SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 12, 2009, 03:51 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,910 Posts
Cool
Transmitter telemetry display

Years ago we made a poll about what people wanted for telemetry and at the time, people wanted a PC based version more than a transmitter mounted version. It is next to impossible to see a display while flying, and frankly a bit dangerous to take your eyes off the plane to look at the transmitter. But, considering that people look at timers and other things, we have decided to go ahead with our transmitter mounted telemetry display.

ALL of the transmitter modules we have produced have a telemetry display port built in. The port does not have a connector, so one much be soldered in place. We will offer a kit, and also offer the option to send in your existing transmitter module for the upgrade and new firmware required to use it.

The display is a very simple I2C COG LCD with adapter board. No price set yet, but it should be pretty inexpensive.
JimDrew is offline Find More Posts by JimDrew
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 12, 2009, 05:52 PM
Lucerne, Switzerland
Joined Nov 2009
9 Posts
Hi Jim,

very cool - can't wait :-)

- will this be possible with current MX-16 iFS ?
- any chance for an acoustic signal when arriving at a critical voltage ?
pixler is offline Find More Posts by pixler
Old Nov 12, 2009, 05:55 PM
Ireland
Joined Apr 2001
4,031 Posts
is that the eagletree powerpanel you are using?
cmulder is offline Find More Posts by cmulder
Old Nov 12, 2009, 06:55 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,910 Posts
No, this will not work with the MX-16. The built-in RF does not have the telemetry interface. We will have a handheld telemetry display with alarms and such. This is just a simple LCD interface.

No, that is not an Eagletree display. The Eagletree display is a 20x2, this one is a 16x2, so it is smaller.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 12, 2009, 07:05 PM
Phoenix, Arizona
Joined Jan 2009
1,421 Posts
Will it work with a dx7?
lazer155 is offline Find More Posts by lazer155
Old Nov 12, 2009, 07:33 PM
Lucerne, Switzerland
Joined Nov 2009
9 Posts
Hi Jim,

- any chance to get another xps module into the mx-16 ? (with telemetry interface) ?

I guess there is no chance to use the telemetry station as standalone device and connect this forthcoming display/alarm device to it?

mounting such a small telemetry/warning device to the mx-16 would be of great help and security when soaring for hours somewhere in the mountains. carry a pc-laptop for 4h into the hills is not very practicable.

But - hey! what about connecting the telemetry station to the iPhone ???? = soaring for hours with cool music in my ears, and suddenly a nice ladys voice tells me to land because of critical rx voltage ? (ok - just kidding - but wouldn't that be cool? )
Last edited by pixler; Nov 12, 2009 at 07:45 PM.
Old Nov 12, 2009, 08:35 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,910 Posts
It is possible to mod the MX-16 board (adding two wires to the CPU).

No, this won't work with the DX7.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 12, 2009, 09:19 PM
User
Colorado
Joined Oct 2004
1,424 Posts
How about a graphic LCD so you can have large characters/numbers for emphasis as well the ability to display graphs, etc.
rmteo is offline Find More Posts by rmteo
Old Nov 12, 2009, 11:24 PM
Tennessee
Joined Sep 2003
2,338 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmteo View Post
How about a graphic LCD so you can have large characters/numbers for emphasis as well the ability to display graphs, etc.
Why? I have been using thermal sensors in my cross country sailplanes since 1975 and wouldn't take my eyes off the model to look at a screen. Wouldn't take my eyes off the model for the pattern models or pylon racers I used to fly either so a display on the transmitter would be useless. I want to use telematery for performance measurements so I want to download the data for later analysis. Analysis of aerodynamic data was part of my job for the 32 years I worked as a wind tunnel test project engineer.
ChuckA is offline Find More Posts by ChuckA
Last edited by ChuckA; Nov 12, 2009 at 11:25 PM. Reason: typo
Old Nov 13, 2009, 01:06 AM
Lucerne, Switzerland
Joined Nov 2009
9 Posts
ok, thanks jim. I hope I can find someone who is able to do the mod for me, because I have no knowledge in doing so.
Old Nov 13, 2009, 09:23 AM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,910 Posts
Our handlheld unit has a really nice graphical LCD display. It also has a SD media card slot, speaker, USB interface, external interface, and RGB LED. Powered by a single cell 400mAh Lipo (internal).

It can be telemetry monitor, spectrum analyzer, Rx/Tx settings changer, Rx/Tx diagnostics, osciiloscope, voltmeter, ampmeter (with external clamp on), servo pulse generator, receiver servo pulse display, Hitec and Hyperion servo programmer, and more! It also has the capability to upload your own applications and run them on the box.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 13, 2009, 10:50 AM
Joined Jul 2008
59 Posts
Very exciting stuff!

1) will the transmitter display be able to display whatever sensors you have installed or just voltage & signal?

2) When can we expect the handheld unit? I know you don't like to publish times but generalties is good enough like within 3 months, 6 months, 1 year?

3) will the handheld unit be small enough to attach to the transmitter or clip to my pocket?

Thanks,

Kent
TopShelf is offline Find More Posts by TopShelf
Old Nov 14, 2009, 10:03 AM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,910 Posts
The display shows 2 sensors and the Rx voltage/Tx RSSI. It could be programmed to alternate display pages based on the number of sensors you have. So, we could have 4 sensors (Rx voltage/Tx RSSI would be considered 2 sensors) per display page.

Handheld unit is 4.5" x 3.25" x .9"

It can be placed on top of the transmitter (using our radio tool that plugs into the original antenna hole). You could also use a belt clip. No release date, but this a product that has been basically finished for a year. It uses our new RF hardware which is the hold up right now (FCC testing and tweaking), so I can't give you an actual release date.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 14, 2009, 01:02 PM
United States, AZ, Surprise
Joined Jul 2002
397 Posts
Jim,
Are we talking about a"VARIO" connection? Could this be done?
John
jcyr1 is offline Find More Posts by jcyr1
Old Nov 14, 2009, 02:42 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,910 Posts
It is not possible to get an audio variable with a simple telemetry display as discussed here, although it is possible ot make a more complex box that could do that.
RCG Plus Member