HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 09, 2009, 08:40 PM
Like a Boss
Canada, BC, Whistler
Joined Jun 2006
2,130 Posts
Thats the only 4mm motor i like to use in my planes, its more expensive to buy than the plantraco motors, but the extra power is worth it.

i flew one of the local members 1/72 3.8 gram spitfire and it still had plenty of power to climb.

looks like you added a strip to the LE... that should be enough to strengthen the wing to prevent folding.
Heliman420 is offline Find More Posts by Heliman420
Last edited by Heliman420; Nov 09, 2009 at 08:46 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 09, 2009, 08:51 PM
Micro Crazy Man
Baltimore, Md.
Joined May 2004
1,531 Posts
Yep I was concerned so I put a strip on all this scale Heli with the extra motor power did you have to use more thrust angle? Im about 1.5deg down and 2deg right on the zero its 1deg down and 1.5 deg right at 2 deg on that plane it looked like it was side slipping a bit so I changed it.

Doom
epicdoom is offline Find More Posts by epicdoom
Old Nov 09, 2009, 09:02 PM
Like a Boss
Canada, BC, Whistler
Joined Jun 2006
2,130 Posts
Nope, all my planes have almost zero down and left thrust (since im using a left handed prop) the spitfire has zero and flys great, but some can have 2 degrees at the most.

all models are diffrent, all the spitfires ive built had diffrent charecteristics, i had one that i was flying in a gym and landed at somebodys feet, when i yelled not to move, sure enough he moved and stepped on the nose of the plane crushing the blue foam nose, i flew the rest of the day with the motor almost hanging from the nose... thrust angles always variying.. and it flew perfectly.. like nothing happened.
to say the least i was dumbfounded
Old Nov 09, 2009, 09:23 PM
Micro Crazy Man
Baltimore, Md.
Joined May 2004
1,531 Posts
LOL You should have Yelled Move Damn you he probly would have stayed put. the nature of the beast is for someone to do something you dont want. I so far have had to use some right thrust on all the models I've built but some have not needed any down. I cant wait to build the Hellcat and Corsair I drew up the corsair prommises to be fun I have an idea for doing the wings tho. There my next 2 and final 2 profile planes. I built 3 of the full fuse spits that are posted on here will do the P51 next for sure going to use the Picoo motors on those.

Doom
Old Nov 09, 2009, 09:28 PM
Joined Apr 2009
25 Posts
That's one of the coolest little planes I've ever seen. Can hardly wait for video.
rt450 is offline Find More Posts by rt450
Old Nov 09, 2009, 09:42 PM
Like a Boss
Canada, BC, Whistler
Joined Jun 2006
2,130 Posts
ill keep that in mind for the next time. he did this little dance after i screamed in terror.. i thought the plane was a goner for sure, i got lucky he just got it with his heel on the 4mm of foam that was the nose

Roberts spitfire plan is exellent for what it is. however the tail section (from the canopy to tail is 4mm too long ) as is the nose.. but the longer nose is fine for the later marks, if building a mk1 it needs to be shrtened..but its still the most accurate rollup spit available.

looking forward to the full fuse planes
Last edited by Heliman420; Nov 09, 2009 at 09:48 PM.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 12:04 AM
Fly, dangit!!!
Little Rock, AR USA
Joined Jan 2007
1,050 Posts
Doom - Man you are a machine! You're spittin out planes faster than I change underwear! I haven't had a whole lot of time to surf around on the forum, I finally get a little time to see what all is going on and see you've posted up a bunch more! I love the Zero too. Best of luck with you're Cub.

p.s. Can't wait to see that DVIII

J. B.
Led Zepplin is offline Find More Posts by Led Zepplin
Old Nov 10, 2009, 01:13 AM
Mc-Fly
Melbourne-Australia
Joined Mar 2008
1,110 Posts
Perfect plane Doom, i can only hope Parkzone will be spitting out these little 1/72 4ch planes in years to come, wouldn't that be a treat!

Have faith, she will fly
Veteran is offline Find More Posts by Veteran
Old Nov 10, 2009, 09:05 AM
RCG -Minus Member
United States, SC, West Columbia
Joined Oct 2009
1,444 Posts
plantraco gots to make some of these!
microflitedude is offline Find More Posts by microflitedude
Old Nov 10, 2009, 01:08 PM
Micro Crazy Man
Baltimore, Md.
Joined May 2004
1,531 Posts
Well we had some flight from the little J3 today, unfortunatly getting it trimmed to fly resulted in some serious damage to the airframe. by the time I got it to stay in the air I landed hard on the ground and busted the prop. so tonight I will build another one put on new prop and give it another go tomorrow. Was nice to get the trimming figured out it plunged to the ground so many times I thought it looked better down there then in the air just wen I get it flying I land to get my camera and broke to prop off the nose is so flimmsy from repeated nose dives into the ground it for sure needs rebuilding.

LOL plantraco better get my permission first hehe this one is copyright protected as is all the planes I have drawn up and built from my plans. Thanx for the Complements folks Led I and just about done the fokker. I didnt want to rush it being a full fuse it was tuff to keep everything lined up till the glue set but it's looking good so far I will get some gear into it possibly this weekend.

Doom
Old Nov 10, 2009, 04:31 PM
RCG -Minus Member
United States, SC, West Columbia
Joined Oct 2009
1,444 Posts
sweet. please post some video somwheres. how long did stay in the air? patent? lol
microflitedude is offline Find More Posts by microflitedude
Old Nov 10, 2009, 05:09 PM
in persuit of low wing loading
Boston, Mass
Joined May 2001
6,438 Posts
Nice work on your Cub. I'm sure it will fly nicely now that you've trimmed it out. High wing monoplanes are so nice and stable. Are you going to put a landing gear on it? Here are some pictures of a Monocoupe I did a couple of years ago with a geared 4mm motor. I used a very tiny light ply mount and just glued the struts into that. I used wheel pants with printed on wheels that don't turn.

Gordon
Gordon Johnson is online now Find More Posts by Gordon Johnson
Old Nov 10, 2009, 06:26 PM
Like a Boss
Canada, BC, Whistler
Joined Jun 2006
2,130 Posts
Sorry to hear the maiden didnt go to well, these 1/72 models can be a real pain in the @$$ sometimes, ive had many problems myself, some respond to trim and some dont, and some do things ive never seen a plane do..
the important thing is not to give up! you will get it eventually.

What was the problem? how was the plane behaving...and what trim adustments did you make?
Old Nov 10, 2009, 07:00 PM
Micro Crazy Man
Baltimore, Md.
Joined May 2004
1,531 Posts
Gordon Thanx yes I hope to install the gear will have to get it flying stable and see how much power it has before do that I may end up putting in the Picoo motor for more power

Heli Yeah bro these things have a mind of there own, it would launch nice fly a few feet then roll in to the left. I fixed that issue after crashing 4 or 5 times then it would try and climb and stall plunge to the ground. I fixed that with ele adj. when I did get it flying fairly well it was in a right turn I landed to see if the wings were even the ele even and rudder straight but when I landed it it came down to hard and busted the prop off.
I got a new airframe built with the electronics installed I took measurements from the old frame and applied them to the new one hopefully it will fly tomorrow.

Doom
Old Nov 10, 2009, 07:25 PM
Like a Boss
Canada, BC, Whistler
Joined Jun 2006
2,130 Posts
Sounds like was tip stalling in the beginning, a very common problem with these planes, a bit of washout can usually fix it, did you change the incidence at all for the new model? id lower it by a degree or two as it seems like it has quite a bit looking at the pics, maybe that why you had to add down elevator...

i wish i had vids of all my failed attempts, i had one spit that flew extremely fast for some unknown reason, it would fly perfectly straight for like 40ft then suddenly violently pitch up and go into a flat spin, something ive never seen a plane this small do and others that would enter knife edge flight for no reason..

i went through a period of really bad luck awhile ago, 20 spits in a row were all failures...

sometimes all you can do is build another one and hope for the best, experiment with diffrent wing and stab incidence, this is critical! i cant overstress this enough.
Last edited by Heliman420; Nov 10, 2009 at 07:31 PM.