HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 01, 2003, 09:59 AM
Langley,B.C,Canada
Joined Jul 2002
1,214 Posts
What is the "best 1/4 scale" Cub kit ?

I was wondering what the best J3 cub kit is in your opinion.

I`m not apposed to scratching as well. I`m building the Sig Citabria right now and it seems like a fairly good kit (builders). I might go for "clipped wing" conversion if I can build it light enough for larger brushless.

Cheers

Warren
Warren Jones is offline Find More Posts by Warren Jones
to remove ads between posts
Old May 01, 2003, 10:02 AM
Langley,B.C,Canada
Joined Jul 2002
1,214 Posts
What is the "best 1/4 scale" J3 Cub kit?

In your opinion, which one rules. No ARF.

SIG, GP,.......?

Cheers

Warren
Old May 01, 2003, 10:31 AM
Involuntary Beta Tester
Joined Jan 2002
8,288 Posts
Lots of info on Cubs in the Scale Forum. Dereck Woodward is building the Sig kit and is pretty pleased with the wood and fit.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...&highlight=Cub

Oops I just read his is a 1/5 scale.

Kelvin
kelvin is offline Find More Posts by kelvin
Old May 01, 2003, 11:40 AM
Over Engineered
Michigan
Joined Jul 2002
1,991 Posts
Warren
This one is on my list for a some day. Are you looking to do a scale electric version.

I always liked the SIG version. Has been described as a builders kit.
Robert Hoffman is offline Find More Posts by Robert Hoffman
Old May 01, 2003, 12:31 PM
Mr Mootsie
Pepperell, MA, USA
Joined Jan 2001
2,565 Posts
I built the Sig kit for an OS FT160 two cylinder four stroker. It is covered in Stits fabric, has pinked tape and rib stitching.

It is, most definitely, a builders kit. It is an "old school" box of sticks with little to no prefabrication. Be prepared for lots of cutting and sanding. Tons of room in the fuselage for batteries. I built it about as scale as I have ever done, including modifying it with working doors and windows, leather seats, instrument panel, throttle quadrant, rudder pedals and sticks. I've heard it said that you aren't ever done detailing a model, you simply get tired!

cheers,
Tim
Tim Jonas is online now Find More Posts by Tim Jonas
Old May 01, 2003, 01:06 PM
Speed Demon
Antioch,CA,USA
Joined Dec 1999
12,303 Posts
!/4 scale Cubs are an easy convert now-a-days. You'll probably get better responce in the "Scale Modeling" I'll help you out and move this thread there.
GregG is offline Find More Posts by GregG
Old May 01, 2003, 01:39 PM
Langley,B.C,Canada
Joined Jul 2002
1,214 Posts
To Rob

Yes, by all means electric!

My heart is really in a clipped wing Taylorcraft. Since I am unable to aquire the Lanier 1/4 T-craft up here, I may settle for the cub.

I`m not into ordering on-line because the exchange and duty is out to lunch. Twice the price by the time it arrives.

I am open to a slightly smaller scale as well. So I may go clipped wing on the cub for mild aerobatics.

Cheers

To MrMootsie,

Do you have any pics to post of your Cub?

Warren
Old May 01, 2003, 03:50 PM
Hacker motoren rules :)
Sweden, Östergötland County, Norrköping
Joined Sep 2001
763 Posts
Have a look at Balsa USA´s kit..
I thought of building one about a year ago, but the pricetag here in sweden of $800 per kit stoped me (I´m a student )

The kit is much cheeper in USA though...

/Philip
Philip Thulin is offline Find More Posts by Philip Thulin
Old May 02, 2003, 10:16 AM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Hi Warren
I've posted a few piccies of my conversion of Sig's 1/5th scale Cub in a thread hereabouts - you might have to go digging, I've not added to it for a while as we've been barging around the countryside on vacation for nearly three weeks now.

AFAIK, it's one of very few Cub kits with a two piece plug in wing system, rather than a bolt on one-piece wing, and has a 'working' opening cabin door and window. Having worked on it, I'd rather build it like this for access to fitting the e-flight bits than one without the working door/window. It's a fairly narrow fuselage and poking around in there through a top wing mount aperture would be just too much like fun.

The Sig kit is probably the best kit I've ever built. Some laser cut kits are superb these days, but to achieve their level of accuracy in an 84.5" span, complicated scale-like structure is a tremendous achievement.

The other two Sig kits - 1/6th and 1/4 - are not laser cut if I've got my facts right. FWIW - the Sig 1/5th scale Cub is the only glow model I've converted by building the woodwork like it came out the box and just adding my e-drivetrain to the model.

If you can live with a Super Cub, you might care to take a look at Adrian Page's kit at http://www.adrianpage.com/ - "Page Aviation". It's laser cut, and made in Canada! Model builds very light, is the magic 80" "IMAA Legal" span and should convert as easily as any other high winger.

I toyed with the idea of making my Sig into a clip-wing, but went with the long wing eventually - the Sig kit contains all parts for both (and would be a real "opportunity" to build without the laser cut parts ...) However, a lot of clipwings have Super Cub style full pressure cowls and Adrian did tell me he'd built one of his prototypes as a clipwing.

If you want some CWC ideas, check out http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/jdann/ - I might still just get another Sig kit down the road and build one like that 200HP white one.

Alternate idea for your T-craft is tracking down a kit plan, adjusting the size on a big engineering copier and add your own electric specific structure.

hope that helps

Dereck
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old May 02, 2003, 06:45 PM
D.G.B.
Southington, Connecticut, United States
Joined Jun 2000
2,951 Posts
Warren you can also check with Bob Benjeman.He was offering plans and cowel,wheel pants for his 108" Taylor Craft plane he flew 2yrs ago at TopGun show in florida.Nice thing it is already designed as a "E" powered plane.Good hunting,stefanP
KOMET 44 is offline Find More Posts by KOMET 44
Old May 03, 2003, 08:37 AM
Langley,B.C,Canada
Joined Jul 2002
1,214 Posts
Sounds Good!

Thanks for the info gents.

I`m building the Sig Citabria right now, so If the mentioned J3 kits are like this then I think well of them.

As far as the T-craft goes I have been redrawing one from an autocad template for a smaller one for E-flight.

"So many inspirations and so little time"

Cheers

Warren
Old May 04, 2003, 08:56 AM
Winnipeg, MB Canada
Joined Jan 2000
2,419 Posts
My Sig 1/4 J-3 flew with a few power systems. OS 61FS, 90 ST, Astro 40 with superbox, even Ryobi 31cc gas.

For pure scale and esthetics, the little four stroke was the best. The E-power was an early venture into larger systems and worked extremely well. Weighing 13 lbs the AF 40 and 24 cells swung the scale 18x10 with authority and looked and sounded good. Tex.
Sabrejock is offline Find More Posts by Sabrejock
Old May 04, 2003, 09:38 AM
Langley,B.C,Canada
Joined Jul 2002
1,214 Posts
To Sabrejock

The Sig 1/4 scale sounds like a contender.

I am rather inspired to convert it to a clipped wing.
Do you think that it would be a worthy conversion? I would scratch a new cowl for it.

Cheers

Warren
Old May 04, 2003, 11:26 AM
Winnipeg, MB Canada
Joined Jan 2000
2,419 Posts
The clip wing Cub was an entry level aerobatic aircraft. To make it work would require far more power than I had. I should think that to be realistic it should perform with about 80W/lb. That's considering you do not want it to perform like an Extra! (which it certainly did not)

I think I was operating with about 60W/lb and while it would loop (sorta) rolls were a bit sluggish. Clipping the wing would help, but IMHO, if you're looking for Cub type flight, leave it as a full wing. If you're looking for some aerobatics, look at the Citabria/Decathlon. Tex

BTW, I flew my DinaFlite Super Decathlon on E-power. AF60 with 2:1 and 36 cells. It did alright, but turnaround time was too much for me as a sport plane. T.
Sabrejock is offline Find More Posts by Sabrejock
Old May 04, 2003, 07:20 PM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Hi Warren
Tex has something there - turnaround time is long with a big pack that is 'buried' in the model. Even if you fly so it stays cool, put a blower on it post flight and start to charge immediately, you'll still be looking at nearly an hour turnround on a 30+ cell battery. My 1/5th Cub is starting with 20 cells - two handy 10 x 2000 mA nimh packs I already own - though it probably only needs around 16.

Big "However" - I have other models with multiple & fast swappable packs to fly inbetween, plus I don't see the Cub as a model to fly all that much.

So, flying the Cub, putting a cooling fan in the cockpit for a while to cool off the nimh and a slow recharge is no real issue to me.

Am already beginning to wish that I'd built my 1/5th like one of those 200HP clipwing monsters! I have a hard time going around in lazy circles for overly long

D
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck