HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 11, 2009, 10:27 PM
SoCal
Joined Feb 2004
380 Posts
Discussion
New recovery method

I'm an old modeler returning to some rocketry for fun. I scratchbuilt a Commanche 3 and flew it today on all three stages for the first time. I didn't get the upper stage motor in right and it ejected instead of the chute. But I had a new recovery method that worked to perfection! Not a scratch.
TonyF is offline Find More Posts by TonyF
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 12, 2009, 12:33 AM
just Some Useless Geek
Chicagoland
Joined Oct 2008
2,535 Posts
Oy. About a decade ago my club had a launch where a visitor flew one of the old Estes X-wings. You know, the ones with the steel spike on the engine pod? Well, the pod fell like the Thor orbital bombardment weapon it is and penetrated the canopy of some visiting lady's parasol. After that we declared X-wings to be "heads up, on your feet" launches. The next year we banned them altogether.

Looks like Commanches may fall into the same category, eh?
A Useless Geek is offline Find More Posts by A Useless Geek
Old Jan 04, 2010, 07:04 PM
Delaware
Joined Aug 2004
412 Posts
TonyF, you must be a NASA technician to have figured out that trajectory! Don't let anyone tell you you're not a rocket scientist!
terry.cx is offline Find More Posts by terry.cx
Old Jan 05, 2010, 12:17 AM
SoCal
Joined Feb 2004
380 Posts
Well, I did work at NASA Dryden for 11 years. But it was pure luck.
TonyF is offline Find More Posts by TonyF