HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 12, 2009, 05:53 PM
Alpharetta, GA
Joined Jun 2003
209 Posts
Discussion
Dremel 4 in Bench Saw

If anyone has any experience with one of these saws and can recommend it I would sure like to hear from you. They don't make them anymore as you probably know. They seem to show up on ebay auctions and go for a lot of money.

Any comments about what you use the saw for, how well it performs,etc. would be most welcome. There are a lot of alternatives to using such a saw and I would like to know if it provides improvement consistent with its cost($100-200 and up).

Thanks, Frank
F.Littleton is offline Find More Posts by F.Littleton
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 12, 2009, 07:09 PM
Killingworth CT
Joined Nov 2008
2,535 Posts
It is a good saw, for the money. A better one is the Poxxon http://www.proxxon.com/us/

However, much more money. I have a demel table saw if you want one , 150+ shipping. Excellent condition, I bought the Proxxon, thats why I'm selling it, I know on Fleabay they go for 180 - 200
len
Lbuff1 is offline Find More Posts by Lbuff1
Old Nov 12, 2009, 08:50 PM
High Exalted Poohbah
Atlanta, GA USA
Joined Sep 2001
1,863 Posts
Hello Frank,

I have found the key to these small saws is (1) a good fence and (2) a good carbide blade. At one time Harbor Freight has some terrific 4 in. dia. 48 tooth carbide blades for under $4.00 each. I bought three. It has a 1/16" kerf and cuts hardwood like butter. I can't vouch for the Dremel, but whatever you decide upon, make sure it has a good fence and a carbide blade with a lot of teeth.

The photo below shows my Jarmac 4" table saw with some attachments I made for it to keep my fingers away from the blade and control the work. Its a lot easier to slice a finger on these little saws as the work is small and your fingers are so close to the blade.

Rufus Carswell
Planeman
planeman is offline Find More Posts by planeman
Old Nov 13, 2009, 01:38 AM
Mmmm...balsa dust!
Casa Grande, AZ
Joined Jan 2005
176 Posts
I had the Dremel table saw for about 30 years, most of that time sitting under my workbench because I never felt it cut thin would accurately or consistently without a lot of tweaking and fixtures. You can fiddle with the saw, as others have mentioned, by adding a better fence, extending the table, a carbide blade or whatever but it's simpler to just buy a good saw to start with. The Proxxon looks very nice if one has the $ and can justify it with enough usage.

When I saw what the Dremel units were bringing e-Bay I happily sold mine earlier this year.

Doug
vintagemxr is offline Find More Posts by vintagemxr
Last edited by vintagemxr; Nov 13, 2009 at 11:28 PM.
Old Nov 13, 2009, 07:49 AM
houston tx
Joined Aug 2007
420 Posts
A good fence and a good blade can greatly improve ANY saw..or any other cutting tool. Rich
richg99 is offline Find More Posts by richg99
Old Nov 13, 2009, 10:08 AM
Huntington Beach
Joined Aug 2000
728 Posts
Frank, try craigslist. I got my Dremel scroll saw, near new, for $45.00.
Buran is offline Find More Posts by Buran
Old Nov 13, 2009, 10:26 AM
Prop Buster Extraordinaire
Seattle
Joined Aug 2009
1,201 Posts
I've always wondered if a small saw like that would be worth the money. I'm pretty happy with my full size scroll saw for most cutting I do. I suppose ripping is the one place where it could use some improvement. But even with that, I get reasonable results by using various jigs.
philba is offline Find More Posts by philba
Old Nov 13, 2009, 09:35 PM
Alpharetta, GA
Joined Jun 2003
209 Posts
Thanks for all the replys. I appreciate each of them.

Frank
F.Littleton is offline Find More Posts by F.Littleton
Old Nov 15, 2009, 11:13 AM
Joined Jan 2007
4,487 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by planeman View Post
Hello Frank,

I have found the key to these small saws is (1) a good fence and (2) a good carbide blade. At one time Harbor Freight has some terrific 4 in. dia. 48 tooth carbide blades for under $4.00 each. I bought three. It has a 1/16" kerf and cuts hardwood like butter. I can't vouch for the Dremel, but whatever you decide upon, make sure it has a good fence and a carbide blade with a lot of teeth.

The photo below shows my Jarmac 4" table saw with some attachments I made for it to keep my fingers away from the blade and control the work. Its a lot easier to slice a finger on these little saws as the work is small and your fingers are so close to the blade.

Rufus Carswell
Planeman

I'd like to see more info and pictures of the accessories you built please. They look very nice.

- Jeff
Canadian Geek is online now Find More Posts by Canadian Geek
Old Nov 15, 2009, 02:47 PM
AMA 910957
United States, WA, Hoodsport
Joined Mar 2008
5,262 Posts
Planeman,

Quote:
Originally Posted by planeman View Post
Like zirt57, I'd like to see you go into detail about the attachments that you've made for your Jarmac table saw.

I've never considered a miniature bench-top table saw because it seems that the smaller you go, the cheaper it's made. At the same time, I don't like using my 10" shop saw for modeling.

The heart of a table saw is it's arbor, and accuracy depends on a sold fence. I'd have to see the Jarmac or Proxxon (same saw sold by Micro-Mark under their Microlux brand) up close and personal to determine their quality, but your attachments look great.

EJWash
EJWash1 is offline Find More Posts by EJWash1
Old Nov 16, 2009, 11:37 AM
High Exalted Poohbah
Atlanta, GA USA
Joined Sep 2001
1,863 Posts
This is the only photo I have of the saw and accessories. There were no plans. I just made them out of my head. As you can see from the photo numbers, I have described these before. Basically they are the same additions to a standard size table saw but made smaller. All of these help guide the work and allow you to keep your fingers away from the saw blade. Most of the things cut on a small saw like this are strips of various sizes so the accessories are oriented toward this activity. (1) is a device to push the work against the saw fence so fingers don't have to do it. (2) is a splitter for cutting strips that fits directly behind the saw blade. It keeps small strips from kicking back when cut. (3) is a micro-adjustment device added to the fence using two opposing long wedges that work back and forth. Makes setting that exact dimension of cut easy. (4) is a “sled” that works exactly the same as the sleds used on larger table saws. It rides in the groove in the table made for the miter gage. You can place a piece of wood in it and clamp in down (using that little cross bar thing) so small parts can be safely cut. There are also some adjustable stops to allow for quick repeat cuts. (5) is a taper gage to allow for long tapers to be cut. I used this to cut the wedges for the micro-adjustment attachment. Just look in some of the wood woodworking books and magazines at the add-ons for large table saws and reduce them down to fit your small saw.

Rufus
planeman is offline Find More Posts by planeman
Old Nov 17, 2009, 12:08 AM
AMA 910957
United States, WA, Hoodsport
Joined Mar 2008
5,262 Posts
Planeman,

I've made a sled and fingerboard attachments for my 10" shop table saw.

Looks like your fence is the real upgrade to this mini saw.

Thanks for sharing.

EJWash
EJWash1 is offline Find More Posts by EJWash1