HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 10, 2009, 07:01 PM
Micro Crazy Man
Baltimore, Md.
Joined May 2004
1,531 Posts
Heli I agree I knoew I personaly have gone through some planes getting this stuff figured out. Its truely amazing the Bristol flew very nice with a fair amount of trimming it was touchy in th eair but not beond control. The Zero flew from my hand and I havn't touched it since it was perfect. I really looked at the build closely for the zero and basicly just threw the J3 and P51 togeather. Live and learn I did some angle checks on the new frames. I made some corrections to these that I overlooked on the first builds. I hope to get both flying tomorrow.

Doom
epicdoom is offline Find More Posts by epicdoom
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 10, 2009, 07:25 PM
RCG -Minus Member
United States, SC, West Columbia
Joined Oct 2009
1,441 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Johnson View Post
Nice work on your Cub. I'm sure it will fly nicely now that you've trimmed it out. High wing monoplanes are so nice and stable. Are you going to put a landing gear on it? Here are some pictures of a Monocoupe I did a couple of years ago with a geared 4mm motor. I used a very tiny light ply mount and just glued the struts into that. I used wheel pants with printed on wheels that don't turn.

Gordon
this plane looks nice did it fly?
microflitedude is offline Find More Posts by microflitedude
Old Nov 11, 2009, 09:47 AM
Micro Crazy Man
Baltimore, Md.
Joined May 2004
1,531 Posts
No fly time as it's raining here in Maryland, today and possibly tomorrow as well. I tried to get an oppertunity in but it just wouldn't let up today. It is however flying through my house under power very nicely. So it's looking better than yesterdays attempts.

Doom
Old Nov 11, 2009, 01:12 PM
in persuit of low wing loading
Boston, Mass
Joined May 2001
6,430 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by microflitedude View Post
this plane looks nice did it fly?
Yes it did, very nicely. I did it to test the Hairspray technique on foam and then printing on it. However, in this plane's case as time went by the hairspray seems to have shrunk putting more and more curvature into the wings. I need to make the plane again since while it's still flyable it looks funny with really curved wings.

I've done three different Monocoupes.

The first one was a 10-inch span done when the Plantraco 0.9g RX first came out several years ago and used a pair of (then) prototype BSD MicroAct's (look carefully and you can see they are blue plastic, not the black plastic of the production Acts). More detail here:
http://home.comcast.net/~gordon-johnson/monocoupe.htm

My second one was 16-inch span. It originally used a MM BL motor and Falcon servos. Later I put a Kyosho Brick in it and used a geared 7mm motor. It's still flyable and has seen a lot of air time, inside and outside. So, it's probably soon to be permanently retired.
http://home.comcast.net/~gordon-john...nocoupe-bl.htm

Next up will probably be a full fuselage Monocoupe, not sure what size yet, but probably around 9 or 10-inch span.

Gordon
Gordon Johnson is offline Find More Posts by Gordon Johnson
Old Nov 11, 2009, 02:00 PM
Micro Crazy Man
Baltimore, Md.
Joined May 2004
1,531 Posts
Got in a few min. outside with this little plane and it's flying the wind is beating it to death but it does fly. was trying to fly it with one hand so I could atlest get a pic of it in the air but the wind is to strong making me fly the plane constantly. Hopefully tomorrow will be a no wind no rain day. At one point the wind rolled the plane over inverted lucky it was a short gust as it righted it's self nicely to prevent a crash. I think I have the durabatics to thin at .018 the wings flex a good bit even with the undercamber rolled into them maybe it was just the wind pushing the plane around. The Zero's wings are the same thickness and they dont flex, Least I cant see it if it does.
Tapping Foot I am praying for a better day tomorrow.

Doom
Old Nov 11, 2009, 04:07 PM
RCG -Minus Member
United States, SC, West Columbia
Joined Oct 2009
1,441 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Johnson View Post
Yes it did, very nicely. I did it to test the Hairspray technique on foam and then printing on it. However, in this plane's case as time went by the hairspray seems to have shrunk putting more and more curvature into the wings. I need to make the plane again since while it's still flyable it looks funny with really curved wings.

I've done three different Monocoupes.

The first one was a 10-inch span done when the Plantraco 0.9g RX first came out several years ago and used a pair of (then) prototype BSD MicroAct's (look carefully and you can see they are blue plastic, not the black plastic of the production Acts). More detail here:
http://home.comcast.net/~gordon-johnson/monocoupe.htm

My second one was 16-inch span. It originally used a MM BL motor and Falcon servos. Later I put a Kyosho Brick in it and used a geared 7mm motor. It's still flyable and has seen a lot of air time, inside and outside. So, it's probably soon to be permanently retired.
http://home.comcast.net/~gordon-john...nocoupe-bl.htm

Next up will probably be a full fuselage Monocoupe, not sure what size yet, but probably around 9 or 10-inch span.

Gordon

nicely done! one of the smallest 3ch i've ever seen.
microflitedude is offline Find More Posts by microflitedude
Old Nov 13, 2009, 11:00 AM
Micro Crazy Man
Baltimore, Md.
Joined May 2004
1,531 Posts
Well it just wont stop raining here I had a window of oppertunity but the wind isnt in my favor I sure hope this weekend looks better will fly it out front of my house if so.

Doom
Old Nov 13, 2009, 11:34 AM
Jantel
Surrey UK
Joined Dec 2003
178 Posts
Heliman
Certainly could be tip stalling but more likely C of G postion, I learned many years ago with free flight models at this size to set the C of G at 20 to 25% and set the flight pattern with up elevator.

I build models using Durobatics at 180mm to 200mm span use the Picoo Z motor and prop, it seems to work best at that size, with direct drive you need about 2 - 3 degrees left side thrust as a start point (reverse direction prop) if the model yaws and wallows bring C of G further forwards if its OK then try moving back, continue until you get a nice low speed flight and even left right turns, don't confuse the wallowing with too little power, my 5.5gram 180mm Spit flies 10 mins on one 30Ma Fullriver my 200mm Cub (4grams) does 15mins on a 20Ma at very low speeds ROG's with power to spare

The other trick for reliable flying is to make a simple jig ensuring both wings are exactly symetrical and 3/32@ (2mm) washout, I find if the wings are 100% mirror image success is guaranteed, if not then its a lottery

Tonight I hope to test a 180mm Avro 504 using a gear Picoo Z at 4:1 and an Aero ace prop, I will keep you updated

Terry
jantel is offline Find More Posts by jantel
Old Nov 13, 2009, 12:26 PM
I love my ID.
Fairfax VA
Joined Aug 2004
664 Posts
If everything fails, try increasing dihedral.
jingjingjing is offline Find More Posts by jingjingjing
Old Nov 13, 2009, 01:17 PM
AAces High
United States, VA, Midlothian
Joined Feb 2009
2,049 Posts
You'll get your chance Joe. You know more than I that we are at the mercy of mother nature. And I'm sure that plane will fly great if you managed to get some flight time in the wind.

Good Luck Bro. Keep us posted. (Like I have to ask LOL)

Dave
aeronaught is online now Find More Posts by aeronaught
Old Nov 13, 2009, 01:41 PM
Like a Boss
Canada, BC, Whistler
Joined Jun 2006
2,130 Posts
Jantel thanks for the tips, your flight times are amazing
Heliman420 is offline Find More Posts by Heliman420
Old Nov 16, 2009, 11:59 AM
Micro Crazy Man
Baltimore, Md.
Joined May 2004
1,531 Posts
Well, well, well It didn't rain today I got some flight time in today the little cub is fast and touchy in the air I need to slow it down a bit and maybe trim the rudder back a bit even tho I used the elevator as a stop for the rudder its still grabbing big air I would say it has approx 3mm deflection ATM to the right and left I still dont like how it's flying and it was a handfull to video so I'll play with it some more tomorrow here are a few short videos of it in the air it got pretty windy for these little planes for daylight flight but I gave it a go anyhow
1/72 J3 Cub (0 min 18 sec)

1/72 Cub 015 (0 min 9 sec)

1/72 Cub 016 (0 min 9 sec)

Doom
Old Nov 16, 2009, 12:23 PM
AAces High
Joined Feb 2009
2,049 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by epicdoom View Post
Well, well, well It didn't rain today I got some flight time in today the little cub is fast and touchy in the air I need to slow it down a bit and maybe trim the rudder back a bit even tho I used the elevator as a stop for the rudder its still grabbing big air I would say it has approx 3mm deflection ATM to the right and left I still dont like how it's flying and it was a handfull to video so I'll play with it some more tomorrow here are a few short videos of it in the air it got pretty windy for these little planes for daylight flight but I gave it a go anyhow

Doom
Yeay!!! You finally got a test in Bro!! Looks like some adjustments are in order. She was porpoising a lot. But it looked good anyways because it's my favorite civilian plane.

Dave
Old Nov 16, 2009, 01:07 PM
Micro Crazy Man
Baltimore, Md.
Joined May 2004
1,531 Posts
Yeah getting the throttle set at the same time as trying to turn is a handfull with one hand the wind played a big factor in some of the porposing also I would get the trotte set and then turn it into the wind and it would try to climb while getting pushed back. I'll get it figured out. I dont give up to easy once I get it into the air its just trim issues then the hard part of getting it in the air and keeping there is over it flew alot better when I was able to use both hands for control.
I built a smaller 4" WS version of it last night will post some picks later today

Joe
Old Nov 16, 2009, 01:21 PM
AAces High
Joined Feb 2009
2,049 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by epicdoom View Post
Yeah getting the throttle set at the same time as trying to turn is a handfull with one hand the wind played a big factor in some of the porposing also I would get the trotte set and then turn it into the wind and it would try to climb while getting pushed back. I'll get it figured out. I dont give up to easy once I get it into the air its just trim issues then the hard part of getting it in the air and keeping there is over it flew alot better when I was able to use both hands for control.
I built a smaller 4" WS version of it last night will post some picks later today

Joe
I didn't think about the wind. Anything more than Beaufort 1 would take it for a ride. Jeez Bro you don't give up! You're a building fool lately! When you get a chance check out my latest faux pas.

Dave