Closed Thread
Old Nov 11, 2009, 11:54 PM
"Jesters" KC-135 Demo Team
United States, MI, Ypsilanti
Joined Sep 2005
1,656 Posts
Help!
VELOCITY WM400MK2 Fan Help

I am building the Velocity T-33 and as part of the kit came the new WM400MK2 fan unit. I have never dealt with this particular fan so I have followed the instructions by the book. The issue is that the main fan assembly seems to be missing a plate that the motor actually bolts on to (or is it?) I know this is a "version 2" motor and maybe it is not needed as the motor itself seems to bolt right up to the holes that are there.

Now that you are as confused as what I am trying to say let me show you some pictures.

Here is a pic (NOT MY FAN) of the version 1 WM400MK1 that I found here on RCG. Notice the part that the screws are coming out of:

Here is my MK2 fan and everything I had in the box, am I missing anything or do I have the complete fan?:
Looking from the front:

Looking from the rear:

The Impeller:

Everything that was in the box:

I have never gone this all out on an EDF (I usually just buy the foamies that come with a fan and small motor installed) and do not want to screw this thing up because I am missing a mounting bearing. Feel free to call me a dumb @ss as I probably deserve it but I figure I will swallow my pride and ask for help. Thanks

Here is a link to the instruction manual, page 7, first step shows what I am talking about.

http://www.velocity-rc.com/vrc/prod/...install-r2.pdf
kc135boomer is offline Find More Posts by kc135boomer
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 12, 2009, 03:13 AM
PH.D in Scratchbuilding
Denmark, Region Zealand, Holbaek
Joined Sep 2005
325 Posts
Don't worry... nothing seems to be missing.

The new MK2 housing is pre-made with cooling holes. So just mount the motor directly as it is. Works perfectly.

One of these fan i going into my F-8 Crusader.... Build thread under 'EDF Foamies'....
jweber009 is offline Find More Posts by jweber009
Old Nov 12, 2009, 08:49 AM
Joined Sep 2005
1,656 Posts
Whew! Thank you very much for the quick answer. I can get back to work knowing all is well.
Old Nov 12, 2009, 10:45 AM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,013 Posts
boomer

looks like you are ok keep us posted ...what motor and batt are you using ? the MK II has great performance it really pushes my Draken quit well .give us some amp and watt numbers when you have it running.
AIR SALLY is online now Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Nov 12, 2009, 10:52 AM
Joined Sep 2005
1,656 Posts
I am on the fence about the motor, the Motor Anthony at Velocity has looks great and it made for it, my co workers are telling me to go with the Hoffman or Jet screamers so at this point I just do not know (maybe I will let my wife pick). As for a battery I am more than likely going to use a 3500+ 4S or a 5 with a 100A Speed control
Old Nov 12, 2009, 11:38 AM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,013 Posts
well i have a JS 1400 in mine with the mark II rotor it does right at 1350-1400 watts pull 92 ish amps ..installed is a bit less amps and watts ,but anthony motor may pull less amps and watts but will allow a smaller batt and longer flight times ,so you weigh what you want....the hoffman and JS are happiest with a 5000 mah batt for 4s . hope this helps
Old Nov 12, 2009, 10:37 PM
Joined Sep 2005
1,656 Posts
Wow, this thread went south quick. That said, I love the fan and can't wait to hear it sing. I feel much better knowing it is good to go. Anthony, your jet is so nice that a few more folks from my office are going to order the BAE Hawk and the Mirage within the next few weeks.

If I could change anything it would to update the instructions. They seem a little outdated but thanks to RCG and other sites I am able to get the info needed.
Old Nov 12, 2009, 11:06 PM
Suspended Account
Mokena,Illinois -United States
Joined Oct 2006
5,833 Posts
The only thing this fan needs drastically is a better way to keep the rotor attached to the collet for high power uses. Like using a pinned rotor or something like it. The other thing it needs REALLY BAD is to come already dynamically balanced. It needs this to be competitive with the het and wemo fans. As this fan is rather difficult to balance yourself.
lavochkin is offline Find More Posts by lavochkin
Old Nov 13, 2009, 12:41 AM
steve morris
wekiva springs,florida
Joined Jul 2006
229 Posts
Anthony, The MK2 rotor pull less amps than the old rotor.
steve morris is offline Find More Posts by steve morris
Old Nov 13, 2009, 01:09 AM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,013 Posts
Mk

no it pulls more but it has higher rpm and makes lots of thrust...on 5s it was killer .
Joe yes i agree Claus said he was working on a fix for the hub ....i spun mine out on 5s . i like the collet adaptor but they dont make that anymore ,and i think they replace the brass adaptor with a alum alloy one ...i have a mkII coming so i will report on it . the shroud is the strongest out there and the mkII rotor is beefed up as well .
Old Nov 13, 2009, 03:35 AM
Germany
Joined Jan 2003
171 Posts
@Anthony

You are a very nice man. VERY
modellbobby is offline Find More Posts by modellbobby
Old Nov 13, 2009, 04:16 AM
Joined Nov 2006
250 Posts
Mk2

If anyone says the MK2 is seriously out of balanced then he is very wrong.Infact, there are all dynamically balanced.Honestly, the MK2 rotor is the most easy to balance,we can even tell you where is the sensitive point.
Claus would have agreed too.A few drips of the liquid paper is all it takes to solve any vibrations should there be any.So is that easy dude?

Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavochkin View Post
The only thing this fan needs drastically is a better way to keep the rotor attached to the collet for high power uses. Like using a pinned rotor or something like it. The other thing it needs REALLY BAD is to come already dynamically balanced. It needs this to be competitive with the het and wemo fans. As this fan is rather difficult to balance yourself.
velocity-rc is offline Find More Posts by velocity-rc
Last edited by velocity-rc; Nov 13, 2009 at 04:41 AM.
Old Nov 13, 2009, 04:32 AM
Team White Llama!
Joined Jan 2008
8,144 Posts
Anthony...a word of advice, drop the attitude!

The MK1 didn't come balanced, a simple "the MK2 now come dynamically balanced" would be more than enough.

is that easy enough dude?
gundamnitpete is offline Find More Posts by gundamnitpete
Old Nov 13, 2009, 04:39 AM
Joined Nov 2006
250 Posts
Mk2

I am refering to the MK2 not the regular rotor.I am just stating the facts that is all...

Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by gundamnitpete View Post
Anthony...a word of advice, drop the attitude!

The MK1 didn't come balanced, a simple "the MK2 now come dynamically balanced" would be more than enough.

is that easy enough dude?
velocity-rc is offline Find More Posts by velocity-rc
Old Nov 13, 2009, 04:42 AM
Team White Llama!
Joined Jan 2008
8,144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by velocity-rc View Post
I am refering to the MK2 not the regular rotor.I am just stating the facts that is all...

Anthony
you get more bees with honey than vinegar...
gundamnitpete is offline Find More Posts by gundamnitpete
Closed Thread