Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Apr 30, 2003, 10:01 PM
Giddy up!
Woodridge, Illinois
Joined May 2000
4,478 Posts
Looking for a "real" steam carpet cleaner...

Anyone know if a real steam cleaner can be had for cleaning carpets? The crap that sells in the stores is just that. They call them "steam" cleaners but you only use hot water and they don't heat it up. I'm not looking for a truck mounted one but just something that will do a professional job. Price isn't that important as I wouldn't mind paying more for something that will last and besides the rest of my family (sisters, brothers, in-laws) would most likely chip in to buy a commercial grade type unit so we can all use it.

Thanks.
Sal C is offline Find More Posts by Sal C
Old May 02, 2003, 07:11 AM
Bend Or
Joined Apr 2002
167 Posts
Sal,
As a father with young uns. I want to tell you something.
Carpet is for the birds. And the whole family is sucked in.
OMG. Repeat wood flooors and rugs. Wood floors and rugs.

Kapos
kapos45 is offline Find More Posts by kapos45
Old May 02, 2003, 07:51 AM
Giddy up!
Woodridge, Illinois
Joined May 2000
4,478 Posts
kapos,

LOL but I have a dog and she would scratch up the wood floor, that's why we didn't go that route.

Surely someone has to know about a steam cleaner!
Sal C is offline Find More Posts by Sal C
Old May 02, 2003, 10:38 AM
Senior Gravity Checker
Tampa, Florida
Joined Mar 2001
1,045 Posts
I just bought a Bissel steam cleaner. It's the only one with an internal heater. Keeps the water warm while you work. The results.....a moderate cleaning. Good for the daily grime but nowhere near the results of a professional clean.

I kept it as it works OK. Might call in the pro's to get out those pet stains that wont leave. -Ken
kist2001 is online now Find More Posts by kist2001
Old May 02, 2003, 11:45 AM
AKA Terry Till
Alexandria, VA
Joined Apr 2002
1,485 Posts
Steam cleaner

Sal,
I don't know of a commercially available steam cleaner for residential use. The only one, at this time, that heats water internally is the Bissell Pro heat Power Plus, which I have. Samsung has a patent to what you're looking for (Pat. 5,502,872), but I don't know if it's commercially available. True steam heaters are usually big commercial units or they are for cleaning hard floors or clothes, etc. I am a patent examiner with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office and vacuum cleaners is the technology I work in. Caveat: my profession doesn't mean I'm aware of every commercially available product. You run into liability issues with the produciton of actual steam cleaners= no residential ones.
-Just read the above patent. It is for hard floor cleaning, not carpet. Sorry.

Terry
ex-racr is offline Find More Posts by ex-racr
Last edited by ex-racr; May 02, 2003 at 01:23 PM.