HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 14, 2009, 11:27 AM
USA, NY, Mahopac
Joined Dec 2002
280 Posts
Discussion
fiber optic lighting ?

I am thinking of using fiber optic lighting on a new build, has anyone used these, I have been using grain bulbs but when you have many lights say on a mast is hard to hide the wires. What size wire to use, if the end is colored say a clear red will it show or should I use colored wires?
vett is offline Find More Posts by vett
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 14, 2009, 04:15 PM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,379 Posts
You'll only get light straight out the end of the fiber... is that what you need on a mast? I understand they're great for, say, portholes on an ocean liner...
patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350
Old Nov 14, 2009, 04:29 PM
Cheif Bottlewasher
Canada, NS, Sydney Mines
Joined Sep 2005
3,181 Posts
Yes as Pat said ..

I offered a question a while back ..that if the filiment was stuck into a goob of hot glue..allowed to cool would it illiminate the goob of hardened glue ..Got some great feed back ..but nothing as clear as mud ..

Saying that ..Im thinking if that worked ..you could use some silicone to make a mould ..and just put the filiment in and squeeze in some hot glue behind it ..

All sounds good on paper
more coffee is offline Find More Posts by more coffee
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Hi!
Old Nov 14, 2009, 04:34 PM
USA, NY, Mahopac
Joined Dec 2002
280 Posts
Pat didn't think of that but wouldn't it reflect inside the clear lamp housing?
Old Nov 14, 2009, 04:46 PM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,379 Posts
Not much, likely... hard to beat an incandescent, just as hard to run those wires!
Using bell wire might help, as well as using a brass mast for a common ground. Did something like that here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...4&d=1242784950
Old Nov 14, 2009, 05:01 PM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,682 Posts
I tried fiber optics and it's great for very small lights like maybe wall lights over the deck. You can melt the ends of the FO strands and get a little bigger light but mostly the strands are so small they don't put out much light at all. LED's and grain of wheat bulbs are probably the best things to use with LED's being the best in my opinion. Pete
norgale is offline Find More Posts by norgale
Old Nov 14, 2009, 05:15 PM
"Green as grass"
Joined Aug 2009
62 Posts
I use F.O. quite often on sci fi models. The colour is dictated by the light source. Quince.
Freak Quincy is offline Find More Posts by Freak Quincy
Old Nov 14, 2009, 06:39 PM
USA, NY, Mahopac
Joined Dec 2002
280 Posts
Ok thanks guys, I guess I will look into LED's
Old Nov 14, 2009, 06:48 PM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,379 Posts
Have fun, but GOR incandescents are still smaller and more omnidirectional...
Old Nov 14, 2009, 06:53 PM
Kamloops BC Can.
Joined Jan 2008
610 Posts
And more power consuming.
Olscuzbut is offline Find More Posts by Olscuzbut
Old Nov 14, 2009, 07:18 PM
Cheif Bottlewasher
Canada, NS, Sydney Mines
Joined Sep 2005
3,181 Posts
Pat is right ...and Olscuzbut your right ...

The happy medium for me at least is that the Led can easily be run in series without to big a worry of excess wiring..They are cheap ,readily available and with the right resistor ...run for 10,000 hrs +/-..

Ive always had this fear of a busting filament in a GOW bulb, especially in an area hard to service ..which is everywhere on a model ship ...not so much to worry with the Led ..
more coffee is offline Find More Posts by more coffee
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Hi!
Old Nov 15, 2009, 04:25 PM
Joined Feb 2009
822 Posts
Dollhouse wire is multi strand 2 conductor and made for small bulbs. Turn the mast then place it on your tablesaw and adjust the blade heigth to the radius of the mast and rip a groove the length of the mast. Place the wiring in the grove and fill over the top of it. You can pigtail out at the required levels for each lamp. I use testors plastic model filler to seal the mast groove.
Nederlander is offline Find More Posts by Nederlander
Old Nov 16, 2009, 05:33 AM
Blackpool, Lancs
Joined Feb 2006
2,890 Posts
The disadvantage of fibre optic is that it doesn't like corners. The light only goes round gentle curves.
mfr02 is offline Find More Posts by mfr02
Old Nov 16, 2009, 10:55 AM
Kamloops BC Can.
Joined Jan 2008
610 Posts
Wiring for leds, lighting, and other low powered add-ons. If you have ever dismantled an old computer, you will find quite a few ribbon cables inside connecting the different components. Cut the connectors off and tear off as many conductors as you need. Keeps your wiring neat and can be glued to the inside of the hull or upper structure.
Olscuzbut is offline Find More Posts by Olscuzbut
Old Nov 16, 2009, 11:52 AM
GILL
United States, NJ, Hopatcong
Joined Aug 2005
2,567 Posts
There are a lot of good suggestions here. I have used fiber optics on models, my modified Robbe Neptune uses them for the deck light and the spot lights. 2 bulbs 1 clear (6 spot lights) and 1 amber (10 deck lights). Now I have gone over almost completely to LEDs. There are 44 LEDs in my Calypso, If I had used Lamps it would kill the 4 ah battery in less then 1 hour. That's just lights, with motors and radio I would have about 15 minutes run time. As it stands I get over 2.5 hours!
GILL RC is offline Find More Posts by GILL RC