SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 08, 2009, 09:05 PM
Where is the lift?
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Nov 2005
6,367 Posts
Discussion
Offsetting constant spring pressure on servo with counter force spring?

I have heard and read some discussions involving using a cable/spring setup for elevator and rudder control. I understand that there is a constant force applied to the servo causing additional drain on the battery. Would another spring used in the opposite direction attached to the servo arm at the same distance out as the one used at the elevator/rudder (arm length) a plausible idea for reducing loads on the system? Maybe this is already done, I would not have a clue as I personally have not used this system or even seen one in person. Just curious.

Charlie
cptsnoopy is offline Find More Posts by cptsnoopy
Last edited by cptsnoopy; Nov 08, 2009 at 09:23 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 08, 2009, 09:10 PM
Where is the lift?
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Nov 2005
6,367 Posts
On further thought, the pivot distance at the servo would not be feasible as there is generally not much room where the servo is mounted. Perhaps a stronger spring would be required because of the shorter arm length at the servo.

Charlie
Old Nov 08, 2009, 10:19 PM
Canada .the great
Joined Jan 2008
1,521 Posts
I think the whole idea is to save weight which the additional spring would defeat .The real cure is push/pull but it weights more than pull/spring SL
soarluck is offline Find More Posts by soarluck
Old Nov 08, 2009, 10:55 PM
Father of Fr3aK, DLG Pilot
USA, OH, Worthington
Joined May 2002
6,709 Posts
What's wrong with good old stainless? It's low maintenance and it typically works.
tom43004 is offline Find More Posts by tom43004
Old Nov 08, 2009, 11:38 PM
Where is the lift?
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Nov 2005
6,367 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by soarluck View Post
I think the whole idea is to save weight which the additional spring would defeat .The real cure is push/pull but it weights more than pull/spring SL
Push/pull is what I use. And so far I have not needed to reduce the weight enough near the rudder/elevator to consider using pull/pull or pull/spring. But if tail weight was an issue and pull/spring is lighter then maybe this would help keep the CG more in line.

Perhaps the constant strain on the servo is not enough to worry about? I was under the impression it might be an issue.

Charlie
Old Nov 09, 2009, 12:09 AM
United States, CA, Union City
Joined Mar 2004
392 Posts
I have used the pull-spring method on my DLG for a few years now. At first I was skeptical. I did worry about the constant spring tension on the servo. I'm using it on a full flying stab, analog servo. No issues with draining the battery, servo's are not failing and seem to be centering just fine.
dbaya is offline Find More Posts by dbaya
Old Nov 09, 2009, 12:29 AM
Where is the lift?
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Nov 2005
6,367 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbaya View Post
I have used the pull-spring method on my DLG for a few years now. At first I was skeptical. I did worry about the constant spring tension on the servo. I'm using it on a full flying stab, analog servo. No issues with draining the battery, servo's are not failing and seem to be centering just fine.
Ok, sounds like it is a non-issue. Thanks

Charlie
Old Nov 09, 2009, 12:54 PM
jrerickson
Valencia, CA
Joined Jan 2005
824 Posts
I'm using pull/spring on my new Predator. The spring part is a small rubber band. What's nice about the system is that you can take the rubber band off for storage; no tension.

John
jrerickson is offline Find More Posts by jrerickson
Old Nov 09, 2009, 03:22 PM
Milton Keynes, UK
Joined Oct 2005
1,170 Posts
Normally the geometry means that the force on the servo at-rest, is taken up by the friction in the gear-train.
Richard S is online now Find More Posts by Richard S
Old Nov 09, 2009, 08:53 PM
Pensacola, FL, USA
Joined Dec 2000
3,235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptsnoopy View Post
Ok, sounds like it is a non-issue. Thanks
Charlie
Charlie,
I use SS wire which also doubles as the antenna.
However, increased battery load has been suspected, but I've not seen it measured.

With 1900+ post you've been around a while and you may just have a WattsUp power meter, or have a power flying buddy who has one.

The WattsUp measures peak amps and also amp/hours. You could hook it up in series with your Rx find out just how much load the spring is giving compared to swinging the servos with no load.

BTW, the Ah reading has to be divided by hours or parts of hours to get average current for the transient servo load.
I'd like to know too.
Good luck.
John255
John255 is offline Find More Posts by John255
Old Nov 11, 2009, 08:31 AM
Pensacola, FL, USA
Joined Dec 2000
3,235 Posts
Whoa!!
Didn't mean to shut down the thread!!
It was just a suggestion to settle the guessing.
John255
John255 is offline Find More Posts by John255
Old Nov 11, 2009, 08:50 AM
Where is the lift?
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Nov 2005
6,367 Posts
Hi John,

I have been preoccupied with work this week which has left zero time for testing the concept. You have done nothing wrong.

Charlie
Old Nov 11, 2009, 09:31 AM
"...certainty is absurd."
Joined Jan 2007
3,601 Posts
kcaldwel is offline Find More Posts by kcaldwel
Last edited by kcaldwel; Jul 01, 2010 at 07:37 PM.