HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 08, 2009, 02:14 PM
KC9TPL- Get Legit
USA, IN, Bloomington
Joined Aug 2007
833 Posts
Build Log
HD FPV: Samsung HZ15W (wb550) uncasing for FPV

I'm working to uncase a Samsung HZ15W for FPV, because it will record 1280x720 at 30fps for up to 29 minutes AND send a simultaneous video feed out to the ground:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...9&postcount=17

There is a lot of discussion about the Panasonic FX35, but it is hard to find, more expensive, and cuts off video recording after about 8 minutes, leaving a blank screen for up to 8 seconds when you stop (or it stops) recording.

Head-to-head tests show the Samsung and Panasonic cameras to be very similar, with the exception that the Samsung is a little bigger and heavier. The lens itself may have some wind resistance, but I'm putting this on a twinstar which should compensate. It will also do optical image stabilization which can't be done in post-processing if you have an OSD.

This camera also has a very wide angle lens like the Panasonic. In fact, everything about this camera seems ideal for FPV except that
a) the lens is a little big
b) the stock camera is a little heavy and
c) no one has uncased it yet.

Another advantage of this camera is that it is getting cheaper: Amazon lists it for $253 in November, 2009, and in 6 months you'll be able to buy it from a place like Vanns.com for about $170.

I've ordered one and I will begin to take it apart, using techniques similar to the Panasonic uncasing. I'll document my progress here. I'm starting this build thread now to solicit input from the community. If you have experience with this camera, please add it to this thread.

Thanks,

Tom
BloomingtonFPV

EDIT: Posts 20 and 21 have the uncasing photos.
BloomingtonFPV is offline Find More Posts by BloomingtonFPV
Last edited by BloomingtonFPV; Nov 14, 2009 at 06:59 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 08, 2009, 03:19 PM
No thrust...It'll bust...
Troy, NH
Joined Sep 2006
4,357 Posts
I'll be watching Tom.

-Tim
troynh is online now Find More Posts by troynh
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 08, 2009, 09:05 PM
USA
Joined Feb 2008
209 Posts
Did you check out the Creative VadoHD? It has wide screen and 720p HD video, plus an a/v out that can be adapted for FPV I believe.
Capt'n Chris is offline Find More Posts by Capt'n Chris
Last edited by Capt'n Chris; Nov 08, 2009 at 09:19 PM.
Old Nov 09, 2009, 10:37 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,643 Posts
Did you check Sony Webbie?
I have done a great uncasing thread, and, due to the flat form factor, a la FCO, it can be used as is without any mod, better than any current market HD cam.
renatoa is online now Find More Posts by renatoa
Last edited by renatoa; Nov 09, 2009 at 10:59 AM.
Old Nov 09, 2009, 10:52 AM
Charlotte, NC USA
Joined Oct 2009
85 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RENATOA View Post
Did you check Sony Webbie?
I have done a great uncasing thread, and it can be used as is without any mod, better than any crrent market HD cam.
Does it have analog video output and will it output video signal work while recording?
fpvdavid is offline Find More Posts by fpvdavid
Old Nov 09, 2009, 10:59 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,643 Posts
Sure, but as a sidenote, the main weakness is 25 minutes limit of the recording.
Old Nov 09, 2009, 11:02 AM
Charlotte, NC USA
Joined Oct 2009
85 Posts
Is this limited by SD memory or battery?
fpvdavid is offline Find More Posts by fpvdavid
Old Nov 09, 2009, 11:06 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,643 Posts
None of them, the software cuts recording after 25 minutes.
If you hack it to press the record button with a servo at, say... every 10 minutes, then it is limited by the battery to about one hour recording time.
One hour in 1280 * 720 mode eats a 2G card, so no reason to buy a bigger one if no spare battery ($10) or camera charger at field. You have also an external plug to power the Sony Webbie, but not tried, the plug is Sony proprietary, not found it.
The card is MS, not SD !
Old Nov 09, 2009, 05:24 PM
Kul
Aerodynamics Grad Student
Joined Dec 2007
358 Posts
Quote:
None of them, the software cuts recording after 25 minutes.
If you hack it to press the record button with a servo at, say... every 10 minutes, then it is limited by the battery to about one hour recording time.
One hour in 1280 * 720 mode eats a 2G card, so no reason to buy a bigger one if no spare battery ($10) or camera charger at field. You have also an external plug to power the Sony Webbie, but not tried, the plug is Sony proprietary, not found it.
The card is MS, not SD !
Didn't you used to say that Aiptek HD was an even better camera?
Kul is offline Find More Posts by Kul
Old Nov 09, 2009, 06:12 PM
KC9TPL- Get Legit
USA, IN, Bloomington
Joined Aug 2007
833 Posts
One thing I've discovered is that what really matters the most is the quality of the lens. I got one of these:

http://www.vholdr.com/

that will do full 1080p. I was very underwhelmed by the video quality. I think in the end the pixel count is less important than the lens. The digital cameras live and die by the image quality, so finding one that will do HD will beat out the solid state digital camcorders.
BloomingtonFPV is offline Find More Posts by BloomingtonFPV
Old Nov 10, 2009, 12:23 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,643 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kul View Post
Didn't you used to say that Aiptek HD was an even better camera?
Hmmm... I have both, and can't decide which to keep.
Aiptek's 60 fps mode is great, but there are days when I HATE the right side of the screen zoom slider.
Also, you must uncase Aiptek and operate it blindly without LCD to have the Sony weight.
The convenience of Sony is unparaleled.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 12:23 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,643 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BloomingtonFPV View Post
One thing I've discovered is that what really matters the most is the quality of the lens. I got one of these:

http://www.vholdr.com/

that will do full 1080p. I was very underwhelmed by the video quality. I think in the end the pixel count is less important than the lens. The digital cameras live and die by the image quality, so finding one that will do HD will beat out the solid state digital camcorders.
But this camera has no video out !
Old Nov 10, 2009, 12:53 AM
Kul
Aerodynamics Grad Student
Joined Dec 2007
358 Posts
Quote:
Hmmm... I have both, and can't decide which to keep.
Aiptek's 60 fps mode is great, but there are days when I HATE the right side of the screen zoom slider.
Also, you must uncase Aiptek and operate it blindly without LCD to have the Sony weight.
The convenience of Sony is unparaleled.
Here is what you said a few weeks ago:

"Webbie cons:
- lack of 60 fps
- washed colors, but can be fixed in post-processing
- very difficult to make a pan mount, almost impossible for head itself, must pan the whole camera.
- recording time limited to 25 minutes ! For some people this could be a show stopper
"

And then you recommended Aiptek Action HD hands down. What changed since then? I'm still looking for a good pan/tiltable HD cam and need to pick one up soon so it would be ready for me during thankgiving and xmass break.

(I appologize for going off topic)
Kul is offline Find More Posts by Kul
Old Nov 10, 2009, 05:11 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,643 Posts
Sure, the above are still valid, if you want pan tilt, but this thread is about uncasing a camera, so my guess was he don't intend to go so far, only make it lighter.
At the end, for those not like or having skills to uncase, all depends how suitable is your plane to mount a camera or other.
Some planes simply can't accomodate a certain camera.
And, from these three approaches: pistol (aiptek), soapbox (Samsung and all compact cameras), and horizontal flat as Sony, with tiltable head as a bonus, the later is the easier to fly. Even mounted on a EG wing, at 10 cm lateral from fuse, to avoid fuse in frame, the balance of plane didn't changed a bit !
Old Nov 10, 2009, 07:27 AM
Stupid gravity!
Trinity, FL
Joined Jul 1999
1,516 Posts
My question is how do you input video from an OSD into these cameras for recording?
docphi is offline Find More Posts by docphi