HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 17, 2012, 10:01 AM
Santi
United States, MO, Clayton
Joined Nov 2003
1,605 Posts
Was just bench testing with my airboss and throttled all the way up, then all the way back down. Nothing weird, but then she just re-armed... Now every time i push up on the throttle, it's very delayed, them sometimes it just shoots up to high rpm... very strange... Anybody have any idea what i'm describing here?
DaaBears is online now Find More Posts by DaaBears
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 17, 2012, 10:12 AM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
17,277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCDme3D View Post
Was just bench testing with my airboss and throttled all the way up, then all the way back down. Nothing weird, but then she just re-armed... Now every time i push up on the throttle, it's very delayed, them sometimes it just shoots up to high rpm... very strange... Anybody have any idea what i'm describing here?
Is it hesitating or is it going through all the beeping and all?

First thing I do whenever I have a question about an Airboss ESC is that I reprogram the ESC to default, It is at the very end of the programming beep sequence. Just let it run all the way through and then stop it at default. That usually fixes any problem I've ever had.

OK, and now I am gonna be cute....If it's just hesitating, try this..........................

Doc Austin is offline Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Old Apr 17, 2012, 11:02 AM
Team Hillbilly (UK)
United Kingdom, England, Cambs
Joined Oct 2011
1,396 Posts
Hey Doc....

Notice SFG's on your stab....not seen that - does it work or more to the point what has it helped with - worth doing??
Space Bat is offline Find More Posts by Space Bat
Old Apr 17, 2012, 11:12 AM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
17,277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Bat View Post
Hey Doc....

Notice SFG's on your stab....not seen that - does it work or more to the point what has it helped with - worth doing??
I'm not so sure either way. I believe it gave me a little more yaw stability, but the plane is certainly fine without them.

I originally made those up years ago for a plane that really needed some help, and it completely transformed it...... they helped that plane even more than the SFGs I put on the wing! That was one messed up looking airplane, but in the end I got it to fly reasonably ok.

On the MXS, though, I think it is already so stable that it's like putting SFGs on an Edge EXP and expecting the harrier to improve. It's already so good that you can't really help it much.

You can try it for yourself. SFGs are easy enough to make and they don't have to be sceintific. Just make sure they are the same on top and bottom, and the same on one side as the other. Cut out something that looks good and slap it on.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 11:22 AM
Team Hillbilly (UK)
United Kingdom, England, Cambs
Joined Oct 2011
1,396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Austin View Post
I'm not so sure either way. I believe it gave me a little more yaw stability, but the plane is certainly fine without them.

I originally made those up years ago for a plane that really needed some help, and it completely transformed it...... they helped that plane even more than the SFGs I put on the wing! That was one messed up looking airplane, but in the end I got it to fly reasonably ok.

On the MXS, though, I think it is already so stable that it's like putting SFGs on an Edge EXP and expecting the harrier to improve. It's already so good that you can't really help it much.

You can try it for yourself. SFGs are easy enough to make and they don't have to be sceintific. Just make sure they are the same on top and bottom, and the same on one side as the other. Cut out something that looks good and slap it on.
Cheers....possibly not worth doing on the edge as you say - but one to put in the mental locker for future builds....made some SFG's for my sons MX2 and it has helped hi plane no end and improved its hover and harrier...
Space Bat is offline Find More Posts by Space Bat
Old Apr 17, 2012, 11:24 AM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
17,277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Bat View Post
Cheers....possibly not worth doing on the edge as you say - but one to put in the mental locker for future builds....made some SFG's for my sons MX2 and it has helped hi plane no end and improved its hover and harrier...
The ones on the tail were originally meant to appeal to my sense of symmetry, but then I grew to like they way they look......... and they always generate interest from anyone who sees them.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 01:07 AM
Just flitting about!!
Joined Aug 2011
2,637 Posts
Second to last flight on recently dead Edge.

Pre death edge (5 min 38 sec)

Can't wait for the new one.
bigroger is offline Find More Posts by bigroger
Old Apr 18, 2012, 01:23 AM
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Oct 2011
4,726 Posts
Nice flying. Are you replacing the edge?
bryansifsof44 is online now Find More Posts by bryansifsof44
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Weights for planes
Old Apr 18, 2012, 01:38 AM
Just flitting about!!
Joined Aug 2011
2,637 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansifsof44 View Post
Nice flying. Are you replacing the edge?
New one arrives tomorrow with the blue MXS as well.

I'm going to keep the edge on 3s and run the MXS on 4s probably with the DM2820-750.

What size lipo do you run in yours Bryan? I was thinking of 40C4s2200 and keep the flights around 6 minutes.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 01:51 AM
Suspended Account
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Nov 2010
3,139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigroger View Post
New one arrives tomorrow with the blue MXS as well.

I'm going to keep the edge on 3s and run the MXS on 4s probably with the DM2820-750.

What size lipo do you run in yours Bryan? I was thinking of 40C4s2200 and keep the flights around 6 minutes.
Roger, may I suggest the sunnysky 2820-800 if you have access to that brand? I'm flying one in my Edge with a 14x7 and love it. I'm using the new Zippy Compact 4s 2700mah 25c batteries, and everything is working well. The battery balances neutral about 1cm forward of the wing tube.

-Gary
-= GYRO =- is offline Find More Posts by -= GYRO =-
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Apr 18, 2012, 02:00 AM
Just flitting about!!
Joined Aug 2011
2,637 Posts
Sweet Gary.

In the box I currently have unused the Dm2820-950 a DM2815-950 a torque 28xx-820 (came with edge #1) and the Dm2820-750 is in the HK slick currently.

I have looked at the sunnysky (I have a few of the 2204-1800) in small foamies and they seem pretty good performance to weight.

I'll have a look at the 2820-800, how many amps does she pull on 4s Gary with 14x7.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 02:05 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Nov 2010
3,139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigroger View Post
Sweet Gary.

In the box I currently have unused the Dm2820-950 a DM2815-950 a torque 28xx-820 (came with edge #1) and the Dm2820-750 is in the HK slick currently.

I have looked at the sunnysky (I have a few of the 2204-1800) in small foamies and they seem pretty good performance to weight.

I'll have a look at the 2820-800, how many amps does she pull on 4s Gary with 14x7.
I measured 49a the other day, but that wasn't with the zippy compact... but let me tell you she felt really strong and powerful! really happy
Last edited by -= GYRO =-; Apr 18, 2012 at 02:10 AM.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 02:30 AM
Just flitting about!!
Joined Aug 2011
2,637 Posts
I wonder what kV that actually is running at?
49 amps on 14x7 and the Dm2820-750 pulls 57-60A depending on vox or apc 14x7 prop.

Still I think anything around 700+ watts is more then enough for the 48" EXP planes.

How do the Zippy compacts compare to the Turnigy blues or the std Zippy's?
Old Apr 18, 2012, 02:32 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Nov 2010
3,139 Posts
I was running the turnigy nanotechs 25c previously, and I like these a little better. They weigh 20g less than the equivalent nano pack, and have 50mah more storage. Also, they had a nice strong output throughout the flight.

Honestly, there wasn't a big difference between this setup and the 2820-950 with a 13x6 on my MXS. Both motors are all around awesome.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 03:09 AM
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Oct 2011
4,726 Posts
Roger, I am running gens ace 2500 and sky lipo 2650's. I own/owned turnigy blues and nanos. The nanos are crap, IMO, power loss immediately and at 45 flights power really went down hill. The turnigy blues get weak too but not as bad as the Nano. I have a Sky 2650 30C (292g with deans) with about 100 flights on it with no noticeable power loss. I have one other Sky and Gens 2500 25C (291g with deans) both with around 50 flights also with no power loss. The Gens and Skys to me just had more go right from brand new. I set timer for 6 min and put back between 70-75%... definitely could go to 6.5 min but they have been working great for me with 6 min flights. Oh.... and all my batteries have been charged at 1C, and I fly enough were I don't mess with storage voltage unless I know I will not be using pack for a little while. I run a peak of 59 amps on a 2820-750 (measured 752kv with Castle logger)
bryansifsof44 is online now Find More Posts by bryansifsof44
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Weights for planes