add me to the list.
MikeB
shadow sst is offline Find More Posts by shadow sst
Old Jun 29, 2010, 08:19 PM
Pledged to Always Chase Wind
USA, UT, Salt Lake City
Joined Oct 2004
1,625 Posts
The Soar Utah website is up and running. Click over and get registered. Let me know if anyone has any questions. There will be more information about the contest soon.

http://www.soarutah.org/

Happy Soaring!

-Spencer-
deputybuzz is online now Find More Posts by deputybuzz
Old Jun 29, 2010, 10:50 PM
That Freeking Laird Guy
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Feb 2002
9,039 Posts
Not diggin the addition of racing at the hill. Having been to events that had racing and open flying at the same time its usually a cluster$u@&. Just can't see driving that far to see foam race. And the racing courses going to be set up in the areas with the best lift?? So most of my stuff probably won't fly on that shallow end of the hill. Oh well...
TFLG is online now Find More Posts by TFLG
Last edited by TFLG; Jun 29, 2010 at 10:57 PM.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 11:21 PM
sewing machine thumb
United States, CA, Palo Alto
Joined Jul 2001
2,305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFLG View Post
Not diggin the addition of racing at the hill. Having been to events that had racing and open flying at the same time its usually a cluster$u@&. Just can't see driving that far to see foam race. And the racing courses going to be set up in the areas with the best lift?? So most of my stuff probably won't fly on that shallow end of the hill. Oh well...
If I'm interpreting it correctly, the main flying area, POTM SouthEast, is the hang glider area, and the racing area, POTM SouthWest, is the normal RC flying area. The lift was great at the hang glider area in 2008, and different groups could fly in the two areas without interference.

In other words - I don't think it will be a problem.
Frank S is offline Find More Posts by Frank S
Old Jun 30, 2010, 09:43 AM
Ogden, Utah, United States
Joined Dec 2000
190 Posts
I have to agree with TFLG. Not a big fan of racing at what has typically been a Fun Fly / Scale event. A short racing demo would be cool, but tying up 3-4 hours of prim flying time just doesn't seem to go with the idea of past Soar Utah events. I'm hoping that it doesn't discourage too many of our out of town guest.

SteveB
SteveB is offline Find More Posts by SteveB
Old Jun 30, 2010, 12:30 PM
USA, UT, Salt Lake City
Joined Oct 2004
1,625 Posts
Let me assure all of you, no fun fly time will be taken because of the course. The best and most consistent lift will be in the hang glider bowl through out the entire day. Lift on the west end will vary depending on the time of day and direction of winds.

There will be no time when all fun fly airspace will be restricted(which is different from Soar Utah years past). You will notice that even during the judging Free flying will be allowed on the West end. Nothing is set in stone. We will play it all by ear depending on winds, weather and what all the pilots want to do. It is not a race event and nothing will be scored or officially ruled on. Just a bunch of guys having fun and doing what they want to do.

When all of us locals are out fun flying we jump between thermals, half pipes and chasing each other around the course for a few laps. The goal is to set up the mountain in a way that offers you the best atmosphere for fun flying. Since we fly on our mountain every week we have a good idea of what fun flying at Point of the mountain is all about and so we would like to try to share that with all of you. Even when we hold official races there is plenty of space for free flying from the main RC point while a race is happening to the far West. This all happens without us interfering with the hang glider bowl which is normally filled with para gliders and hang gliders.

We will have the equipment available there are your disposal is all we are saying. It is a fun fly so you can fun fly the course if you want. Remember the course is set up all the way to the West over the gravel bowl and not in the hang glider nor the Southeast face slope on the RC point. During 2008 there was no effort to utilize the Far west area so we hope this add on to the airspace will be a nice addition the whole event.
Last edited by deputybuzz; Jun 30, 2010 at 12:36 PM.
Old Jun 30, 2010, 01:41 PM
That Freeking Laird Guy
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Feb 2002
9,039 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deputybuzz View Post
Let me assure all of you, no fun fly time will be taken because of the course. The best and most consistent lift will be in the hang glider bowl through out the entire day. Lift on the west end will vary depending on the time of day and direction of winds.

There will be no time when all fun fly airspace will be restricted(which is different from Soar Utah years past). You will notice that even during the judging Free flying will be allowed on the West end. Nothing is set in stone. We will play it all by ear depending on winds, weather and what all the pilots want to do. It is not a race event and nothing will be scored or officially ruled on. Just a bunch of guys having fun and doing what they want to do.

When all of us locals are out fun flying we jump between thermals, half pipes and chasing each other around the course for a few laps. The goal is to set up the mountain in a way that offers you the best atmosphere for fun flying. Since we fly on our mountain every week we have a good idea of what fun flying at Point of the mountain is all about and so we would like to try to share that with all of you. Even when we hold official races there is plenty of space for free flying from the main RC point while a race is happening to the far West. This all happens without us interfering with the hang glider bowl which is normally filled with para gliders and hang gliders.

We will have the equipment available there are your disposal is all we are saying. It is a fun fly so you can fun fly the course if you want. Remember the course is set up all the way to the West over the gravel bowl and not in the hang glider nor the Southeast face slope on the RC point. During 2008 there was no effort to utilize the Far west area so we hope this add on to the airspace will be a nice addition the whole event.
Isn't the gravel bowl the normal spot the PSS planes fly pumps? I've always flown in the bowl. The lift just doesnt ever seem that good down on the shallow hang glider hill (at least not very good for PSS stuff). What's the plan if the wind is coming from the north? Can you still fly the North side?
TFLG is online now Find More Posts by TFLG
Old Jun 30, 2010, 02:06 PM
Modesto Calfornia
Joined Feb 2004
700 Posts
Hi Spencer,
I have never been to Utah so can you offer me pointers.
First how do we get models up to the point, I have probably 3 1/3 scale ships that are not light weight, plus gear can you drive up to the sumit in a Dodge caravan.
Where is the nearest Motel/Hotel for easiest access to both aero tow and slope.
My wife and I leaving Wednesday we will be in Utah Thursday ready to fly to test the waters!
Information from any one will be appreciated
David Alchin AKA The Brit
fudi50 is offline Find More Posts by fudi50
Old Jun 30, 2010, 02:29 PM
USA, UT, Salt Lake City
Joined Oct 2004
1,625 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFLG View Post
Isn't the gravel bowl the normal spot the PSS planes fly pumps? I've always flown in the bowl. The lift just doesnt ever seem that good down on the shallow hang glider hill (at least not very good for PSS stuff). What's the plan if the wind is coming from the north? Can you still fly the North side?
The bowl can be a great spot for half pipe pumps when the winds turn SouthWest in the afternoon. Early mornings and late evenings it is a bit cross in the gravel bowl. We are used to flying in cross wind but if direction goes Southwest and get really good then we would halt any racing and open it for free flying. I really hope we can get some friendly PSS MOM heats happening.

If winds turn north then we have the North flight park also reserved. This year we will have keys to gate and driving access to top ridge so we can shuttle some pilots up there for DS or for some of the most amazing front side lift you will ever experience. When the north side goes big it is much much bigger then the south side but only on the top ridge.
Old Jun 30, 2010, 08:53 PM
Dances With The Wind
United States, FL, Punta Gorda
Joined May 2002
6,467 Posts
Maybe we were all just lucky in 2008, but the lift across the entire south face was huge for almost the entire event.

There were a handful of guys (including me) flying pumps on the west end, but 90% of the flying action went on along the eastern and middle sections. The PSS type planes were ripping it up East, West, and Center.

If that happens again, there should be no shortage of airspace for both a race course and for regular flying. If the winds aren't so favorable, it looks like the "race" will not happen. The race sounds like it's going to be a casual, just for laughs type of event. Heck, I've never raced a lap in my life, so if the race happens, I'll probably sign up, just to see how badly I can get into everyone elses way.

BTW: I almost passed on Utah this year, due to the sorry state of my personal finances, but I had SOOO much fun in 2008 that I just can't pass this up. I'll see you guys in September!
Brian Courtice is online now Find More Posts by Brian Courtice
Old Jul 01, 2010, 12:11 PM
NY Slope Dog
Syracuse, NY
Joined Sep 2003
811 Posts
racing during fun flys

In light lift, one way to make lemondade out of lemons is to see how many guys you can assemble into formation turns while flying a course.

The hills at Soar Utah don't really lend themselves to the following, but at other venues I've flown we usually pick a tree at the lip of the slope to FLY AROUND and UNDER if possible on the near end. The far end is usually where people go long or short to insure everyone stays in sync (so you really don't need a tall marker at the far end). That's not really "racing" but it is a good substitude and gets pretty fun with a lot of planes in the pattern.

I'm wondering if the genesis for this "informal race" format you're talking about generated with that idea in mind? I don't recall really any trees at the Utah sites which allow what I described, so perhaps the event organizers wanted to erect some markers for that?

I'm not likely to enter any races with unlimited class crunchies, but surely I will partake in lots of formation flying. Formation flying and and half pipes are the prime reasons I go to these things!

Joe
Wind Junkie is online now Find More Posts by Wind Junkie
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 01, 2010, 12:21 PM
USA, UT, Salt Lake City
Joined Oct 2004
1,625 Posts
Joe,

We have permanent cemented pole stands in the ground. We just insert the flag poles when we arrive. Plus we have a 4 color light system and f3f timer system in case the mood strikes anyone in the group. We end up doing exactly what you are describing as far as syncing up groups of planes while we are fun flying.

I doubt we will have too many guys that want to do unlimited MOM. But maybe Sunday evening a few guys will put on a show for us.
Old Jul 01, 2010, 01:28 PM
USA, UT, Salt Lake City
Joined Oct 2004
1,625 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fudi50 View Post
Hi Spencer,
I have never been to Utah so can you offer me pointers.
First how do we get models up to the point, I have probably 3 1/3 scale ships that are not light weight, plus gear can you drive up to the sumit in a Dodge caravan.
Where is the nearest Motel/Hotel for easiest access to both aero tow and slope.
My wife and I leaving Wednesday we will be in Utah Thursday ready to fly to test the waters!
Information from any one will be appreciated
David Alchin AKA The Brit

David,

Sorry for the delay in response, as I overlooked clicking the submit message button.

There are paved roads right to the top of the south side at point of the mountain and a short(200 yards) dirt road to parking area. On the north side there are paved roads right to a paved parking area. Cars, vans and motorcycles will have no problem accessing these sites. The aero tow in Grantsville also has easy driving access with only a short distance on dirt roads to the flying field. If you plan on driving to Francis Peak on Monday then some caution should be taken. You will not need four wheel drive nor will you need a high clearance vehicle. The road to the top is maintained and can be driven in a car however it can be a bit rocky and may have some section of washboard. Just drive slowly and you will have no problems.

As for hotels, we are working on a list which we will post on the website and in the Soar Utah forums. Any hotels in Lehi, Sandy, or Draper will be a short 5 minute drive to the point. Salt Lake City Downtown hotels will offer restaurants, bars and shopping malls in walking distance and will only be about 15-20 minute drive to the point.

You can PM or email me if anyone has specific questions.

-Spencer-
Old Sep 10, 2011, 08:46 PM
Thermal Junkie
San Diego - California - USA
Joined Feb 2001
342 Posts
Was there an event this year - 2011?

The website is so outdated??

-- Warren
AMA 19909
LSF 8170