HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 10, 2009, 02:33 AM
Escondido, California
Joined Apr 2007
925 Posts
Rave
Mato Sherman, M4A1 (76) EL MOD F.O. Pics & Video

Here are some of its features,

Proportional drive & diesel engine sounds, cannon sound (needs amplification) machine gun sounds.
2 speakers connected to the 10-watt Blaster III unit

Headlights can turn on/off with the radio, working brake lights, optional but not connected a spot light, and a second MG led.

Heng long recoil, with my dual LED supper Flash.

Asiatam gearbox instlled all else the new Mato Sherman.

No screws to hold the hull down, magnets.

I installed the Asiatam gearbox, and I had to cut some of the side brackets to stack them as tight as possible I even shaved off some of the ends of the drive axles so they could butt as close together as possible! The nice thing is that you almost cannot mess up the alignment because the gearbox will not fit, they have to be perfectly aligned side by side to work! I did have to cut a 1-inch square out of the engine cover to allow top box to fit correctly! But most of us thought that the shape was odd. To cover the hole, I snagged some gear from my Century 21 halftrack and use that to cover the hole, and then put a cargo net on it!

The recoil system is a $ 16.00 Heng long recoil unit,, I wired it up just as you would wire up your airsoft gun! The EL MOD signal just pops it like it is an airsoft gun, no special micro switch’s just positive and negative connections! I did stretch the spring some to slow down the recoil but as you can hear by the video, it still kind of snappy, but I think I can improve on that, and hey its cheap and easy to install! For some reason I did not get pictures of this part of the install, but the head or front of the unit is the correct shape and lines up with the barrel hole that the airsoft unit used! Now you need to set this back about ¾ to 1 inch, to clear the bottom of the turret, and you still may need to cut some of that out to let the recoil motor clear when elevating!

El Mod fits in there real nice, and I thought this was going to be a supper clean build until I started wiring up all the lighting options. I’ll go back and try to clean if up,, but like Viper said I did do this all in about 3 days, I thought I would get it done in about 2 ½ but the dang turret itself took about 8 hours! I used the P-III elevation unit for the elevation, so that took a while to line up,, you may not have to do this, but I did not want to get the turret all completed and find out that the new Mato version would not pick up the signal for EL Mod. El Mod has designed their system to convert Heng long tanks! And the new Mato elevation is right stick up for up,,, and right stick down for down. No charge port yet and forgot to move the power switch to one of the hatches but I got the volume knob up in the left hatch! Check it out………………

MATO SHERMAN with EL MOD (5 min 10 sec)

The Blitz
Blitzkrieg65 is offline Find More Posts by Blitzkrieg65
Last edited by Blitzkrieg65; Nov 10, 2009 at 02:34 AM. Reason: Fixing Spacing
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 10, 2009, 09:23 AM
Joined Sep 2009
188 Posts
TO COOL; Blitz thats great man. Looks good. Sounds great. How do you like the Serman? what do you think of the paint finish? I was thinking of painting it a flat olive drap. I get mine tomarrow. Any tips on braking in? Can't wait WEEEEEEEYAAAAAAA!!!!

Good Deal., Duca.........
duca is offline Find More Posts by duca
Old Nov 10, 2009, 01:38 PM
Dave Dash
Chas. SC
Joined Apr 2009
141 Posts
Oh Blitz...what a life you lead!!! Need prices on this conversion. This looks like all I would want on a tank and you did it on the Sherman!!!!
Hello Santa!!!
Loved the video and good job on tank. Sounds like it is shifting gears when going to idle. Love it.
Be well
David
Dash69 is offline Find More Posts by Dash69
Old Nov 12, 2009, 03:14 PM
Joined Aug 2008
161 Posts
That looks real good Blitz. Sounds good too. The engine sound seems to match the speed of the gearboxes pretty well.

Looks like it actually has some usable torque as well.

Did you "massage" the suspension at all? Or is that a good approximation of out-of-the-box performance?

Excellent little tanking area too!

BTW, I finally fixed the Bulldog. Easy fix, just a loose wire. Took her out for a spin last weekend and she's back to fighting trim.

Now I'm wanting one of these Shermans though. They've always been a favorite of mine, and now there's a much more affordable alternative to a Tamiya...
BigMike13 is offline Find More Posts by BigMike13
Old Nov 12, 2009, 03:25 PM
Joined Aug 2008
161 Posts
Tight fit for the gearboxes huh?

You seldom see a WWII era pic of a Sherman that doesn't have sandbags or extra track links or something piled across the front to bolster their thinner armor against the 88's.

Nice solution to a fitment issue there. I'd never have guessed the extra stowage is actually covering a hole in the hull, unless you told us...
BigMike13 is offline Find More Posts by BigMike13
Old Nov 12, 2009, 05:47 PM
Escondido, California
Joined Apr 2007
925 Posts
Thanks guys!

And Mike the suspensions and tracks are just how you get them right out of the box! I took one bogie apart to and thought about doing the mod to make it fully functional. But I knew that I would not have had the tank ready for the IR battle if I did all 6 bogies, so I thought lets just try it like this,, and it runs great! Ya its not a real functioning VVSS but as you can see it works very well and man that thing grips the road, I think my P-III and other tanks may have slid down the ridge if I went over as far as I did with the Sherman!

The Blitz
Blitzkrieg65 is offline Find More Posts by Blitzkrieg65
Last edited by Blitzkrieg65; Nov 12, 2009 at 05:48 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Nov 13, 2009, 06:24 AM
Dongskie
Philippines, NCR, Mandaluyong City
Joined Jul 2007
1,100 Posts
Looks like the stock electronics are all new but useless huh?

I love the video Blitz!
Dongskie is offline Find More Posts by Dongskie
Old Nov 13, 2009, 08:59 AM
Joined Sep 2009
188 Posts
Whats a Bogie? Is it the wheel Ass.?

Duca............
Old Nov 13, 2009, 11:15 AM
Dana Point, CA
Joined Oct 2005
96 Posts
A bogie is the wheel assembly - in this case the two wheels, arms, main body, and return roller on the top. Most Shermans had this type of bogie, the VVSS - Vertical Volute Spring Suspension with the narrow track and two external guide horns. The Tamiya Sherman uses the later HVSS - Horizontal Volute Spring Suspension. The HVSS, along with a wider track (single center guide horn), provided and improved ride and better flotation, but didn't come out till late in the war. If you wanted to accurately model an early or mid war Sherman you needed the VVSS. While not perfect, the Mato is a big step forward.
Hounddog is offline Find More Posts by Hounddog
Old Nov 13, 2009, 12:19 PM
Joined Sep 2009
188 Posts
cool man thanks for conferming that.

Duca,............
Old Nov 13, 2009, 06:40 PM
Central Missouri,USA Along the banks of the Missouri River
Joined Jun 2005
1,734 Posts
Blitz, looks like you removed the outer plastic barrel, was that very difficult? Where can I get the blaster III and speakers? How much are they?
tim slocum is offline Find More Posts by tim slocum
Old Nov 13, 2009, 08:15 PM
Dongskie
Philippines, NCR, Mandaluyong City
Joined Jul 2007
1,100 Posts
@Blitz: Is it possible to install the pershing tracks into the Sherman? I've seen other Sherman with wider tracks similar to the pershing,..
Dongskie is offline Find More Posts by Dongskie
Old Nov 14, 2009, 04:46 AM
Joined Jan 2009
41 Posts
Get a Tamiya M4 if you want wider tracks with the HVSS suspension. The reason we built this one is that it best represents the majority of the Shermans that fought worldwide, the VVSS suspension that is.

In the near future, an all metal upgrade track will be released with Extended End Connectors which provide increased flotation in soft terrain.
swathdiver is offline Find More Posts by swathdiver
Old Dec 16, 2009, 09:16 AM
Joined Dec 2009
2 Posts
Question

Hey,

I bought this same tank through Orvis, for my son. It is very cool, but here is the thing, we have charged and put in batteries so it will be fully operational on the big day, everything works, fires bbs, turrent moves properly, lights, everything..... except it won't move forward or back or turn. There is no troubleshooting section in the booklet and the website for the maker Mato Toys is under repair. Orvis is sold out! So, can anyone help a lady in distress?
Jessica Rabbit is offline Find More Posts by Jessica Rabbit
Last edited by Jessica Rabbit; Dec 16, 2009 at 09:30 AM.
Old Dec 16, 2009, 10:32 AM
Joined Sep 2009
188 Posts
Should have gone to RCTankWars.com. Phil is the man. You would not have had this problem. Maybe RCTankwars could have one out before Christmas and you can send that one back........................
Duca