HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 08, 2009, 10:37 PM
3D and Scale RC Heli Pilot
Monroe, WA
Joined Jan 2007
836 Posts
Mini-Review
Build/Review: HeliArtist 450 Size UH-1 Huey Fuselage

Welcome to my build and review of the HeliArtist 450 H1 fiberglass fuselage.
In this thread, I will show how to assemble this semi scale UH-1 Huey class fuselage, onto a 450 class helicopter.

While many modifications can be made, to make this kit look like the full scale version, I will only demonstrate how to complete the stock assembly.

What's in the Box:

*Fiber Glass scale fuselage x 1
*Tinted Pellucid windows x 3
*Horizontal stabilizer x 2
*Upper Tail Assembly Set x 1
*Belt x 1
*Landing Gear Set x 1 Pack
*Frame Stand Wood x 1 Pack
*Screw Pack x 1

Tinted windows:

Horizontal stabilizer fins:

Elevated Tail conversion assembly:

Landing Gear:

Wood spacers and Screw Pack:

Assembly Manual

Note: Disregard second sentence, step 7. The short tail boom tube is included with the elevated tail assembly.

Helicopter Mechanics

HK-450 Helicopter kit
Fun House Heli Gold anodized Metal Main Rotor Head assembly
HXT900 9G servos x 4
Turnigy 2836 Brushless 3700kv Motor
Turnigy Plush 40A ESC
JR G7703D Gyro

Landing Gear Assembly

The H-1 fuselage is recessed and pre-drilled for the landing gear struts.

The base of the H-1 fuselage has four wooden blocks. The landing gear struts can be secured to the fuselage with the included self tap screws.

Note: Vibrations and rough landing may strip and loosen the self tap screws from the fuselage base wood blocks.
Loose landing gear may cause violent resonance vibrations which will lead to self destruction of the helicopter!

Recommended Method Use nuts, bolts, washers and thread lock to secure the landing gear struts to the H-1 fuselage.

The skids and "T" connector can be assembled using CA, Epoxy or hardware.
Recommended Method Drill a 2mm hole and use the self tap screws to secure the struts and skids to the "T" connector.

Elevated Tail Conversion Install

For the H-1 elevated tail conversion install, shortening the helicopter's tail boom will be required.

Note: The first release UH-1 and BO-105 kits have a plastic smooth guide pulley, riding the belt teeth. It has been discovered that the plastic guide pulley will become rapidly worn and fail, which could result in tail rotor failure! Please see post for DIY modification: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1165117

The manual states cutting to a length of 30.8cm. I found that I needed to cut the tail boom to 30.5cm, so that the belt could be installed on the pinion.

Once the tail boom has been shortened, be sure to sand and smooth the cut edges. Discard the cut off remnant.

Attach the tail rotor assembly to the short tube of the elevated tail assembly.

Install the elevated tail rotor assembly onto the tail boom, and attach the belt to the tail rotor drive pinion.
Verify that the tail rotor is rotating in the proper direction.
Verify that there is enough slack to adjust belt tension.
Verify that there is no binding.

Mount the rudder servo, and dry fit the heli into the fuselage to determine if the tail boom servo mount will fit.
First partially disassemble the elevated tail rotor.

Note: I found that my rudder servo could not fit and function while mounted on the tail boom.
I mounted the rudder servo to the heli frame with double sided tape and a cable tie.

After the location of the tail rudder has been determined, reassemble the tail rotor, set up the mechanics, electronics and test fly the helicopter mechanics before final assembly into the fuselage.

Note: During test flights, I determined that the stock tail rudder servo rod was too stiff. This caused the tail to wag in flight.

Recommended Method: Use Sullivan's Gold-n-Rod #515 semi-flex cable.
The cable will allow you to place the rudder servo in any location that you choose, making it possible to access and adjust the servo while the helicopter is inside the fuselage.

Recommended Method: Apply thread lock to all of the elevated tail assembly nuts and bolts!

Heli to Fuselage Mounting Brackets

Included in the kit are a set of long and short wood spacers. These make up the mounting bracket that is used to secure the helicopter to the fuselage.

The long spacers have a hole drilled on each end, for secure the heli to the fuselage with the included nuts, washer and bolts.

The short spacers are used to secure the mounting bracket to the helicopter.

Glue together one short and one long spacer to fabricate the mounting brackets that will be installed onto the heli frame front and rear landing gear mounts.

Using a washer and self tap screw attach the wood brackets to the heli frame.

Note: Due to the curvature of the fuselage, the center of the rear mounting bracket will not make contact with the fuselage floor.
glue a second short spacer onto the rear bracket.

The heli can now be mounted to the fuselage with the included hardware.

To make installation more secure and a little easier, I added 4-40 Blind Nuts to the mounting bracket.

Dry Fit & Adjustments

Installing the mechanics and disassembly, a few times should be done to make sure there are no mechanical obstructions.

Final Assembly

Insert the heli into the fuselage and reassemble the tail rotor assembly.

1. Position the helicopter and drill holes for the front mounting bracket.
2. Install and secure the hardware onto the front mounting bracket.
3. Using a 2mm self tap screw, access the rear bracket hole and tap a drill hole for the rear bracket.
4. From the bottom of the fuselage, where the rear hole was tapped, drill a larger hole for the mounting hardware.
5. Install and secure the hardware onto the rear mounting bracket.

Attach the elevated tail rotor cover, drill holes, and install the 2mm self tap screws.

Trim the roof and floor windows. Install windows using rubber cement or double sided tape.

Flight Test & Final Notes:
HeliArtist UH-1 Huey - Pilot: Kip Newby (Trial Flight) (3 min 23 sec)

The HeliArtist H1 semi-scale fuselage is easily recognized as the popular UH-1 Huey.
This kit is fairly easy to assemble, and should be a good choice for beginners wanting to get into scale.
For the advanced scale hobbyist, although this kit is semi-scale, you'll enjoy turning this model into your personal
masterpiece.

The H1 is a joy to fly, and invokes the thought of the music Ride Of the Valkyries from the film Apocalypse Now.
It is sure to draw attention from onlookers at the park or flying field.

Update 12/9/2011
I now use and recommend the TREX 500 ball link connector, that can be used with the standard ball link, and does not require you to modify the servo arm.

Also, I no longer use the Sullivan Cable (yellow sleeve).
I use the Sullivan Precision Rod. It works a lot better than the cable, and is easier to install, using TREX 500 ball links.

Sullivan Precision Rod 2-56:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXFV43
BlackTitanium is offline Find More Posts by BlackTitanium
Last edited by BlackTitanium; Dec 09, 2011 at 01:07 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 09, 2009, 01:00 AM
MultiRotor Guru
Thailand, Bangkok
Joined Feb 2009
111 Posts
I've been looking into getting one of these. Thanks for the mini review, I look forward to the next part.
Norrad is online now Find More Posts by Norrad
Old Nov 09, 2009, 02:39 AM
Joined Dec 2003
1,580 Posts
wowwwwwwwwwwww
very very nice
fung
fung is offline Find More Posts by fung
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 09, 2009, 05:43 AM
Redjestird Youser
Joined Jan 2009
3,878 Posts
Nice work, cant wait till mine shows up. Why do I get the sneaking suspicion that this model will have me making a home made FBL scale head?
SidewaysLS4 is offline Find More Posts by SidewaysLS4
Old Nov 09, 2009, 11:09 AM
United States, TX, Lindale
Joined Apr 2003
910 Posts
good info on the build once again, now if my parts would show up I can work on mine...
crazhorse is offline Find More Posts by crazhorse
Old Nov 10, 2009, 10:06 AM
Lake Zurich, IL
Joined Jan 2008
5,654 Posts
Nice landing
sidneyw is offline Find More Posts by sidneyw
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 10, 2009, 05:21 PM
MultiRotor Guru
Thailand, Bangkok
Joined Feb 2009
111 Posts
Where did you buy it from? The only store I can find that ships internationally is rc-uwants.com. I would like to get the white version and do a custom paint job to make it look more realistic.

A member at my club built his own fusalage for his Mini-Titan and I think he did a great job with it.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 05:31 PM
Monroe, WA
Joined Jan 2007
836 Posts
Have you tried flying-hobby.com?

Your club member's model looks awesome! Thanks for sharing.

Old Nov 10, 2009, 06:24 PM
MultiRotor Guru
Thailand, Bangkok
Joined Feb 2009
111 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackTitanium View Post
Have you tried flying-hobby.com?

Your club member's model looks awesome! Thanks for sharing.
Thanks for the site, I'm checking them out now.

Here is a video of his and other club members helis in flight.

3 King Minititan (5 min 18 sec)
Old Nov 10, 2009, 08:06 PM
Redjestird Youser
Joined Jan 2009
3,878 Posts
Wow, that is some nice work! Love that video too
SidewaysLS4 is offline Find More Posts by SidewaysLS4
Old Nov 10, 2009, 08:24 PM
2013 GRAND SPORT CORVETTE
Golden Gulf Coast
Joined Jul 2002
10,201 Posts
Great special effects in the video. Just need more close ups of the helis in the video. BTW MEDIVAC Hueys had no armament, at least none that I saw or rode in.

Cheers - Boyd
Hoverup is offline Find More Posts by Hoverup
Last edited by Hoverup; Nov 11, 2009 at 08:04 AM.
Old Nov 11, 2009, 12:37 AM
MultiRotor Guru
Thailand, Bangkok
Joined Feb 2009
111 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoverup View Post
Great special effects in the video. Just need more close ups of the helis.

Cheers - Boyd
Here are a few more pics, you can view the build thread over here (http://203.150.226.25/forum/showthread.php?t=308145) but it's all in Thai.

I don't want to hijack the thread, I'm very interested in the UH-1 body for the TRex, my friends have offered to build me a body if I switch to the Mini-Titan, but I am too much of a die hard Trex 450 fan to do that.
Old Nov 11, 2009, 12:48 AM
Monroe, WA
Joined Jan 2007
836 Posts
Those are some fantastic models and beautiful photography, thanks for sharing!
Old Nov 11, 2009, 02:43 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2002
862 Posts
Very impressive and professionally done !! Where can we get these Thailand fuselages ?
wilerbee is offline Find More Posts by wilerbee
Old Nov 11, 2009, 03:46 AM
MultiRotor Guru
Thailand, Bangkok
Joined Feb 2009
111 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilerbee View Post
Very impressive and professionally done !! Where can we get these Thailand fuselages ?
Unfortunately they are not for sale, they are simply personal projects for the creators, they try and make the detail as realistic as possible. There is a place called HiTechkit-rc.com, they do stock a basic UH-1 fuselage that I think these are based on. Try giving them a call, their site doesn't list much.