SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 14, 2009, 03:48 PM
Joined Nov 2003
118 Posts
Discussion
Raptor 30 V1 with OS 50?? Need some help

Hi all need some advise please

I have a raptor 30 V1 took it up today and thought the engine sounded a little lean, brought it in to adjust and just before touch-down, the darn thing seized luckily I was an inch above ground so no damage.
A friend at the field was kind enough to give me an OS 50 engine but it of course does not fit in the V1.

So my question is:
What do I need to get the OS 50 in my Raptor 30 V1?
I was told that I need to upgrade the frame to the V2, I can get one for $30 but not sure what else I need.

Also will it have too much power for the 30 size heli? I do have carbon blades on it and an upgraded head.

Would it be cheaper to just buy a OS 37 and if so, anyone know of a good place?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
kouger is offline Find More Posts by kouger
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 14, 2009, 07:27 PM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,927 Posts
You will need to change the fan, gears (pinion and main), and motor mount also. I’m not sure about the clutch, start shaft, and bearings. Then you will need a 50 size muffler (bolt pattern is different). The 50 also has a larger fuel tank (v1). The V2 has a different tank design.

It might be more practical to get an OS37.

Thunder Tiger has made a lot of improvements with the new Titan SE. If I were you I would save up for a Titan SE and sell your V1 30. That way you can use your free OS50 and have a much better helicopter.

RC Man is offline Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Nov 14, 2009, 09:14 PM
Joined Nov 2003
118 Posts
Thanks for the help.
I have the engine mount for the 50 and the muffler.
I can get a OS 37 for $120 - not sure what the cost would be to install the 50. Seems like a lot more is involved to get the 50 engine in the heli.
You might be right, get a 37 and be done with it. I have a Raptor 50 as well but really do like flying my 30 so was hoping to be able to keep it a 30 and just use the 50 engine in it. Guess I will have to give back the 50 engine and buy a 37.
Old Nov 15, 2009, 12:38 AM
Denver, CO
Joined Dec 2005
6,377 Posts
Here is the Thunder Tiger manual for the upgrade. A few interesting things: You can keep most of your 30 parts. Just need to change the motor mounts, fan, engine, and muffler. With the V1 you probably should go to the newer clutch, and clutch bell. The boom, belt, gears, tail drive for autorotations, and blades can be thought of as optional changes.
http://mmi.tudelft.nl/~wouter/helipa...p50upgrade.pdf
Roto Rob is online now Find More Posts by Roto Rob
Old Nov 21, 2009, 12:13 PM
Joined Nov 2003
118 Posts
Thanks all for you help - I decided to go with the OS 37, got a good deal from the local hobby store.
But, have another question -
Installed the engine and took it up today. I am running 30% fuel with 20% oil, the manual says normal running is 1,5 clicks out on the air mixture. I turned it two clicks out and hovered for 3 tanks. Took the temp and it was 120-125. Then I started turning the needle in, turned 4 clicks then another 4 etc. Basically had turned the needle so now it is only 1,25 turns out and the the temp is only 135-140 on the head - the back of the engine is about 100 deg.

I honestly don't feel much of a power difference from the 32 I had.
Do I still need to break it in more or just turn the needle in more?

Any advise is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old Nov 23, 2009, 06:51 PM
airplanes r made from aluminum
United States, SC, Darlington
Joined Jul 2009
653 Posts
not cost effective to convert anymore.

i talked heli proz today and they advised me to replace my v1 with a titan...you cant get the starter shaft for a v1 anymore. a replacement would mean new main frame, new tank, new clutch, shaft, bearings, and it still has the old style head with screws in the grips and 4mm spindle. i guess i have some spare parts now as i have two of these v1's
wilem is offline Find More Posts by wilem
Last edited by wilem; Nov 23, 2009 at 06:56 PM.
Old Nov 27, 2009, 09:23 PM
Ireland
Joined Apr 2001
4,031 Posts
nonsence
ifyou look at the conversion kit they specify a new mount and flywheel as the only items you need to replace. gearing / blades tailboom are depending on your intentions with flying.
the stores just want to sell you a new kit since that gives them more profit.

Anyway if you desperate to change send me a pm with the asking price for your current mechanics since i can use some cheap spares
cmulder is offline Find More Posts by cmulder
Old Nov 27, 2009, 09:38 PM
Ireland
Joined Apr 2001
4,031 Posts
check with your manual and contact to see what the stock is these guys still have
http://www.helikraft.com/OEM+%25252F...sort=2a&page=3
cmulder is offline Find More Posts by cmulder
Old Nov 27, 2009, 11:44 PM
Joined Jul 2009
653 Posts
you may very well be correct. but the parts are obviously different, the bearings, clutch bell, starter shaft and mainframes, fuel tank spindle, auto gear, head block, and so on.i am going to use the other v1 for spares to my other v1.. so now i am at 1 v2, 1 v1 with a spare and one titan titanium. i wanted all 600 blades all the same tail booms, belts and so on for parts interchangability..i am no better off that i was when i started.... 3 different birds still. not to mention 2 excell 60's that need assembling.....could be worse right????? i could not have any heli's.....wahhhh wahhhhh

awesome site. thanks for the link looks like they have 11 of the part i supposedly couldnt get anywhere else... thanks again
Old Nov 28, 2009, 08:58 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,927 Posts
The V1 was not that good with 600 blades, that’s why they came out with the V2.

The 50 size Raptor has had 4 major configurations.
1. V1
2. V2
3. Titan
4. Titan SE

If you upgrade you should go for the Titan SE so that you have all the latest improvements and it won’t be obsolete as soon.

RC Man is offline Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Nov 28, 2009, 06:26 PM
Joined Jul 2009
653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man View Post

If you upgrade you should go for the Titan SE so that you have all the latest improvements and it won’t be obsolete as soon.

i second this.. i doubt i get anymore used stuff. but buying used/wrecked is a good way to get cheap gear. motors gyros governors etc.

rc man....you cant have too many heli's, cant be done LOL