HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 10, 2009, 07:26 PM
Joined Sep 2005
934 Posts
New Product
Any HD Heros out there?

http://www.goprocamera.com/
I picked up a Go Pro HD Hero at the SEMA Convention in Vegas last week. I hope to get a chance to fly it soon. The Tropical storm that is passing by won't be gone for a few days so i will have to wait.. Has anybody else got one yet?
GallopingGhost is offline Find More Posts by GallopingGhost
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 10, 2009, 07:54 PM
FrankC
Ocala, Florida
Joined Jun 2007
499 Posts
I would like to see some sample videos from this, not the ones on their site but ones done for aerial photography. My preference would be the 720p, could someone describe the advantages or disadvantages to the 60fps versus 30fps? If you shoot at 60fps can you play back at 30fps, and would that make the video look smoother?
FrankC is online now Find More Posts by FrankC
Old Nov 10, 2009, 10:11 PM
Joined Sep 2005
934 Posts
I haven't even put the battery pack in mine or read the manual so I can't say too much at this point. What I can say is in Vegas at the SEMA show the Go Pro booth had 2 42" monitors playing video clips. They had moto cross racing, sky diving, surfing, racing, just about any abusive test of a camera short of intentional destruction. The video and the wide angle views are very impressive. Sky diving is as close to aerial (tah dah) as they had and there were some 60 frame clips. If motocross can look smooth models planes are easy for it. I do recall the different resoluions effect the field of view. 127 and 170 degrees in HD quality. I did ask the Rep. at the booth about live video out for FPV and was told the video out was not active during recording. I would like to find out that isn't so or could be activated.
Old Nov 11, 2009, 07:38 AM
Frogman
Stoughton, WI
Joined Jun 2009
1,702 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankC View Post
I would like to see some sample videos from this, not the ones on their site but ones done for aerial photography. My preference would be the 720p, could someone describe the advantages or disadvantages to the 60fps versus 30fps? If you shoot at 60fps can you play back at 30fps, and would that make the video look smoother?
60p means you are shooting 60 individual images to storage per second of footage instead of the usual 30 (in the US). That means if you slow the clip down to 50% in your editor it is now displaying at 30fps and still fluid but it will be slow motion. When you play the 60p footage back in RT at 60fps it will be a little smoother cause there is more info playing per second.

If you edit video slow a clip down to 50% or slower. You will see the clip start to get a little more jerky as it slows down. The 60p keeps it smooth to at least 50% speed. It's a pretty sweet feature.
frogman1206 is offline Find More Posts by frogman1206
Old Nov 11, 2009, 09:15 AM
FrankC
Ocala, Florida
Joined Jun 2007
499 Posts
Sounds promising, I'll keep an eye on this thread to see how it works out. I have been looking at the Panasonic LX3 as a camera that can handle both stills and video, it does 720p at 30fps. I am open to using two more specialized cameras though if the results are significantly better.
Old Nov 12, 2009, 05:55 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2004
7,056 Posts
Although the 720p does 60 fps it isn't HD at that speed. HD is only done at 30 fps. Personally I like the 60 fps video anyway. It captures motion better IMHO. The 720p is a much better suited AV camera than the GO HD.
randall1959 is offline Find More Posts by randall1959
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 12, 2009, 08:14 AM
Frogman
Stoughton, WI
Joined Jun 2009
1,702 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by randall1959 View Post
Although the 720p does 60 fps it isn't HD at that speed. HD is only done at 30 fps. Personally I like the 60 fps video anyway. It captures motion better IMHO. The 720p is a much better suited AV camera than the GO HD.
If I remember correctly the specs that define HD begin at 720p so the 720 60p setting is shooting HD but 1080p is considered "full" HD. 720p is HD and blown up on a 1080 TV very few people that aren't video geeks can tell the difference.

I'm looking for the perfect 720 60p cam that I can afford and when I find it I will be advertising HD video for my AV. Just haven't found it yet....or can't afford it yet.
Old Nov 12, 2009, 11:08 AM
Prop Buster Extraordinaire
Seattle
Joined Aug 2009
1,201 Posts
I've been looking at this product - it looks ideal for both AP/AV and biking. The web site says "pre-order" so you must have gotten a really early one. I look forward to hearing about your experiences with it.

And yes, 720p is considered HD, at any frame rate. How it looks at 1080p is more dependent on the amount of compression, color depth and other issues. My guess is it will look pretty good.
philba is offline Find More Posts by philba
Old Nov 12, 2009, 11:44 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2009
11,665 Posts
Thanks for sharing this device, looks promising.
rimshotcopter is online now Find More Posts by rimshotcopter
Old Nov 12, 2009, 04:20 PM
Joined Sep 2005
934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by philba View Post
I've been looking at this product - it looks ideal for both AP/AV and biking. The web site says "pre-order" so you must have gotten a really early one. I look forward to hearing about your experiences with it.

And yes, 720p is considered HD, at any frame rate. How it looks at 1080p is more dependent on the amount of compression, color depth and other issues. My guess is it will look pretty good.
They said at the booth they were just filling pre orders to dealers. The 400 they had a SEMA sold out and they were expecting to be out until December. That doesn't mean you can't get one, you will just need to find a dealer that got his pre order. I was told you can call Go Pro directly and they will help you find a stocking delaer or update on direct sales. The Go Pro people at the SEMA booth were very well informed about the product and I got the impression a lot of R&D went into this product. When you think about the add on gadget RCers have been buying to do AP its a very interesting product for the money. Remimber its not just HD Video with a killer wide angle lens its also a 5 Meg still camera that does timed photos and burst sets of photos.
Old Nov 12, 2009, 05:15 PM
FrankC
Ocala, Florida
Joined Jun 2007
499 Posts
This may be a dumb question, but what does something shot in 1080p look like on a 720p display? I'm going to guess it would still look OK. I ask because most of the hdtv's out there now are 720p, with 1080p coming down in price and becoming more popular.
Old Nov 12, 2009, 05:34 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2004
7,056 Posts
It's only going to look as good as the 720p will allow. I don't think you'll notice any difference unless you're viewing it on a 1080p screen.
randall1959 is offline Find More Posts by randall1959
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 12, 2009, 06:06 PM
Frogman
Stoughton, WI
Joined Jun 2009
1,702 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankC View Post
This may be a dumb question, but what does something shot in 1080p look like on a 720p display? I'm going to guess it would still look OK. I ask because most of the hdtv's out there now are 720p, with 1080p coming down in price and becoming more popular.
Guarantee you it will look better than SD does on your 720p display. It will still look great.
Old Nov 12, 2009, 06:47 PM
FrankC
Ocala, Florida
Joined Jun 2007
499 Posts
Thanks guys. I am still using an older tv because it still works fine, but I have been looking at 1080p televisions for my next one. Next question, how does the video from one of these cameras compare to the video from a digital camera? The camera I have in mind is a Panasonic LX3, it has some features I want on the still side of things but it also does 720p at 30fps. Has anyone got some comparison notes?
Old Nov 12, 2009, 08:59 PM
Frogman
Stoughton, WI
Joined Jun 2009
1,702 Posts
I can't compare it straight up. I know the LX3 does pretty good for a point and shoot camera taking video. Check the GoProHD site and view some sample HD videos. They look pretty amazing to me and there are a few like the Formula 1 race car video that would closely parallel some of the vibes and types of footage our AP/AV setups would give it.

Always remember a still camera is best for stills and a video camera is best for video. The 2 are getting much closer but the convergence hasn't happened yet. Having said that I just got a Canon 7D for my business strictly for it's amazing video capabilities. Do some searches on it and you will see what I mean. Unfortunately it is way too heavy to carry on my AP/AV plane. Oh how pretty it would be though.

It appears from the GoPro site that they have gone to extra lengths to do some technical things with their camera to make it pretty good for both jobs. The images are only 12mp but the ones on their site are pretty amazing for detail. I am thinking a GoProHD will be my camera for the plane when they are avaialable and get double duty for some of my more crazy video jobs that may need footage from a car or other places. That way it's a biz expense.