HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 01, 2003, 07:54 AM
Proudly 2.4GHz free!
Alexandria, VA, USA
Joined Feb 2003
610 Posts
PCW component weights?

All--

I am going to grab a Pocket Combat Wing for flying when the wind grounds my parkflyers (i.e. almost every day ). I've got some of the allerc 9g servos and a GWS R4P rx. Will those work OK in the PCW? It's calls for 6g servos (Pico std.), but will an extra 6g really make a difference?

I've got some surplus lithiums from my piccolo that will handle 2A all day, so I'll probably use those for bats, and may pick up a GWS 5A + brake speed controller (5g.). I've got some colored packing tape left over from my T-52 that I'll cover it with.

Will that work OK?

thanks,
dave.
dstrout is offline Find More Posts by dstrout
to remove ads between posts
Old May 01, 2003, 08:26 AM
The Magician.
Lucas, Kansas
Joined Nov 2002
1,849 Posts
On a wing as small as this one is (smaller than most any other wing) every gram counts. It can be made to fly on the gear listed but the performance may be a little off. The key to getting best performance is to make sure that the wing stays clean (nothing sticking out but the pushrods) and keeping the weight down.

Pico standard servos are 4.8 grams and the Pico Plus is 5.2 grams
both are acceptable.

If you can build the PCW in under 6 ounces with the gear you listed, it should be fine.

I would aim for the 2 amp controler also.

Thanks,

Justin Ammon

EdgeRC
airplanes@cox.net
480-593-2458
birdofprey is offline Find More Posts by birdofprey
Old May 01, 2003, 08:43 AM
Proudly 2.4GHz free!
Alexandria, VA, USA
Joined Feb 2003
610 Posts
Cool, thanks.

Any idea of the empty airframe weight? i.e. what do I have left to work with for components and covering?

I could always cover it with oracover, which I bet is lighter than tape. I'll check my battery weights, too -- I think they're pretty light, since the piccolo will lift 3 of them.

thanks,
dave.
Old May 01, 2003, 08:53 AM
The Magician.
Lucas, Kansas
Joined Nov 2002
1,849 Posts
About 1-1/2 to 2 oz empty depending on the type and ammount of glue used on the carbon spar.

Justin
birdofprey is offline Find More Posts by birdofprey
Old May 06, 2003, 10:02 AM
Proudly 2.4GHz free!
Alexandria, VA, USA
Joined Feb 2003
610 Posts
Justin,

I got my PCW yesterday. I got the rib, spar, and wings glued in, then stuck it on the scale with everything else piled on (motor, esc, rx, servos, bats, and remaining pcw parts). I'm at 4.25 oz.

That leavs me 21 g. for covering. I only added 50 g. covering my Pibros, which has much more surface area, so I think I'm going to make it at or just under 5 oz. with the micro-9 servos.

thanks -- nice kit, by the way.

dave.