HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 09, 2009, 08:07 PM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,719 Posts
Evening Derek. Your idea of putting the steel on the bow sounds pretty good. I don't think the steel will rust as long as it's sealed top and bottom and the epoxy won't bother the metal at all. You must make sure the steel is absolutly squeeky clean though or the epoxy won't stick to it and coat the epoxy throughly over the whole bottom surface. Will you put epoxy on the top of the steel too or paint it? Either way it won't rust as long as moisture doesn't get to the metal. Otherwise it will rust. Why not use a piece of aluminum or even copper? Pete
norgale is offline Find More Posts by norgale
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 09, 2009, 08:18 PM
Oklee, MN
Joined Sep 2009
289 Posts
Thank you for your input here
firstly the underside of the steel is my concern, get that weather proof so no way it can come adrift......now the topside......rust i can live with a little!!.....realism!
i even thought of inlaying washers around the anchor holes in the hope of getting a real rust streak or two down the side of the hull

smoke box now has popped into my head, any design ideas are welcome, loads of space inside so can really go to town

thanks again for the advice
DerekCross is offline Find More Posts by DerekCross
Old Nov 09, 2009, 09:52 PM
Central Missouri,USA Along the banks of the Missouri River
Joined Jun 2005
1,734 Posts
I was thinking it was a little big for 1/96th scale. Its going to be a bit more difficult when it comes time to detail out as fittings are in 1/96 but not really any in 1/87th. Get looking build.
tim slocum is offline Find More Posts by tim slocum
Old Nov 09, 2009, 10:32 PM
Oklee, MN
Joined Sep 2009
289 Posts
fitting out

Yep Tim, i suppose everything will have to be made with a few compomises thrown in
I noticed today that there are a ton of life boats (11) which will be a long job coz i hate the small stuff!!
plus life rafts!
railings/handrails might be ok, ho train stuff if i can find some, also any stairs needed may well come from train sources.
wish i had my TRIANG/HORBY stuff from 40 years ago!!!

Secondary armament will be relativly easy, some top somewhere on some bottle or can will work i am sure for the turrets..wander around the local store tape measure in hand!!
i have a great plan for a british 15inch turret but damned if i can find it right now!!
Thanks for looking in
Derek

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim slocum View Post
I was thinking it was a little big for 1/96th scale. Its going to be a bit more difficult when it comes time to detail out as fittings are in 1/96 but not really any in 1/87th. Get looking build.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 12:02 PM
Menifee CA 92586
Joined Oct 2009
38 Posts
HMS Hood

You must be from the UK? I am doing the same sort of build , using up old scraps for a TID tug build. At the moment I have built the hull mold and will go to San Diego to buy the resin and fiberglass for the mold and finished hull, next week. I will start putting some photos on when I get a bit further on. Regards Martin Cross
martin cross is offline Find More Posts by martin cross
Old Nov 10, 2009, 12:06 PM
Menifee CA 92586
Joined Oct 2009
38 Posts
HMS Renown

Sorry I had HMS Hood in mind when I was typing - getting old. Martin
Old Nov 10, 2009, 01:05 PM
Oklee, MN
Joined Sep 2009
289 Posts
hey martin, we might be related!!!

yep from the Blackpool area in Lancashire originally, born in Fleetwood.

So i look forward to your photo's.......more fun!!
Old Nov 10, 2009, 02:51 PM
Union, Maine
Joined Jul 2006
4,243 Posts
Derek, epoxy won't rust steel.BUT! Why not paint the deck to look like steel, then you'll never have to worry about the possibility of having a piece of steel rust.
Jerome Morris is offline Find More Posts by Jerome Morris
Old Nov 10, 2009, 04:17 PM
Oklee, MN
Joined Sep 2009
289 Posts
i have decided to do that anyways Jerome, seems a lot easier

Had a naughty suprise that the hull forms are not accurate on the drawing so i have to adjust things a little when i start on the hull sides..luckily the deck of the bow section is oversize so everything will be ok, just some magic to do to make things look right
Old Nov 10, 2009, 07:57 PM
Menifee CA 92586
Joined Oct 2009
38 Posts
Place of birth

Flixton near Manchester 1929
Old Nov 10, 2009, 08:20 PM
Shanghai'd Expat
Xiaoshan, China
Joined Jun 2006
4,618 Posts
Derek, am curious to know what reference books you're using for the build? I've got several books on RN capital ships but nothing on Renown.
herrmill is offline Find More Posts by herrmill
Old Nov 10, 2009, 08:26 PM
Oklee, MN
Joined Sep 2009
289 Posts
No books at all herrmill, photos have been scrounged off the net.
I was on the hunt for a build and came across the plans for Renown and thought......Yup thats different.....so i am gathering any info i can from any place as i go.
Old Nov 11, 2009, 12:08 AM
Central Missouri,USA Along the banks of the Missouri River
Joined Jun 2005
1,734 Posts
Derek, google a company called plastruct, they have ALOT of ladders, stairs, shapes etc in HO. I got some odd parts for my 1/144th Bismarck.It will take you a while to look thru their catalog. Hope it helps.
tim slocum is offline Find More Posts by tim slocum
Old Nov 11, 2009, 12:49 AM
Shanghai'd Expat
Xiaoshan, China
Joined Jun 2006
4,618 Posts
Sent you a PM with info on some reference books you'll want to check out. I'm reading The Battlecruiser Hood now which should come in very handy for detailing your Renown.
herrmill is offline Find More Posts by herrmill
Old Nov 11, 2009, 09:26 PM
Oklee, MN
Joined Sep 2009
289 Posts
A few new pics, not that much happening this last couple of days.

The hull forms being wrong at the bow took the wind out of my sails a bit, no big deal actually but slightly annoying.
My fault actually coz i broke my own rule...never assume anything.
It would have been easy enough to check them from the get go.oh well...i needed that to slow me down a bit!!

A picture too of some salvaged motors and gears out of a printer to give folks an idea what can be got for nothing.....millions of these things world wide going into landfills..so save the planet and build a ship!!
could be my motto that actually!!