HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 13, 2010, 05:30 AM
Oklee, MN
Joined Sep 2009
289 Posts
styrene sheets ordered for the upper works yesterday, very soon she will start looking the business!!
Still in termoil over the props!!......go for two high quality rigs or 4 cheaper ones.....money money money!!!..grrrrrrrr!!
DerekCross is offline Find More Posts by DerekCross
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 13, 2010, 05:48 AM
Adelaide,Australia
Joined Dec 2009
2,368 Posts
I suppose it depends on how long your shafts need to be. Unfortunately the bigger the boat the dearer the shafts for it!! The drive ($140 for 2 motors and $154 ESC's) and shafts'n'props ($137) on Long Beach have been the most expensive individual items of the build.
Better too fit quality shafts in now than trying 2 upgrade later !!

Cheers Bruce
HeavyCruser9 is offline Find More Posts by HeavyCruser9
Old Apr 13, 2010, 06:01 AM
Oklee, MN
Joined Sep 2009
289 Posts
better is better and needs to be in this case, not like its running for 10 mins then going home.......with long periods at speed and sailing time in hours rather than minutes i need good shafts for sure.

so two shafts it is..finally, a decision!!
Old Apr 13, 2010, 08:41 AM
Adelaide,Australia
Joined Dec 2009
2,368 Posts
Definitely the way 2go mate. I ran Lb for over an Hour non-stop a couple of weeks back during "testing /running in" a lot of it a high speed, with no problems. When I finish final power set up she will run 3 x 12v7ah per motor in parallel( should give several hours of run time) and a pair of 12v7ah batt's for all the extra's going thru a harbormodels power distribution board (Or something similiar).

Cheers Bruce
Old Apr 13, 2010, 03:29 PM
Minnetonka Minnesota
Joined Aug 2007
1,196 Posts
Hi Derek, great project, will be following it. How on earth did you end up in Oklee, MN, it's not really on the well beaten path?

I see in post #30 the stepper motors, where do you plan to use them? They could be used for turret rotation, I'm interested in doing that some time.

Cap
capricorn is offline Find More Posts by capricorn
Old Apr 13, 2010, 09:20 PM
Oklee, MN
Joined Sep 2009
289 Posts
lol, a woman mate is why i am here!!...enough said!
stepper motor...mmmmm
thank you for that, now i know what they are i will see how they work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by capricorn View Post
Hi Derek, great project, will be following it. How on earth did you end up in Oklee, MN, it's not really on the well beaten path?

I see in post #30 the stepper motors, where do you plan to use them? They could be used for turret rotation, I'm interested in doing that some time.

Cap
Old Apr 13, 2010, 11:06 PM
Joined Jul 2007
2,723 Posts
Dang, Cruzer, I run two 6v10amp/hr batteries in parallel with two 550 sized motors and get hours and hours and hours of runtime. Would'nt it be cheaper to run two 12v10amphrs instead of 3- 12v7amp/hrs??? Less batteries to charge and less money. I know you got the room.

ps I have my smoke units running off another 6v10amp/hr and a fourth 6v10amp/hr for ballast. My lights are only 3v, so I have them running off a pair of Dsize cells.
Predreadnut is offline Find More Posts by Predreadnut
Last edited by Predreadnut; Apr 13, 2010 at 11:11 PM.
Old Apr 14, 2010, 12:12 AM
Adelaide,Australia
Joined Dec 2009
2,368 Posts
I would have run bigger Ah batteries, but the nut that designed the keel an frame setup(ME) made the keel too tall to allow other size batt's DOH !! But they make good ballast and keep CG very low.
I will have alot of light's (LED's most), a pair of 12volt pumps( and possible a third pump for ESC and motor cooling later on), both main radar's rotating, and the SH-60 main rotor on heli pad.....

cheers Bruce
Last edited by HeavyCruser9; Apr 14, 2010 at 12:18 AM. Reason: add 2
Old Apr 14, 2010, 07:52 AM
Oklee, MN
Joined Sep 2009
289 Posts
I am thnking also of running a pump for the motor cooling system i do like the idea of water discharging from various outlets around the ship, adds that touch of realism.
Old Apr 14, 2010, 07:56 AM
Oklee, MN
Joined Sep 2009
289 Posts
Regarding battery power, i have aquired a new small car battery that JUST fits and would go along way to balast the ship with only limeted weight needed for and aft to get her down to where she should be.....this also gives me enormour resourses for things like pumps and power operated turrets etc.
Maybe even an 8 track player too!!!!

So...question...using a laptop as a RC Transmitter.....is this possible?
And what would i need?
Old Apr 14, 2010, 07:59 AM
Oklee, MN
Joined Sep 2009
289 Posts
I do understand that having the majority of weight in one place will strain the hull but i like the simplicity of not carrying loads of seperate items to balast her.
Old Apr 14, 2010, 08:37 AM
Adelaide,Australia
Joined Dec 2009
2,368 Posts
Yes I will have about 6 water outlets discharging on Long Beach !! 4 will be draining from between the Hull join bulkhead's, and 2 from the motor and ESC's cooling when I set it up.
One battery is simpler but I like having the low CG with my beast's extreme Bridge design! (Helps 2 compensate for her large Sail area).

Cheers Bruce
Old Apr 14, 2010, 02:24 PM
Work induced time dilation...
Richland WA.
Joined Oct 2008
376 Posts
I have been watching this build for a while now and am in awe at the sheer size of this ship, let alone the number of systems that you will be able to install in it. I cant wait for furter progress and sea trials.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekCross View Post
So...question...using a laptop as a RC Transmitter.....is this possible?
And what would i need?
This is exactly what I am trying to do with my QM2 model right now. The idea is based upon using a PIC microcontroler to interface with an XBee wireless module which links to a second module that plugs into a computer's serial port. The computer can then send instructuions via the wireless link to the microcontroler which has the potential to control a few dozen different motors and servos individualy. Just think.. a 50 channel proportional tranciever.
The beauty of this system is that it only cost about $100 to make and can give you a two way link so the ship can send you back data or even live camera feeds.

I will be buing the kit I need to start testing this idea in a few weeks. Then we shall see if it is even possible...
Andrey225 is offline Find More Posts by Andrey225
Old Apr 14, 2010, 03:31 PM
Minnetonka Minnesota
Joined Aug 2007
1,196 Posts
It is interesting to me too, I also plan on running many systems on my build (it's been inactive for a while). I'm learning how to work with microprocessors, stamps etc, so will be interested in seeing your work there too Andrey. Besides the anchor windlass, turret motors, it has an air compressor, bilge pumps,cooling pumps and solenoid valves for firing K guns, etc (1:35 DD), would be very good to run it from a laptop. Cap
capricorn is offline Find More Posts by capricorn
Old Apr 14, 2010, 06:15 PM
Oklee, MN
Joined Sep 2009
289 Posts
Excellent!!, keep us imformed regarding the laptop control.

Well thank you for saying your in awe of Renown, believe me when i say i am in awe of your QM2!!

Just right now my 2 most looked at builds are your QM2 and heavycruiser9 LB, different ends of the size scale yet equally enthralling

What a great hobby we all have here!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrey225 View Post
I have been watching this build for a while now and am in awe at the sheer size of this ship, let alone the number of systems that you will be able to install in it. I cant wait for furter progress and sea trials.

This is exactly what I am trying to do with my QM2 model right now. The idea is based upon using a PIC microcontroler to interface with an XBee wireless module which links to a second module that plugs into a computer's serial port. The computer can then send instructuions via the wireless link to the microcontroler which has the potential to control a few dozen different motors and servos individualy. Just think.. a 50 channel proportional tranciever.
The beauty of this system is that it only cost about $100 to make and can give you a two way link so the ship can send you back data or even live camera feeds.

I will be buing the kit I need to start testing this idea in a few weeks. Then we shall see if it is even possible...