare with the GWS - I also made my crash resistant wood model a folder - Should have done that from the start - Just wanted to take it with me over the holidays - So much fun and we have Bob to thanks for this thread!!!!
Mike
Bring props!! Have you mounted a camera yet Mike? Any forward flight? Stop typing and go fly! ( unless you're at work, stuck behind a desk)
Have fun!
Bob D
Old Nov 19, 2009, 02:57 PM
United States, AL, Foley
Joined Nov 2005
536 Posts
I just got my "supplies" from HC today! Those D750 motors are impressive looking!

Just returned from Lowes with my stock of poplar sticks and plywood. Got to get with the assembly now.

Thanks signguy!
CoastalTom is offline Find More Posts by CoastalTom
Old Nov 19, 2009, 03:47 PM
Swansea, Massachusetts
Joined Dec 2004
2,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalTom View Post
I just got my "supplies" from HC today! Those D750 motors are impressive looking!

Just returned from Lowes with my stock of poplar sticks and plywood. Got to get with the assembly now.

Thanks signguy!
Make sure you put some 3 in 1 oil on those dt750 bearings. they won't last long if you don't. My motors now have many hours on them, I oil them every couple hours of flight time.

Bob D
Old Nov 19, 2009, 04:03 PM
Joined Sep 2005
934 Posts
On the Gyros, I alreadfy have one TeleBee on hand and happend to order 2 of Hobby King 401B AVCS Digital Head Lock Gyro's before the Tricopter bug hit. Will they work or do I need more Telebees's? They are still in transit from HK so I can't test them.
http://hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store...ead_Lock_Gyro_
GallopingGhost is offline Find More Posts by GallopingGhost
Old Nov 19, 2009, 04:14 PM
Worn-out the seat of my pants
Dorset UK
Joined Dec 2006
922 Posts
That's amazing if they really are identical to a Futaba 401.

BTW just placed my order with Hobby City and will be building exactly as you have described Bob.
Lomcevac is offline Find More Posts by Lomcevac
Last edited by Lomcevac; Nov 19, 2009 at 04:15 PM. Reason: Order placed!
Old Nov 19, 2009, 04:22 PM
Joined Mar 2007
557 Posts
My HCity package just arrived also, now to find the time to build... It looks like there is going to be a lot of strange looking aircraft flying around soon!

Rob D.
nocontrol1 is online now Find More Posts by nocontrol1