SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 10, 2009, 11:25 AM
Keep Building Em
Hawthorne, Florida USA
Joined Jun 2006
933 Posts
Discussion
Ercoupe 1/6th scale

[This a Jack Stafford kit. It was a great kit to build but not one for the beginer as the plans and instructions are limited. The wood in the kit was excellant, free of any defects and a good density as far as hardness.
I spent about 1 1/2 months total building this one. The kit contained the canopy, abs Cowl of good quality and limited hardware such as the landing gear and control horns.
The wing spans is 64 inches and completed weight is 5.3 lbs. Power is a Magnum 4 stroke 52 and handles it with more than enough power. The plane is a pleasure to fly.

HAS ANYONE ELSE BUILT THIS KIT?

Video of maiden flight:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiqKilGHAFM
Build2fly is online now Find More Posts by Build2fly
Last edited by Build2fly; Nov 25, 2009 at 06:30 PM. Reason: Add question
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 10, 2009, 06:44 PM
D.G.B.
Southington, Connecticut, United States
Joined Jun 2000
2,952 Posts
Fred your coupe looks very nice.The video just makes it that much better.I want to build nick ziroli 80" version. Someday..........
KOMET44
KOMET 44 is offline Find More Posts by KOMET 44
Old Nov 10, 2009, 09:05 PM
Keep Building Em
Hawthorne, Florida USA
Joined Jun 2006
933 Posts
KOMET44
Thanks for the compliment. They are nice planes and there are still over 2500 of them around the country. By the way I am from Stratford but many years ago. Have a brother up there in Stratford who flys RC in Monroe and Trumble 2 different clubs there. You won't regret building a coupe and then you also can say I FLEW THE COUPE.
Thanks KOMET44

Fred
Old Nov 11, 2009, 06:38 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,923 Posts
Nice work on your 'Coupe !!! Looks good in the air, too.

While doing the scale research for my Jim Messer 1/4 scale version, I was fortunate to get a ride in a full size.

Maybe the BUSA kit is in my future.
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Nov 11, 2009, 06:48 AM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Fred,

Just an amazing project and super flying model!

I wished I had your modeling skill.
guapoman2000 is offline Find More Posts by guapoman2000
Old Nov 11, 2009, 04:46 PM
Keep Building Em
Hawthorne, Florida USA
Joined Jun 2006
933 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by guapoman2000 View Post
Fred,

Just an amazing project and super flying model!

I wished I had your modeling skill.
Thanks Carlos.
I enjoy that part of the hobby about as much as I enjoy flying them. It is fun to take a box of balsa and wood and end up with a plane that flys great.
When are you making a another trip up to the field Carlos ?
weather is getting better now that it is cooler.

Tom thanks for your coments on the Coupe. I think the balsa USA kit is very nice but a little big and very pricecy for me. There is a video and a build log on the balsa USA 1/3 scale coupe on RC groups here. You might look for it.

Thanks Guys
Fred
Old Nov 12, 2009, 05:47 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,923 Posts
Thanks, Fred.

I have enough on my plate, for now.

I'm building a 1/4 Hostetler Cessna 195, and have a Bates 1/4 Spartan Executive in mind, next. Maybe, after that, I can build another 'Coupe.
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Nov 12, 2009, 01:21 PM
Jets are for kids-of all ages
Florida, USA
Joined Jun 2008
2,892 Posts
Well deserved compliments on that Ercoupe, great modelling subject and great model. Look forward to seeing more of this one.
mullinspsm is offline Find More Posts by mullinspsm
Old Nov 12, 2009, 02:40 PM
USA, FL, St Augustine
Joined Dec 2008
50 Posts
Build2fly:

Awesome model!!! I have two questions. Where can the kit be bought? Who is the guitarist in the video?

Bill Hodges
clpahodges is offline Find More Posts by clpahodges
Old Nov 12, 2009, 05:30 PM
Keep Building Em
Hawthorne, Florida USA
Joined Jun 2006
933 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by clpahodges View Post
Build2fly:

Awesome model!!! I have two questions. Where can the kit be bought? Who is the guitarist in the video?

Bill Hodges
Thanks Bill.
As to the model and where you can buy it here is the email address for them.

It is LeisureRC models. LeisureRcModels@aol.com
They produce several kits but only a few at a time so check and see when the next coupes will be out.
As to the Guitar player in the video I don't know the video was done by a member of our club. I can check with him.
There product is great and the service is also good.

Fred
Old Nov 12, 2009, 07:33 PM
Jets are for kids-of all ages
Florida, USA
Joined Jun 2008
2,892 Posts
Quote:
Build2fly:

Bill Hodges

Well as the Videographer and sound supplier. It is "Eric Johnson" and a song called "Steve's Boogie" He is a very good and unique guitar player. Just plug in that name into YouTube and he has scoddles of stuff on line. This is his early CD called "Ah Via Musicom", a song called "Cliffs of Dover" is another of his great instrumentals.

Roger
mullinspsm is offline Find More Posts by mullinspsm
Last edited by mullinspsm; Nov 12, 2009 at 07:38 PM.
Old Nov 14, 2009, 01:53 PM
USA, FL, St Augustine
Joined Dec 2008
50 Posts
Thanks Build2fly and mullinspsm. I love the Ercoupe and good guitar. Just sent an email about the Ercoupe and downloaded some of Eric's music from I-Tunes.

I just noticed where you guys are from. I am just across the river in St. Augustine. Where do you fly? I am mostly a control line stunt flyer, but I also fly RC sport. My club is the X47 Flyers. Currently flying a good old Sig Kavalier and a 46 size Tucano. Pretty sure I am going to order one of the Ercoupes.

Bill Hodges
Last edited by clpahodges; Nov 14, 2009 at 02:39 PM.
Old Nov 14, 2009, 08:08 PM
Keep Building Em
Hawthorne, Florida USA
Joined Jun 2006
933 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Build2fly and mullinspsm. I love the Ercoupe and good guitar. Just sent an email about the Ercoupe and downloaded some of Eric's music from I-Tunes.

I just noticed where you guys are from. I am just across the river in St. Augustine. Where do you fly? I am mostly a control line stunt flyer, but I also fly RC sport. My club is the X47 Flyers. Currently flying a good old Sig Kavalier and a 46 size Tucano. Pretty sure I am going to order one of the Ercoupes.

Bill Hodges
Bill
Well small world isn't it. We fly at the Keystone Heights Airpark. They have an abandoned runway on the west side of the airfield which they don't use and is closed off. The club leases the area and we have both a short paved runway and grass runway. Here is the club Web site Link. Take a look and see what you think would love to have you come over some time and fly. Since we are on airport property there is a security coded gate so look me up on the Web site under contact us and get in touch. I am the President.

http://www.cloudbustersrc.com/ The club is the Keystone Cloudbusters.

Fred
Old Nov 15, 2009, 05:31 PM
USA, FL, St Augustine
Joined Dec 2008
50 Posts
Fred:

I would love to come over and fly with you and your club. I enjoy meeting other flyers and flying at new fields.

I will get in touch with you and set something up.

Bill