HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 11, 2009, 10:51 PM
Diving Down & Flying High
Fontana,Ca.
Joined Jun 2008
403 Posts
Discussion
Race Boats at Lake Lake

Hey does anyone know anything about the Race boats at Leg Lake in California?

I drove about 45mins to Leg Lake a few weeks ago & no one showed up to run boats.
I like Gas & Electric everything. Rumor has it that the Gas & Electric guys don't get along? Very sad. I brought a lot of Cash & was ready to buy an Electric Race boat. May end up with a gas boat too. I think the best way to get into a nice Race boat is to buy something ready to go and talk to the people running them.
Any info or Web sites on Electric or Gas boat racing would be very helpful to me. Everyone at my local lake in Riverside doesn't know really too much about Race boat clubs or where to check them out. They mostly run Sailboats.
Will.E.King is offline Find More Posts by Will.E.King
Last edited by Will.E.King; Nov 12, 2009 at 11:28 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 12, 2009, 12:04 AM
Studying Engineer
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Jun 2009
685 Posts
Gas and electric guys don't get along? Sounds like a personality problem to me. Personaly i run both, or should i say all three/four/five/how every many types of indirect styles, etc.

You should ask you local hoby shop.
MarcRacer18 is offline Find More Posts by MarcRacer18
Old Nov 12, 2009, 01:00 AM
Joined Nov 2005
1,617 Posts
lake lake? I don't think I've heard about that one...leg lake, yes.... any way try the lhs.
the nitro/gas crowd have in the past looked at the 'fe' boats with some amusment, but now we're gaining converts(or at least new looks) after the fe boats go zapping by their boats, it almost isn't fair to race them .
Rex R is offline Find More Posts by Rex R
Old Nov 12, 2009, 11:24 PM
Fontana,Ca.
Joined Jun 2008
403 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex R View Post
lake lake? I don't think I've heard about that one...leg lake, yes.... any way try the lhs.
the nitro/gas crowd have in the past looked at the 'fe' boats with some amusment, but now we're gaining converts(or at least new looks) after the fe boats go zapping by their boats, it almost isn't fair to race them .
Yes, Your right the name is Legg Lake in Whittier Narrows Park. I've only been there a few times. The few hobby stores near where I live- Riverside Hobby people & Hobby town in Corona & Pegasus Hobbys in Ontario don't know really any thing about boats. I wouldn't mine having an Gas boat but, Know for sure I'd like a good fast Electric boat maybe something over 80MPH. I heard they will run again in Nov at Legg lake? Hope so. Do you know any web sites that I could check their Race Calender? Thanks for any info.
Last edited by Will.E.King; Nov 13, 2009 at 12:01 AM.
Old Nov 13, 2009, 02:09 AM
Joined Nov 2005
1,617 Posts
apparently there are not a lot of 'FE' guys running in 'SoCal', but the main goto guy posts over on the ose forum by the name of 'Properchopper'. I gather that (if I read it right) they will be running this weekend...the bad news is; you need to be a member of 'namba' to run at legg lake (insurance issue). hth
rex
Old Nov 13, 2009, 10:35 AM
Fontana,Ca.
Joined Jun 2008
403 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex R View Post
apparently there are not a lot of 'FE' guys running in 'SoCal', but the main goto guy posts over on the ose forum by the name of 'Properchopper'. I gather that (if I read it right) they will be running this weekend...the bad news is; you need to be a member of 'namba' to run at legg lake (insurance issue). hth
rex
I just don't want to drive another 45mins to the lake for nothing. I'll try looking up that name (Properchopper). From what I hear last yr was very big advent there at Legg Lake. OSE Forum? FE means Fast Electric? Thanks again for your info.
Old Nov 13, 2009, 12:54 PM
Joined Nov 2005
1,617 Posts
OSE = offshoreelectrics.com
Old Nov 16, 2009, 03:50 AM
www.scaleflying.com
Humble, Texas
Joined May 2009
238 Posts
Another site to check on the events at Legg Lake...

Rumrunnerracing.com

To run there you do indeed need to be a member of Namba...
rovpilot26 is online now Find More Posts by rovpilot26
Old Nov 16, 2009, 09:16 PM
Fontana,Ca.
Joined Jun 2008
403 Posts
legg lake is kind of far from my home to run weekly anyway. Plus, you gotta pay just to get in there? I just want to go out there to buy a used fast boat, & just watch them run once in a while. If I was to get into it more I'd have no problem joining any clubs.
The lake near my home in Riverside Ca, would be no problem to run electric or gas fast boats. No membership needed. I just need the boats. Very hard to find used fast boats. No one wants to give them up. On line anyway.
Thanks for your Web link. I'll check it out.
Last edited by Will.E.King; Nov 16, 2009 at 09:23 PM.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 12:21 AM
www.scaleflying.com
Humble, Texas
Joined May 2009
238 Posts
SAW boats...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will.E.King View Post
legg lake is kind of far from my home to run weekly anyway. Plus, you gotta pay just to get in there? I just want to go out there to buy a used fast boat, & just watch them run once in a while. If I was to get into it more I'd have no problem joining any clubs.
The lake near my home in Riverside Ca, would be no problem to run electric or gas fast boats. No membership needed. I just need the boats. Very hard to find used fast boats. No one wants to give them up. On line anyway.
Thanks for your Web link. I'll check it out.

The fastest straight away boat racers in the world are regular contributors on RumRunner... Which is why I pointed you there... Although I seriously doubt that it would happen... You ought to post a thread over there asking if anyone wants to sell their SAW boat to you... The reason that many don't get sold to non racers is that they are dangerous and many are so far out on the ragged edge that they regularly smoke expensive ESCs and batteries... Not to mention the fact that there is little you can do with a runaway going 80+ MPH.

I was an oval and offshore class racer and couldn't see myself spending that much money on something designed to go out and back through the traps once per charge...

Good luck with your search...

BTW, not bashing ya... just giving you a heads up...

If you get a chance hunt down Joerg M, Jay Turner, Tim Higdon, and Dan Chase... Some of the fastest FE racers on the planet....
rovpilot26 is online now Find More Posts by rovpilot26
Old Nov 17, 2009, 11:21 AM
Fontana,Ca.
Joined Jun 2008
403 Posts
I can really start to understand the danger factor on fast boats & lipos. I've also heard stories about lipos shorting out from water inside the hull & burning up & sinking out in the water. Ya, once the ESC burns up can't shut down the motor. Very Scary.
I've been using lipos for a few yrs & use a 10c charger, for mostly aircraft. but I don't really work on motors or batts. I do have a few friends that do build lipos & wind motors for me. I would go to them for set-up advice.
I still would like to save some money w/ a used boat that's been proven.
Someone told me their running this weekend at Legg Lake, but I'll be out of town. Maybe I'll catch them another time.

I really want to thank you for your information. I'm sure it will help me a lot.
Last edited by Will.E.King; Nov 17, 2009 at 11:31 AM.