HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 11, 2009, 06:09 PM
Promoting Model Aviation...
United States, CT, Litchfield
Joined Nov 2005
25,022 Posts
Discussion
Why Not Support Our Hobby?

I'm asking this question because I am wondering why folks do not feel the need to support the only organization that helps promote our hobby. It seems to me that anyone who enjoys flying RC airplanes would want to support the AMA since they do so much for our hobby and its members.

See this for more info: http://www.modelaircraft.org/aboutama/whatisama.aspx

I've even seen posts where folks say they actually "hate" the AMA.

So if we could, and do it calmly, (I know ho heated these discussions can get) can we discuss the reasons why you do not like an organization that exists to promote and protect our hobby?

Thanks,

Frank
Murocflyer is online now Find More Posts by Murocflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 11, 2009, 06:15 PM
I dont crash,I land with STYLE
Litchfield Park,AZ
Joined Oct 2009
122 Posts
Well..I like guns but Im not a member of the NRA... I dont feel the need to put any money into their pockets. if they want me to sign a petition or vote on something to keep my rights im all over it.. I just dont feel the need to join..

I feel the same way about the AMA.. I dont feel i really need to be a member due to the fact I fly a supercub in my local school yards...I dont do 3d competitions,I dont fly nitro etc...
GoYotes is offline Find More Posts by GoYotes
Old Nov 11, 2009, 06:19 PM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
USA, MD, Annapolis
Joined Feb 2005
4,894 Posts
GoYotes,
Make sure your Home Owners Insurance is up to date in case your flying damages some property.
Gary
Gary Hoorn is offline Find More Posts by Gary Hoorn
Old Nov 11, 2009, 06:20 PM
Litchfield Park,AZ
Joined Oct 2009
122 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Hoorn View Post
GoYotes,
Make sure your Home Owners Insurance is up to date in case your flying damages some property.
Gary
Good on that.
Old Nov 11, 2009, 06:29 PM
Joined Nov 2005
25,022 Posts
I should add, let's not debate any posts unless questions are asked -this tends to be a hot topic so that may be the best way to keep it friendly.

Frank
Old Nov 11, 2009, 06:30 PM
3DHS 'native'
USA, TX, Spring
Joined Jan 2008
5,929 Posts
I joined for the insurance. Not sure what else they really do for me other than the magazine.
going4speed is offline Find More Posts by going4speed
Old Nov 11, 2009, 06:31 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
I predict by 15 posts, this thread will turn into a carbon copy of every other pro AMA thread on RC Groups.

Anyone want to disagree?

Chuck
NoFlyZone is offline Find More Posts by NoFlyZone
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 11, 2009, 06:33 PM
Litchfield Park,AZ
Joined Oct 2009
122 Posts
Garys post got me thinkin a little...
What if I have an unscheduled expedited landing into somebody else's property?
Does the AMA offer some type of insurance you can buy for that?
I know they have flying fields which offer a safe haven. but what happens if you fly off property and nail a house/building? what about a car in the parking lot of a flying field?
Not trying to start any wars,just thought it was a good point he made.
Old Nov 11, 2009, 07:07 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
20,936 Posts
^They can provide support incase such an issue happens.

They can also provide support incase an rc product malfunctions, and causes severe property damage (like a $35k brand new Toyota Tundra that burnt to the ground with $4500 worth of rc gear because of a fuel pump got switched on during loading).

Those of you who say they "hate" the AMA obviously do not understand what the AMA is trying to do here, and that is to promote development of model aviation as a recognized sport and worthwhile recreation activity.

The events local clubs try to put together and have AMA sanction are trying to promote the hobby, get people involved, and EVERYONE is invited I know we mainly go to such events to watch the spectacular array of planes fly, or professional pilots fly aircraft to their limits, or even just to socialize with local modelers, and hang out on a day of nothing but fun.
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Nov 11, 2009, 07:16 PM
Joined Nov 2005
25,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFlyZone View Post
I predict by 15 posts, this thread will turn into a carbon copy of every other pro AMA thread on RC Groups.

Anyone want to disagree?

Chuck
I certainly hope not. But that's up to the folks posting here.

5 to go.

Frank
Old Nov 11, 2009, 07:27 PM
San Antonio, TX.
Joined Feb 2009
637 Posts
Do you have to join a club if you join the AMA? I am just an occasional flyer although I wish I could fly more but I am just too busy between work and school. Additionally all the club fields are really far from where I live and I have to admit that I'm too lazy to drive all that way.
malden86 is online now Find More Posts by malden86
Old Nov 11, 2009, 07:29 PM
Joined Sep 2005
993 Posts
The AMA does not support or promote model aviation in GENERAL.

They support and promote THEMSELVES.

If you're interested in the social aspects of the AMA, then you join. You join the AMA members to be with other AMA members. If that's your thing, no problem, go for it.

If you're not, and many people are not, then there's not much point to joining. Yes, my homeowner's insurance is paid up.

Promoting AMA and promoting this hobby in general are NOT synonymous. It's a little underhanded to use the two interchangeably.

What gets me is this line from their page:

Quote:
The Academy of Model Aeronautics is a world-class association of modelers organized for the purpose of promotion, development, education, advancement, and safeguarding of modeling activities.
I see no evidence of this.

Someone PLEASE bring some specifics of what the AMA ACTUALLY DOES. SPECIFICS. If all it does is promote itself and it's competitions/events and it's assumed that by some transitive effect these activities promote the hobby in GENERAL, then that's pretty sketchy.

Hypothetical scenario:

A public park exists which has no rules about RC flying. Parkflyers could very well have been flying there without incident.

AMA club comes in, promotes itself, makes a deal with the local government, and convinces them to cordon off a chunk of land for the club, and in exchange (along with some rent money), the entire park is closed off to any flying whatsoever, except for members of the club flying specifically at that club site.

Does this... ever happen?
GoatZilla is online now Find More Posts by GoatZilla
Old Nov 11, 2009, 07:31 PM
Joined Nov 2005
25,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress.. View Post

The events local clubs try to put together and have AMA sanction are trying to promote the hobby, get people involved, and EVERYONE is invited I know we mainly go to such events to watch the spectacular array of planes fly, or professional pilots fly aircraft to their limits, or even just to socialize with local modelers, and hang out on a day of nothing but fun.
Funny you mention that. 9 out of 10 events I go to around here, I don't even fly at. I just go to see other people fly, see what's new, see what's old and to talk RC with people. Here are some photos of a recent event I attanded.

RCers are typically a great bunch of guys and for the most part, very friendly.

Frank
Last edited by Murocflyer; Oct 28, 2013 at 11:15 PM.
Old Nov 11, 2009, 07:32 PM
Boise, ID
Joined Dec 2008
1,102 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress.. View Post
and that is to promote development of model aviation as a recognized sport . . .

Good luck with that. Sport? No way.

Hobby, activity, interest, passion, sure. But, sport? I doubt they will be successful. One gets more exercise playing chess.
tlr-boise is offline Find More Posts by tlr-boise
Old Nov 11, 2009, 07:33 PM
Joined Nov 2005
25,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by malden86 View Post
Do you have to join a club if you join the AMA? I am just an occasional flyer although I wish I could fly more but I am just too busy between work and school. Additionally all the club fields are really far from where I live and I have to admit that I'm too lazy to drive all that way.
No you do not have to join a club to join the AMA. I was an AMA member for two years before I finally joined a local club.

Frank