SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 10, 2009, 01:20 AM
Studying Engineer
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Jun 2009
685 Posts
Discussion
Rewinding brushed motors???

Does anyone know of kit or some company that can rewind motors? Normaly i would just buy a new one but this one is vintage. Its a Cobalt 05 Marine racing motor 18-magnet 8-pole. I'm prety sure it was abused before i got it but i sure finished it off after one run. It's a very nice motor that has some historical value so if it can be restored it would realy be nice. Thanks for any help.

It might also be interesting to wind my own custom motors in the future, if possible .
MarcRacer18 is offline Find More Posts by MarcRacer18
Last edited by MarcRacer18; Nov 10, 2009 at 01:45 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 10, 2009, 05:19 AM
Joined Aug 2009
33 Posts
Sounds like a great chance to learn something, get in there and DIY!

Seriously, take it apart and check the commutator and windings. If the windings are burnt you can probably still figure out the winding pattern. If the comm is too bad it's not worth messing with.

Good Luck!
Beaverdam is offline Find More Posts by Beaverdam
Old Nov 10, 2009, 07:41 AM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,703 Posts
its not hard to rewind a brushed motor: the tricky bit is soldering to the commutator.
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1
Old Nov 10, 2009, 11:59 AM
kit
USA
Joined Oct 2001
695 Posts
Back in the 60's we rewound dozens of brushed slot-car motors. Not really hard to do. Back then there was no internet, yet we all learned how to do it. You may want to do a google search to see if there is any info on slot-car motor rewinding to see if it was ever posted on the net.
kit is offline Find More Posts by kit
Old Nov 10, 2009, 07:51 PM
Studying Engineer
Joined Jun 2009
685 Posts
I have inspected the comuntator and amerture and have concluded that one of the electro-magnets has a short in it. One of the wires has completely melted down to the bare meltal and i know that more internal damage awaits whenever(if ever) it is unspun. I also have tested it without load and found it gets hot. I know from expirence when a motor is bad. But i don't know where, or even if i can find a DIY kit. You know the wire, maybe some amertures..Etc. If i found the right stuff i would do it in a heartbeat
Old Nov 11, 2009, 11:14 PM
Studying Engineer
Joined Jun 2009
685 Posts
Well did some hard time searching online, Found a thread on "RcCrawlers"(i think). It showed how to undo and redo the winds, some real good info there.
So I tried taking apart a couple of my old motors. the hardest part was getting the wire of the com so i need to find a better way before i do it on the big one. I'll try and get some wire from radioshack, or the hardware store. Heres some pics:
Old Nov 11, 2009, 11:48 PM
hass-alfed and bass-ackwards
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Jun 2008
5,308 Posts
RC car action used to have whole "rewinding"/motor issues in the late 80's and early nineties. That info has got to still be out there, somewhere.
carlsoti is offline Find More Posts by carlsoti
Old Nov 12, 2009, 04:21 AM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,703 Posts
shame you are so far away. I've got several Astro 05 rotors here.
Old Nov 12, 2009, 09:56 AM
Scratch builder
USA, PA, Telford
Joined Apr 2004
1,347 Posts
Can't Astro Flight help? They are in California just like you. They might have a replacement armature or know of a distributor who does.

Vin is correct when he says the hard part is re connecting to the comm tangs. High temp. solder is likely not to be good enough. You really need a tang fusing machine. Astro has them.

If you just want to tinker with it, the armature is wound with 5 turns of #18 wire. Don't bother with the hardware store or Radio Shack. They don't have what you need. Many brushless guys have the right wire. Mark the tangs and slots with numbers before you unwind it. Write down the path the wire takes when you unwind so you'll know how to get it back on. Pry up each tang with a hobby knife after wiggling it between the joint to loosen the weld. All of this is moot because of the re connection problem, not to mention the loss of balance when you remove the putty.

Oh, BTW, it is a two pole motor. The multiple magnets are all N on one side and all S on the other. It was cheaper for Astro to use off the shelf magnets than to tool up a custom Sm Co magnet.
KenSt is offline Find More Posts by KenSt
Old Nov 12, 2009, 09:37 PM
Studying Engineer
Joined Jun 2009
685 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenSt View Post
Oh, BTW, it is a two pole motor. The multiple magnets are all N on one side and all S on the other. It was cheaper for Astro to use off the shelf magnets than to tool up a custom Sm Co magnet.
I was refering to the armature poles but yes, you are correct on the can part anyway.

I sent AstroFlight an email, Asking if they could help me in any way. For some reason i thought Astro had gone out of business. Must have been a bad search before...

Astro flight no longer makes any 05 motors, or any marine racing motors for that fact. Found some other replacement parts though. Still waiting for their reply.

A little history on the motor:
In 1998 It made and broke the first official rc FE Speed record on water. Going Aprox. 58mph and then a little later 60, it held the title until more advanced technology was created. To this day it is still the worlds fastest brushed motor on record. Brushless was just the new kid on the curb when this was retired. Don't make 'em like they used to.
- I base this off of a article i read a few years back, so if i have some wrong info...
Old Nov 13, 2009, 07:12 AM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,703 Posts
well let me know what you need. I bought bumper bundle of 05 spares off someone cheapish.

Wont ever get to use them all. I don't run these things to the limit anyway. Mine should never need more than brushes and bearings.
Old Nov 13, 2009, 05:15 PM
Studying Engineer
Joined Jun 2009
685 Posts
Realy, do you have the same motor as me? If you do i would be interested. This motor came with an mrp tunnel that i restored, but after the motor gave out i went to brushless. If i could get the motor working again then it could go back to original (owner) power.

I still havn't found any good wire online that would work. I found what looked like the right stuff but they want $550 per pound(300ft+) of wire. I don't have the budjet nor think their prices are resonable. Talked to some local people, and got a tip to check out JamCoe. Still looking through to find something. This site looks promising:

http://www.mwswire.com/?gclid=CKqrlr...FShSagod-WyapA
Old Nov 13, 2009, 05:24 PM
Michigan
Joined Aug 2004
765 Posts
How about?
http://www.bulkwire.com/product.asp?...589&CtgID=6578
IloveFLIGHT! is offline Find More Posts by IloveFLIGHT!
Old Nov 13, 2009, 06:11 PM
Studying Engineer
Joined Jun 2009
685 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveFLIGHT! View Post
That looks like just the stuff i've been looking for! Thanks for the link!
Old Nov 14, 2009, 05:24 AM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,703 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcRacer18 View Post
Realy, do you have the same motor as me? If you do i would be interested. This motor came with an mrp tunnel that i restored, but after the motor gave out i went to brushless. If i could get the motor working again then it could go back to original (owner) power.
Well its Astro 05 armatures I have. EX air unit, but they would be the same probably.

One is brand new in packing.

Different winds.

7C/20
11C/21 1/2
cant figure the markings on another two

The brand new one says 6C/19.
Even got a price on it!

Oh, the sun came out. Can now faintly read markings. One of the others is another 6C/19 and the other looks like 1C/30, but that doesn't sound right. I think you probably have a race motor there..I'll see if I have any strippable ones of that ilk. But the 6C/19 is very close I'd say.

These would have been $50 spare parts, more or less.

My guess is the guy I bought the job lot off was flying competition gliders, and pulled a load of special winds off Astro and tried them all.

None of them look in anyway burnt out, but the commutators are definitely used on the four at the front. They all look balanced with lumps of something on them

I'd need to cover postage to the States at least.

Or maybe we could deal. I need a load of Astro zero loss connectors, and the way ASTRO ships them costs and arm and a leg and customs and excise and VAT and a handling fee, and they still take 6 weeks to arrive....

Anyway, I wouldn't fancy rewinding one. Very narrow slots. I've actually got enough spares to build 3-4 complete motors..
Last edited by vintage1; Nov 14, 2009 at 05:41 AM.