HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
This thread is privately moderated by AirX, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 14, 2010, 08:47 PM
Supersonic hover
Michigan, United States
Joined Sep 2003
1,043 Posts
Sorry to hear that Eric, hope you're back at it ASAP. In the meantime, take care of your helath and the rest will follow. Best wishes,

-Matt
Esprit440 is offline Find More Posts by Esprit440
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 14, 2010, 09:00 PM
EDF rules... :)
Joined Nov 1999
13,535 Posts
Thanks Matt, I will bounce back. The An72 will have to wait till there is more money to play with.

Cheers,
Eric B.
AirX is offline Find More Posts by AirX
Old Feb 20, 2010, 07:58 AM
Big gov never Works
Skunk Water, Rhode Island
Joined Jul 2002
12,301 Posts
I hope it's nothing too serious, Eric. My hopes and prayers are with you.

Fuzz
St. Martin is offline Find More Posts by St. Martin
Old Mar 17, 2010, 05:15 PM
Joined Nov 1999
13,535 Posts
I will be getting back to it in the coming weeks. I have worked out the cuts for the fuselage and have reaquired my scroll saw to cut the plywood for the interior load bearing crutch. Things are about to get back on track.

Cheers,
Eric B.
Last edited by AirX; Apr 16, 2010 at 10:03 PM.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 07:01 PM
Joined Nov 1999
13,535 Posts
Still working on this one. I have enough information on the air frame and fan system to start the build. This will be fun. I have actually completed the landing gear modeling and almost complete with the install in the assembly. I must thank Hans Buhr for some photos he sent me recently after I placed a request on a European website. The landing gear on the An72 is similar to the other Russian heavies like Hans 225 and the 124. Getting these pictures helped clarify a simple solution. Again thanks Hans.

Cheers,
Eric B.

Ps: I will make a new entry in a little while I still need to model the change in landing gear wire.
Old Mar 06, 2011, 07:12 PM
Joined Nov 1999
13,535 Posts
There needed to be some changes to the bottom of the fuselage to cover the wheels when retracted. The picture shows a lot more changes in the forward wood section.

Eric B.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 10:03 PM
Supersonic hover
Michigan, United States
Joined Sep 2003
1,043 Posts
Hi Eric, looking good - is that a T-tailed Telemaster hiding in there?

Nice to see you back at it.

-Matt
Esprit440 is offline Find More Posts by Esprit440
Old Mar 17, 2011, 09:11 PM
Joined Nov 1999
13,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esprit440 View Post
Hi Eric, looking good - is that a T-tailed Telemaster hiding in there?

Nice to see you back at it.

-Matt
Hi Matt,

Slowly getting things in line for construction. One ARF on the table just about finished, just needs inlet ducting and a couple of servo extensions. Then I can start cutting wood on the support structure.

Eric B.
Old Mar 27, 2011, 01:04 PM
Registered Idiot
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2010
6,824 Posts
updates ???????????????????????????????
Keenan smith is offline Find More Posts by Keenan smith
Old Mar 27, 2011, 03:27 PM
Joined Nov 1999
13,535 Posts
Just maidened the F86 that was on the build table. I need to clean the shop then cut the parts...
I expect that after next saturday when I get back from a flyin in Lousianna I will get some plywood and start cutting parts.

Eric B.
Old Mar 29, 2011, 09:21 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
nice project Eric. so now I guess the race is on to see who finishes what, first!? LOL.

did you ever get the problem of efflux sticking to the wing surface sorted out? just wondered how advanced you were/are in this department. as Dan said some time ago, it causes all kinds of problems with the Horten wings and wondered if you'de thought about a solution. subscribed.

Rich
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
Old Mar 30, 2011, 06:57 AM
Joined Nov 1999
13,535 Posts
Hi Rich,

Nah just funnin ya. One thing you guys kind of taught me is to be a little more laid back.
Ya ran a little CFD on naccelles and wing relationship to see what the forces would be and move the outlet to a position that would minimize problems. Thanks to the one of the engineers at work of course. I moved the outlet off the wing a little and because of the thickness of material it moved about 1/2 inch off the wing surface and it centered up on the thrust line thru the fan. It did not remove the rotation arround the CG but it did help in minimizing the Coanda effect that acts on the wing surface.
I will post a picture tonight for illustration.

Eric B.
Last edited by AirX; Mar 31, 2011 at 12:13 PM. Reason: Finished 1st sentence
Old Mar 31, 2011, 12:40 AM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
sounds good. glad you got a hold of that problem. another idea that was rattling around inside my head, was to run ducts from under the wing to vents slightly behind the exhaust nozzle. my thought is that it would create a high pressure "blanket" of air between the wing surface and the efflux column. the theory in my head, is that this creates a cushion between the two, thereby negating the negative effects created by the efflux column. of course, this is all theory and I really have no clue. sounds good though, huh!?
Old Mar 31, 2011, 12:15 PM
Joined Nov 1999
13,535 Posts
Intriguing idea. I will look into that. The boundary layer is affected with the nozzle set to the real aircraft design, funneling some high pressure air to the area just behind the naccelle might do something.

Eric b.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 08:53 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
it sounds plausible to me. I mean, we know this is how blown control surfaces work, so I'm almost certain that overslung pods take advantage of this blown effect to give better lifting capabilities at all flight regimes. I think the problem lies in how the thrust is made between turbofan and EDF. I mean, basically an EDF and a turbofan are the exact same thing, just powered by a different core, so it makes sense that they make power the same way, just different efflux velocity and quality. efflux V & Q are much less desirable from an EDF.............it is slower and much more turbulent and I'm sure this doesn't help our cause here. LOL. it kinda makes sense to me, that a high pressure stream of air, ducted from under the wing just might help out. wish I had the time to help out here with some sort of test model. might be worth looking into at least.
Closed Thread