Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Closed Thread
Old Nov 09, 2009, 10:48 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
7,880 Posts
New Product
Charge Multiple Lipolys At The Same Time On A Single Charger

For those who want to get maximum usage out of their chargers and understand the virtues and principles of charging multiple lipolys in parallel on a single charger but don’t have the time or inclination to make your own charge harnesses, this is for you…

After getting quite a few requests to build parallel charge adapters, I decided to brew up a few extra and am offering them up for sale.

These adapters are unique in that they connect to your charger in the same way that your batteries connect. Your packs then simply connect to the adapter via the balance taps and charge away. When using a good quality balancing charger and healthy packs, all packs will be fully charged and perfectly balanced. Just need to make sure that packs have the same cell count, are healthy, have good balance taps, and are within a few tenths of a volt (.1V/cell) of each other before connecting. All adapters use JST-XH balance connectors. Packs with other tap styles will easily work with appropriate converter adapters. Deans style T-plugs are pre-installed so adapters are ready to use. Also have APP's (Sermos), XT60's, and EC3's if you prefer them.

The 11 x 2S adapters have been run at 20 amps and balance charged 11 packs in less than a half hour.

Adapters can be run at up to 2.5 amps per pack. Connect 4 packs and you can charge at up to 10 amps. 2 packs, 5 amps. You get the idea. Can also be used at much higher currents if the main discharge leads are also connected in parallel to the charge output of your charger.

Also have some adapters without main charge lead. These may be used to provide balancing in conjunction with parallel charge lead adapters for high current operation and may also be used with chargers that charge exclusively though the balance taps (Cellpro 4, etc.).

High current adapters with T-Plugs can be used up to the limits of any charger on the market (iCharger 3010 and FMA PL8 is no problem). Also come with silicone caps to cover unused T-plugs when charging less than 4 packs.

Photos below of the various types that I have available.

Pricing and quantity on hand as follows:
4 x 2S: $15 (4 left)
6 x 2S: $17 (0 left)
11 x 2S: $20 (0 left) <-- my personal favorite for balance charging a pile of small 2S packs.
4 x 3S: $16 (8 left)
6 x 3S: $18 (3 left)
4 x 3S (w/o charge lead): $12 (2 left)
6 x 3S (w/o charge lead): $14 (2 left)
4 x T-Plug: $14 (0 left)
6 x T-Plug: $17 (0 left)
4 x 3S High Current w/T-Plugs: $25 (0 left)
4 x Combo 3S/4S High Current w/T-Plugs: $27 (2 left)

Shipping to anywhere in US is $3. Payment may be made by Paypal, cash, personal check, or money order.

Shoot me a PM or post to this thread if you’re interested. If there's something that you want but don't see, let me know and I can likely make you a custom one.

All adapters are ruggedly hand built by myself to provide many years of troublefree service.

Mark
mrforsyth is online now Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by mrforsyth; Mar 18, 2011 at 03:07 PM. Reason: Updated qty remaining.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 14, 2009, 02:03 PM
That's a funny word
NE Ohio
Joined Apr 2003
3,686 Posts
What is the max current you like putting thu the individual taps?
gulio is offline Find More Posts by gulio
Old Nov 14, 2009, 02:22 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
7,880 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulio View Post
What is the max current you like putting thu the individual taps?
On the 2S adapters I've gone up to 4 amps per pack when using a balancing charger. Theoretically, this would allow the 4 x 2S to charge at up to 16 amps, the 6 x 2S at up to 24 amps, and a whopping 44 amps for the 11 x 2S (if such a charger existed). The 11 x 2S has been used dozens of times at the full 20 amp output of an iCharger 208B with nothing but perfect performance.

On the 3S adapters I typically don't go over 2.5 amps per pack when using a balancing charger due to voltage drop creating unnecessary balancing. One can go up to 4 amps per pack but the balancer will have to work a little more. It helps if the balancer circuitry only engages during CV mode (iCharger).

Mark
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by mrforsyth; Aug 27, 2010 at 10:58 AM. Reason: clarification
Old Dec 06, 2009, 04:36 PM
United States, IL, Carbondale
Joined Jun 2005
443 Posts
Mark,

With my triton+equinox, there was a lot of discussion about needing to modify the equinox so that charging happened through the main leads and not just through the balance taps.

From watching my (unmodified) equinox setup, there is balancing going on almost during the entire charging time, and it takes quite a bit longer to charge the packs.

I'm looking for a replacement charging setup, and am considering the iCharger 106B+ with your boards but have a question.

Is there a downside to using one of your boards with integrated deans+balance vs. using a balance only board + a separate deans board?

Balance charging is addictive, I'm doing my small 2S and 3S packs in parallel on my triton (but unfortunately limited to 2.5A total because of the Triton's limitations) and now want to be able to charge ALL my packs at once Hence the need to upgrade

Thanks,

Berardino
baratta930 is offline Find More Posts by baratta930
Old Dec 06, 2009, 04:39 PM
Joined Jun 2005
443 Posts
One more question, have you though about building a board that has both balance taps and Deans taps on it for higher amperage charging (i.e. 2C or more).

Also you should sell caps for the deans board so that any plugs that are unused aren't at risk for shorting out.

Thanks,

Berardino
Old Dec 06, 2009, 05:07 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
7,880 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by baratta930 View Post
Is there a downside to using one of your boards with integrated deans+balance vs. using a balance only board + a separate deans board?
Only downside is that current should be limited to ~2.5A per pack as the balance taps obviously cannot accommodate the same current as the main discharge lead. Works really well with all balance chargers but chargers that balance only during CV phase (iCharger) will be a little faster.

Quote:
One more question, have you though about building a board that has both balance taps and Deans taps on it for higher amperage charging (i.e. 2C or more).
I have made a few of these for friends. Photo below of a high current parallel adapter that can balance charge 4 packs at time. Will work up to the limits of any charger on the market (20+ amps is no problem at all). I make these custom when requested. PM me if interested.

Quote:
Also you should sell caps for the deans board so that any plugs that are unused aren't at risk for shorting out.
Plan on getting some of the protector caps and offering them as soon as I can identify a source to purchase them in bulk.

Mark
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 06, 2009, 08:14 PM
Joined Jun 2005
443 Posts
Nice I think that's what I'll get once I pick up my icharger. I'll give you a shout once i've ordered the charger (it'll be a few weeks).

If you need to custom build a board, how long do you typically need?

thnx

Berardino
Old Dec 06, 2009, 09:36 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
7,880 Posts
Ok, sounds good.

As far as building a custom board goes - it usually takes no more than a few days to assemble and coat depending on the level of complexity and whether I have the correct parts on hand.

In the meantime, I'll track down and order some of the protector caps so I'll have them available.

Mark
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by mrforsyth; Dec 06, 2009 at 09:54 PM.
Old Dec 07, 2009, 04:37 PM
Joined Apr 2009
58 Posts
Help me understand this a little more, if you can please. Most of my EE has leaked out over the last 30 years of minimal usage.

I have a FMA Mult4 charger. Since it uses the balance connector to charge, and I only have 3 cell packs, I could connect a 4x3s without charge lead? Right so far?
I would connect the parallel charge adapter to the FMA adapter board like it was one battery.

So how is the charge current going to work on this?
I think the charger is good for 4 or 5 amps.
If I let it auto detect, then it will see one high capacity and go to max amps, I assume?

~4 amps, into 4 cells is < 1/2 C charge rate. Would that equate to 4 2200 mah batteries charged in about 2.5 hours?

Am I anywhere close to understanding this?

How about pack capacity.
Should the all be nearly the same mah rating?
How about individule pack charge?
Looks like hooking up in parrallel, they would equalize with each other just by being connected to the adapter board?

Again, sorry if my questions are too basic. I did read seveal post about parallel charging, but the bulb hasn't lite yet.

I take it that if I desire to charge at a 1C rating, I would need a charger that uses the discharge leads too?
Is there any real individual cell balancing going on in a setup like this?

Thanks again!!
Quisp is offline Find More Posts by Quisp
Old Dec 07, 2009, 04:51 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
7,880 Posts
Your understanding is pretty much correct. Your charger will see all packs that are connected in parallel as a single larger pack. Since they're all in parallel, all will be fully charged and balanced by your Cellpro.

All packs should be roughly the same charge state prior to connecting. .1V / cell is sufficient (.3V for 3S packs). This keeps current flow after initial connection to very acceptable levels. Pack capacity, usage history, and 'C' rating do not matter. I routinely charge 5000mAh packs in parallel with 2100mAh packs. Obviously, all packs to be charged in parallel should be in good health.

If charging at greater than 2.5A per pack, connecting the main discharge leads is recommended.

Mark
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 07, 2009, 05:39 PM
Joined Apr 2009
58 Posts
OK, this is where my basics are really failing me:
Pack capacity, usage history, and 'C' rating do not matter. I routinely charge 5000mAh packs in parallel with 2100mAh packs.

Isn't the 5000mAh going to slow the process down a lot?
Quisp is offline Find More Posts by Quisp
Old Dec 07, 2009, 07:37 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
7,880 Posts
Quote:
Isn't the 5000mAh going to slow the process down a lot?
Not at all. If charging at 1C, a 5000mAh pack in parallel with a 2100mAh pack would be charged at 7.1 amps. As my chargers will do 10 amps, it actually cuts the time in half since the packs are charging together rather than sequentially.

Charging in parallel typically saves a significant amount of time as you can avoid swapping packs every hour and can make use of the full current output of your charger.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 07, 2009, 08:23 PM
United States, OR, Beaverton
Joined Feb 2008
1,976 Posts
The caveat here being that you can't guarantee that the current is being split 5A to the 5000mAh pack and 2.1A to the 2100mAh pack. But if you took the time to measure the current flow I think you'd find it is close enough. Parallel is the way to go.
SteveM732 is offline Find More Posts by SteveM732
Old Dec 13, 2009, 08:22 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
7,880 Posts
Parallel T-Plug adapters now come with molded silicone protector caps to limit the risk of shorting when charging fewer packs. Thanks Berardino for the idea!

Mark
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 18, 2009, 02:37 AM
Joined Dec 2009
2 Posts
pm sent!
indymodz is offline Find More Posts by indymodz
Closed Thread