Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 26, 2009, 02:43 AM
The blade numbers go up to 11
Sydney, Australia
Joined Aug 2002
4,380 Posts
Wow, that's really cool, Dan! I envy guys like you, Kevin and Dan Savage who 1. can design and build models like this 2. actually have the time to design and build models like this.

BTW, why did the wax turn pink after the finishing cut?

Stu.
stumax is offline Find More Posts by stumax
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 26, 2009, 02:01 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Aug 2009
462 Posts
The lex looks good.
EDF Phantom - Kryptonic is offline Find More Posts by EDF Phantom - Kryptonic
Old Nov 26, 2009, 09:53 PM
United States, MO, St Charles
Joined Nov 2002
1,733 Posts
Quote:
BTW, why did the wax turn pink after the finishing cut?
Hi Stu,
Thanks. I thought it was a little dark in my shop so I changed the lighting for that 2nd shot. The incandesant light I added brought some redder tints to the scene which is what you're seeing as pink. I brewed this batch of machinable wax up all by my lonesome so I know there's no magic in it.

Dan Eaton
eatond is offline Find More Posts by eatond
Old Nov 28, 2009, 11:48 AM
2014 EDF JET JAM We be Jamming
St. Louis Intl, Missouri, United States
Joined Jan 1997
6,757 Posts
Nice work Dan!
Kevin Cox is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Cox
Old Nov 28, 2009, 07:55 PM
Williamsville, NY, USA
Joined Sep 2000
4,460 Posts
signing on. Nice work
Larry Dudeck is offline Find More Posts by Larry Dudeck
Old Dec 03, 2009, 06:25 PM
Joined Nov 2002
1,733 Posts
Been doing plenty of work but don't have much to show for it. I've been working on the plugs for the nose cone and canopy. The nose cone plugs are almost done. I have the front halfs of the canopy plug put together and will probably get the rear halfs machined tomorrow. My mill just isn't big enough to do it all at once.

The front end section is sheeeted as much as I can get done. The bottom part below the longerons will stay bare until I get the nose gear installed and tested.

Speaking of the nose gear I have started working on the end of the strut that holds the axle for the two wheels. Basically take a chunk of aluminum and carve away anything that doesn't look like it belongs.

Dan Eaton
Old Dec 03, 2009, 09:18 PM
Speed Demon
Antioch,CA,USA
Joined Dec 1999
12,297 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatond View Post
........Speaking of the nose gear I have started working on the end of the strut that holds the axle for the two wheels. Basically take a chunk of aluminum and carve away anything that doesn't look like it belongs.

Dan Eaton
She's looking great Dan! Going to be a real looker when done

BTW, I like your front gaer block. I did something similar for an F-4 nose and the mains on a BN Islander Twin prop.

The axle retaining is the the cleanest way to do it and not as tough as it looks.
GregG is online now Find More Posts by GregG
Old Dec 03, 2009, 09:36 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,529 Posts
Nice work dan ...wish i had a mill...and your cad skills
AIR SALLY is offline Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Dec 04, 2009, 05:52 PM
Joined Jan 1997
6,757 Posts
Looking good!
Old Dec 09, 2009, 02:45 PM
Joined Nov 2002
1,733 Posts
Quote:
BTW, I like your front gaer block. I did something similar for an F-4 nose and the mains on a BN Islander Twin prop.

The axle retaining is the the cleanest way to do it and not as tough as it looks.
Hi Greg,
Thanks. Yeah, I wish I had known about those clips a long time ago. It really saves a lot of weight compared to a couple of wheel collars. Somebody mentioned they got the clips at Lowes in another thread and sure enough, my Lowes had them too. To make the slot for the clip, I just chucked the axle in my drill press and used a fresh hack saw blade to cut the slot. That made it quick but you could do it by hand too.

I spent a lot of the weekend milling, turning, fileing and sawing on that little block. Took a lot longer than I expected but I finally got it done. Now I have to make the scissor links and the rest of the strut.

Dan Eaton
Old Dec 09, 2009, 03:01 PM
Joined Nov 2002
1,733 Posts
Quote:
Nice work dan ...wish i had a mill...and your cad skills
Hi Roger,
Thanks. I paid my dues on that mill for about five years after I got it. My wife grew up in a small town in upper Michigan and is pretty conservative when it comes to spending money. She gave me a lot of grief over the mill but I finally won her over by making sure any chance I had to do something on the mill or lath for her I took it. Might have been less work to build a Gingery mill and lath.

You wish you had my cad skills. I wish I had your fiberglass skills. Those ducts you made for Jeff were sweet. I'm working on it though. The other thing I spent the weekend doing was priming/sanding/repeat the nose cone plugs. No matter what I do I always seem to end up with something not quite right. Always a do over. I got them to the point now where at least there's nothing glaringly obvious wrong. I'm getting ready to pour some Hydrocal to make a pair of molds.

Dan Eaton
Old Dec 09, 2009, 04:51 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Aug 2009
462 Posts
Dan,

you going to make a hydraulic system for that nose wheel steering
EDF Phantom - Kryptonic is offline Find More Posts by EDF Phantom - Kryptonic
Old Dec 09, 2009, 04:59 PM
Joined Jan 1997
6,757 Posts
Nice Dan,
How much does it weigh?
Old Dec 09, 2009, 07:57 PM
Joined Nov 2002
1,733 Posts
Quote:
you going to make a hydraulic system for that nose wheel steering
Hi Gene,
nope, I'm building it in the hopes I'll need a little extra nose weight to hit the CG. Other wise, it'll probably be replaced by a silver soldered 'T' shaped piece of music wire. But it's all good, if it doesn't get used here the knowledge gained will be used shortly on a bigger and better project. Besides, a guy's gotta have a little fun.

Dan Eaton
Old Dec 09, 2009, 08:02 PM
My Lipo is Bigger than Yours!
Chesterfield,Missouri
Joined Sep 2003
495 Posts
Great looking build Dan,hope to see if fly when you get it finished!!!Kevin got me hooked on F-18's a few years back!
Joe
gjmjoe017 is offline Find More Posts by gjmjoe017
Last edited by gjmjoe017; Dec 10, 2009 at 08:36 AM.