HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 12, 2009, 08:40 AM
It was the wind!
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Oct 2008
187 Posts
Discussion
What Is The Best RTF Electric For Under $100???

What Is The Best RTF Electric For Under $100? It can be both an airplane or a helicopter. I Just wanted to see what else was out there. They can be anytype of plane-3 channel-4 channel-3D-etc. Ive been flying for 3 almost 4 years now-and I love sport and 3D...

AIRPLANES:

Ive Chosen for the best plane-either the hobbyzone Mini Cub-http://www.hobbyzone.com/rc-planes-hobbyzone-mini-super-cub-rtf.htm

Or the Flyzone Playmate Micro-(It hasnt come out yet,but looks great) http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXXSP8&P=ML

HELIS:

Ive chosen the Exceed RC 2.4Ghz Falcon 40 V2-
http://www.xheli.com/2-4ghz-exceed-rc-falcon-40.html

Heres a great review on the Falcon 40:
The Improved XHeli Exceed RC Falcon 40 Heli reviewed by NightFlyyer. (5 min 49 sec)

Tell me what you think-

zdweet
zdsweet is offline Find More Posts by zdsweet
Last edited by zdsweet; Nov 12, 2009 at 06:49 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 12, 2009, 08:57 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Personally, owning a number of small planes along the lines of the HobbyZone Mini Super Cub, I found the Mini SC to be on the bottom of the list. The spring loaded throttle stick makes for an unrealistic throttle management, as most all planes have a 'set and forget' arrangement.

I also found the Mini SC to be on the fast side, with a relatively high wing loading, necessitating the user stay pretty much on top of the plane while it's in the air.

A beginner, in my opinion, needs as few distractions as possible when learning to fly, and the Mini doesn't afford them this opportunity.

The ParkZone Vapor is another matter altogether. A hlast to fly for both the raw beginner and expert alike. A dead calm day plane; it will teach the beginner orientation, while allowing him plenty of time to think about what he must do when flying the plane.

Just my opinions...

Chuck
NoFlyZone is offline Find More Posts by NoFlyZone
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 12, 2009, 09:15 AM
Joined Jan 2009
7,643 Posts
I'll second the Vapor, as a fun and inexpensive first plane. But outdoors, it must be flown in near-zero wind. Once you've mastered the Vapor, you might try your hand at the micro Sukhoi or Mustang in the same series. (Start by flying them over grass, not pavement!)
rafe_b is offline Find More Posts by rafe_b
Old Nov 12, 2009, 06:47 PM
It was the wind!
Joined Oct 2008
187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rafe_b View Post
I'll second the Vapor, as a fun and inexpensive first plane. But outdoors, it must be flown in near-zero wind. Once you've mastered the Vapor, you might try your hand at the micro Sukhoi or Mustang in the same series. (Start by flying them over grass, not pavement!)
Thanks for the help...Ive already got the flying thing down...(3 years of experience) I just am looking at what id like for the B-day... I didnt want to it to be over $100.
Old Nov 12, 2009, 06:48 PM
It was the wind!
Joined Oct 2008
187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFlyZone View Post
Personally, owning a number of small planes along the lines of the HobbyZone Mini Super Cub, I found the Mini SC to be on the bottom of the list. The spring loaded throttle stick makes for an unrealistic throttle management, as most all planes have a 'set and forget' arrangement.

I also found the Mini SC to be on the fast side, with a relatively high wing loading, necessitating the user stay pretty much on top of the plane while it's in the air.

A beginner, in my opinion, needs as few distractions as possible when learning to fly, and the Mini doesn't afford them this opportunity.

The ParkZone Vapor is another matter altogether. A hlast to fly for both the raw beginner and expert alike. A dead calm day plane; it will teach the beginner orientation, while allowing him plenty of time to think about what he must do when flying the plane.

Just my opinions...

Chuck
Thanks for the help. Ive got the flying down...just was wondering as my B-days coming up and I didnt want to ask for too much...
Old Nov 12, 2009, 07:05 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdsweet View Post
Thanks for the help. Ive got the flying down...just was wondering as my B-days coming up and I didnt want to ask for too much...
Ask for a Blade MCX heli. More fun than people should have, and durable as anything. Can fly it indoors or outdoors in dead calm weather. I still recommend the Vapor as a fun plane, regardless of your experience level. I love mine.

Chuck
NoFlyZone is offline Find More Posts by NoFlyZone
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 12, 2009, 09:18 PM
Promoting Model Aviation...
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Nov 2005
24,884 Posts
I just bought a E-Flite Blade MSR and it's a lot of fun. Seems to be well worth the $150 or so that it costs.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1084185

I also have the Vapor, one for me and one for my son. Those are fun little planes.

Frank
Murocflyer is offline Find More Posts by Murocflyer
Old Nov 12, 2009, 11:09 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
Joined Oct 2007
20,935 Posts
IMO, if you're considering getting a Blade MCX, you might as well go with the better option, and that's the Novus CX from HeliMax. Bigger lipo for longer flights, and IMO flies a bit more sporty
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..