HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 11, 2009, 09:07 PM
Newcastle
Joined Oct 2003
581 Posts
Discussion
Is this radio any good?

I am after some advice please? I fly a DX7 and love the radio to bits. A mate is looking at getting in to the hobby and he doesn't want to spend that much up front.

He showed me this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/2-4Ghz-RC-Pla...item4398fabfc5

Who makes it? Is it any good???? I have never seen it before and can't find any info on it.

thanks in advance

Steve
J.E. Johnson is offline Find More Posts by J.E. Johnson
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 11, 2009, 09:46 PM
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined Oct 2004
5,965 Posts
Some information here. Check the link in post #2.

Bill
ebill3 is offline Find More Posts by ebill3
Old Nov 11, 2009, 11:12 PM
Joined Jun 2008
130 Posts
I wouldn't have anything to do with any of these 'off brands' mainly due to the fact that 2.4 TX's are only compatible(for the most part) with the same brand of RX. Plus these cheap ones are generally less resistance to interference. If the company ceases making the equipment, you can't buy any more RXs that your TX needs. So, you're out of luck.
I'd stick with the main brand name 2.4 radios.
jc
jcccc is offline Find More Posts by jcccc
Old Nov 11, 2009, 11:27 PM
Watch out for that TREE!
Houston, Tx
Joined Oct 2006
1,458 Posts
Check out the 2.4 radios from Hobby City. They mostly get pretty good marks, if only because of price / performance ratio. The are threads concerning most of them in this forum.

John
GD5015 is offline Find More Posts by GD5015
Old Nov 12, 2009, 01:00 AM
Newcastle
Joined Oct 2003
581 Posts
Thanks for the comments guys. I showed him the DX6 at hobby city, for not many extra dollars you get a known brand with known quality...

I was curious what everyone else had to say on the matter.

Thanks for the link to the turnigy thread too!
Old Nov 12, 2009, 07:34 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,104 Posts
Well as to "is it any good?" It really depends on your expectations. If you are expecting Futaba quality at discount prices, you will be disappointed.
I have two of the Turnigy version of the Eurgle and the Tx's are both working fine for me. I am using the Assan TX and RX's and I have bought a fair number of RX's to use in multiple airplanes as well. I have been using the Assan gear mostly in Park Flyers no problem, but I have run RX's in a couple of glow engine planes and they work fine there too.

But some people have had solder joint problems and found some bugs or problems with some of the advanced features in programming. Quality is something of a crap shoot, as to whether you need fix things or not.
earlwb is offline Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter
Old Nov 12, 2009, 04:22 PM
Joined Jun 2008
130 Posts
[QUOTE=J.E. Johnson;13561031]I am after some advice please? I fly a DX7 and love the radio to bits. A mate is looking at getting in to the hobby and he doesn't want to spend that much up front.

He showed me this one:

Who makes it? Is it any good???? I have never seen it before and can't find any info on it.

thanks in advance (quote)

Heck, if your buddy is just starting into the hobby, there's a chance(probably a BIG chance from what I've seen over the years in this hobby)he might not REALLY get INTO the hobby, and it might just be a passing fancy with him. Check out some used 72mhz radio equipment it low prices. Just a thought.

In a later post you mentioned the DX6. Just be warned the DX6 is NOT DSM2 compatible. So if your'e into Parkzone micros, he'll need at least a DX6i or pay an extra $30 for the cheapo TX that come with the PnP micros. Also, of course, the 72 mhz equipment won't work with the micros either.

Such is the dilema.

jc
Old Nov 12, 2009, 05:00 PM
Newcastle
Joined Oct 2003
581 Posts
[QUOTE=jcccc;13566821]
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.E. Johnson View Post
I am after some advice please? I fly a DX7 and love the radio to bits. A mate is looking at getting in to the hobby and he doesn't want to spend that much up front.

He showed me this one:

thanks in advance (quote)

Heck, if your buddy is just starting into the hobby, there's a chance(probably a BIG chance from what I've seen over the years in this hobby)he might not REALLY get INTO the hobby, and it might just be a passing fancy with him. Check out some used 72mhz radio equipment it low prices. Just a thought.

In a later post you mentioned the DX6. Just be warned the DX6 is NOT DSM2 compatible. So if your'e into Parkzone micros, he'll need at least a DX6i or pay an extra $30 for the cheapo TX that come with the PnP micros. Also, of course, the 72 mhz equipment won't work with the micros either.

Such is the dilema.

jc

Hi JC ( I think I read a long book about you. It was in two parts - but that may have been a different J.C...)

Thanks for the excellent points you raised here. I just checked the DX6 we were looking at and it is actually a DX6i with an AR6200. I didn't realise that there was a difference so I guess you learn something new every day.

Parkzone bind and fly is a mildy sore point with me. We don't really get much parkzone stuff here, it is next to impossible to buy a Stryker F27c for example and it is too big to post from overseas... ME109 - What Me109 they say in my LHS....

Your other point "He may not get in to the hobby". That is the biggest point. If I knew he was going to follow on I would advise he spends money on top quality now. If he's going to get sick of it in a month then yeah - anything will do the job.

Thanks again for the advice guys, I'll show all this to him
Old Nov 12, 2009, 08:22 PM
Joined Jun 2008
130 Posts
LOL!!

Glad to pitch in with my 2 cents.

jc
Old Nov 12, 2009, 10:15 PM
RCPlaye
United States, CT, East Hartford
Joined Aug 2009
711 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.E. Johnson View Post

He showed me this one:

thanks in advance

Steve
Get this one its the same thing for a cheaper price...
http://www.r2hobbies.com/proddetail.php?prod=rcps61207
CoolBudz is offline Find More Posts by CoolBudz