SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 09, 2009, 10:56 PM
You're good!
United States, VA, White Stone
Joined Jun 2005
6,894 Posts
Discussion
TX Neck Strap Adapter?

I'm looking for a neck strap adapter that changes the CoG of spread spectrum radios so they will balance correctly. I have a Futaba 12FGA, if that matters. Thanks.
Safety Hawk is offline Find More Posts by Safety Hawk
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 10, 2009, 01:51 AM
Joined Aug 2002
5,811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety Hawk View Post
I'm looking for a neck strap adapter that changes the CoG of spread spectrum radios so they will balance correctly. I have a Futaba 12FGA, if that matters. Thanks.
Examples:
Transmitter Balancer "The Transmitter Balancer was designed and precision CNC machined for pilots who utilize a neck strap to stabilize/balance their transmitter during flight operations. The Futaba 12Z and 14MZ originally designed for use with the 72MHz systems now has the FASST 2.4 GHz system modules available. This creates an imbalance due to the shorter antenna length and change in the CG (Center of Gravity). The Transmitter Balancer is adjustable to get the correct balance for your flying style. The Transmitter Balancer will also work with the Futaba 10C, Futaba 7C, Futaba 9C, JR9303, Jr 10X, JR12X, SpektrumDX6 and DX7 transmitters and possibly others."
Transmitter Balancer 2.4 (G-Force)
Seacraft Transmitter Balancer - Colour anodised in Dark Blue, Light Blue or Red.
Spektrum Neck Strap Adapter
RC Transmitter Balancer - Video

Regards
Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links
A.T. is offline Find More Posts by A.T.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 07:17 AM
Piro-maniac
Aiken, SC
Joined Feb 2007
1,262 Posts
$2 from WallyWorld. You can pretend it's CNC and cost $20 if it makes you feel better. Looks ghetto. Works perfectly.
shizack is offline Find More Posts by shizack
Old Nov 10, 2009, 08:50 AM
My name is Tom
Italy, Emilia-Romagna, Misano Adriatico
Joined Aug 2009
901 Posts
Good thinking.
I'm gonna try this on my Futaba T7C, already loaded the inside top with lead but not enough.
Tommygunn is online now Find More Posts by Tommygunn
Old Nov 10, 2009, 09:49 AM
You're good!
Joined Jun 2005
6,894 Posts
Thanks for the Ideas.

A.T., the first one you linked to looks to be the one I need. Thanks.

Shizack....that's a really good idea....however the hook on my transmitter runs vertical, not horizontal. Looks like it works good for the DX7 though. Thanks.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 11:31 AM
My name is Tom
Italy, Emilia-Romagna, Misano Adriatico
Joined Aug 2009
901 Posts
Safety,
It might be possible to strip your TX down, undo the nut that holds the neck strap swivel and rotate it 90 and re-tighten.
Tommygunn is online now Find More Posts by Tommygunn
Old Nov 10, 2009, 12:06 PM
You're good!
Joined Jun 2005
6,894 Posts
It's all good......I went and ordered the one that A.T. had linked to. Should do the trick.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 01:18 PM
Electric Airplane Junkie
United States, CA, San Mateo
Joined Jun 2000
5,597 Posts
Put the 72 MHz back on and extends it!! CG is correct! Cost: ZERO.

Brian, an EAJ
bhchan is offline Find More Posts by bhchan
Old Nov 10, 2009, 02:29 PM
You're good!
Joined Jun 2005
6,894 Posts
It's funny you should say that because my radio came with only the FASST module....and I emailed Futaba about getting a 72mhz module and antenna, and it cost:

HSP78899 72MHZ RF MODUL 14MZ for $99.99
HSP79555 TX ANTENNA FAI10 for $15.92
Shipping $ 9.99
Total $125.90

Definitely not free, but I still might do it though just to have.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 02:44 PM
The Northeast Kingdom, Vermont
Joined Jun 2004
5,285 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shizack View Post
$2 from WallyWorld. You can pretend it's CNC and cost $20 if it makes you feel better. Looks ghetto. Works perfectly.
Is that how far you have to move the CG to get it to balance
I'd be concerned about the amount of stress you're putting on the mount. That's a lot of leverage there
Pete
pilotpete2 is offline Find More Posts by pilotpete2
Old Nov 10, 2009, 04:30 PM
Piro-maniac
Aiken, SC
Joined Feb 2007
1,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotpete2 View Post
Is that how far you have to move the CG to get it to balance
I'd be concerned about the amount of stress you're putting on the mount. That's a lot of leverage there
Pete
I like a little forward tilt in my transmitters. Much more comfortable for my old "bass- player" wrists.

I look at the original eye hook and check the case frequently for signs of stress, but nothing yet. I don't rest my hands heavily on top of the TX and it's kind of supported by my pinkies underneath.

If the strap broke (unlikely; it's a padded saxophone strap designed for a MUCH heavier device) the TX wouldn't fall, but the heli might. Besides, the TX isn't THAT heavy to begin with.
shizack is offline Find More Posts by shizack
Old Nov 10, 2009, 05:37 PM
Electric Airplane Junkie
United States, CA, San Mateo
Joined Jun 2000
5,597 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety Hawk View Post
It's funny you should say that because my radio came with only the FASST module....and I emailed Futaba about getting a 72mhz module and antenna, and it cost:

HSP78899 72MHZ RF MODUL 14MZ for $99.99
HSP79555 TX ANTENNA FAI10 for $15.92
Shipping $ 9.99
Total $125.90

Definitely not free, but I still might do it though just to have.
No, I just say the antenna, not the 72MHz module. The 12FG I brought was a 72 MHz version and I bought the TM-14 module. So I have the original antenna! Actually the 12FG with tm-14 on it balances pretty well. All you really need is to put a piece of velcro on the bottom of the tx and hook a string to the neck strap with the mating velcro on the end of the string, adjust it so it hangs to your liking.

Brian, an EAJ.
bhchan is offline Find More Posts by bhchan
Old Nov 10, 2009, 05:54 PM
You're good!
Joined Jun 2005
6,894 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhchan View Post
No, I just say the antenna, not the 72MHz module. The 12FG I brought was a 72 MHz version and I bought the TM-14 module. So I have the original antenna! Actually the 12FG with tm-14 on it balances pretty well. All you really need is to put a piece of velcro on the bottom of the tx and hook a string to the neck strap with the mating velcro on the end of the string, adjust it so it hangs to your liking.

Brian, an EAJ.
Yeah, the radio sits halfway decent on its own, but when I put my hands on it the bottom wants to fall down. I might try the string thing tonight. Anyhow, I was saying that I'd like to have the 72mhz module because I sill have some old fm receivers that I could use for small cheap foamies and such.
Old Nov 13, 2009, 03:47 PM
You're good!
Joined Jun 2005
6,894 Posts
I got the adapter today, and it feels much better. Hopefully with get to try it out on Sunday. Thanks for the help.

Here's what I got.

Old Nov 13, 2009, 04:53 PM
Joined Jun 2008
130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommygunn View Post
Safety,
It might be possible to strip your TX down, undo the nut that holds the neck strap swivel and rotate it 90 and re-tighten.
I tried doing that once to an Airtronics VG400 and found that there's a flat side on the hole of the TX and a corresponding flat on the shaft of the neck strap eye not allowing a 90 degree change. Might on the Spektrum tho.

jc
jcccc is offline Find More Posts by jcccc