HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 06, 2009, 08:46 PM
Just fly it!
Cody, WY
Joined Nov 2007
6,915 Posts
Discussion
My Hot Box

Here are some photos of my hotbox. There was a discussion in another thread about hot boxes so I thought I'd post photos and descriptions of mine.

WARNING: This could burn down your shop. Use this system at your own risk.

I use a small 120 volt base board heating unit to heat the box. Make sure that you get one that has a circuit that trips the unit off if it overheats (and turn back on automatically when the unit cools back down). I use a hot water heater thermostat to control the temps. The thermostat doesn't require a relay, so it can be simply wired into the main circuit that goes to the heating unit. I have added a fuse into the main circuit to protect the whole thing from going wacko.

All the foam panels are glued together with Gorilla Glue. I used 3.5" sections of bamboo skewer to pin it together until the glue dried. The entire box in made from two layers of 1.5" Dow Scoreboard (25 psi foam).

See the photo descriptions for more info.
wyowindworks is offline Find More Posts by wyowindworks
Last edited by wyowindworks; Nov 06, 2009 at 09:05 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 06, 2009, 10:01 PM
WTXRCDOG
West Texas
Joined Apr 2006
37 Posts
That is a great hotbox. I need one like that so I won't get in any more trouble with my wife for using the oven!!!!

Bruce
wtxrcdog is offline Find More Posts by wtxrcdog
Old Nov 07, 2009, 10:19 AM
Canada .the great
Joined Jan 2008
1,521 Posts
so that is what that blue foam is for? nice job... got any supergee pods coming out of that oven??? SL
soarluck is offline Find More Posts by soarluck
Old Nov 07, 2009, 10:23 AM
Just fly it!
Cody, WY
Joined Nov 2007
6,915 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by soarluck View Post
nice job... got any supergee pods coming out of that oven??? SL
Only if someone gets me a supergee mold.

Adam
Old Nov 07, 2009, 10:35 AM
Canada .the great
Joined Jan 2008
1,521 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyowindworks View Post
Only if someone gets me a supergee mold.

Adam
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...3#post13526553
soarluck is offline Find More Posts by soarluck
Old Nov 07, 2009, 12:47 PM
wishes this caption was longe
wilson, nc, usa
Joined Dec 2005
2,214 Posts
Nice box Adam!

Here is the temperature controller I have been using for my hotbox. I cut an extension cord in two and wired one end of the controller with the wall plug and the other with the receptacle head. That way I can move the controller between different size hotboxes. I use light bulbs wired in parallel as the heat source. Pretty simple set up.

http://www.rancoetc.com/ranco-etc111...ller-p-86.html
will_newton is offline Find More Posts by will_newton
Old Nov 07, 2009, 02:52 PM
Just fly it!
Cody, WY
Joined Nov 2007
6,915 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by will_newton View Post
Nice box Adam!

Here is the temperature controller I have been using for my hotbox. I cut an extension cord in two and wired one end of the controller with the wall plug and the other with the receptacle head. That way I can move the controller between different size hotboxes. I use light bulbs wired in parallel as the heat source. Pretty simple set up.

http://www.rancoetc.com/ranco-etc111...ller-p-86.html
I saw from one of your previous post that you were using that thermostat. It looks pretty nice. The down side to a hot water heater thermostat is that the temp. can fluctuate around 12*F. I might have to upgrade to that unit.

Adam
Old Nov 07, 2009, 07:19 PM
The Junk Man
Jacksonville, Florida
Joined Jul 2006
1,388 Posts
There are inexpensive temperature controllers all over eBay. Pick one that takes the old standard K-Type sensors. You can get K-Type sensors for a couple of bucks apiece, also all over eBay.

I have an old Johnson Controls unit that I have had forever, but there are new digital temperature controllers now very cheap.

Tom
T_om is online now Find More Posts by T_om
Old Nov 08, 2009, 10:15 PM
He bowls overhand
Falcon, Colorado
Joined Oct 2004
1,557 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyowindworks View Post
I saw from one of your previous post that you were using that thermostat. It looks pretty nice. The down side to a hot water heater thermostat is that the temp. can fluctuate around 12*F. I might have to upgrade to that unit.

Adam
The air temp fluctuates 12 degrees.. The surface temp MAY fluctuate 0.25 degrees. The water heater thermostats seem to have better resolution on the high temp scale, as you approach 150-180.

As an insurance to keep her from going nuclear, I suggest a second thermostat set to a ultimate high temp shutoff. This would both save your wings and the shop. fwiw, I only have one, and it is 4 years old, and has never had a problem!

Walmart sales on fans are great! $1.50 for a 6" fan, but they only last a few months!
threcixty is offline Find More Posts by threcixty
Old Nov 09, 2009, 12:18 AM
Twisted and Confused
Joined May 2003
4,309 Posts
Adam
can you give us some more details on the wiring for the thermostat? I've heard of using these hot water thermos' before but never actually got around to pulling one out to look at it.

thanks

Steve
flyonline is offline Find More Posts by flyonline
Old Nov 09, 2009, 12:55 AM
Just fly it!
Cody, WY
Joined Nov 2007
6,915 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonline View Post
Adam
can you give us some more details on the wiring for the thermostat? I've heard of using these hot water thermos' before but never actually got around to pulling one out to look at it.

thanks

Steve
Here you go. The thermostat need to be placed somewhere in the box with it's back open to the ambient air.

Adam
Last edited by wyowindworks; Nov 09, 2009 at 02:51 AM.
Old Nov 09, 2009, 06:38 AM
Twisted and Confused
Joined May 2003
4,309 Posts
Thanks, that's very similar to how I wired up my vac switch.

The couple of photo's I looked at had terminals everywhere but I found a wiring diagram that explains how they work - much easier with some helpful info!

Steve
flyonline is offline Find More Posts by flyonline
Old Nov 09, 2009, 09:50 AM
Composites guy
North OC, Ca.
Joined Jun 2005
1,179 Posts
Just a side note:

After working in the attic this weekend, I am putting a vacuum line and large shelf up there because it gets darn hot even in November( yeah it is Socal).

I don't think my attic gets hot enough to damage the foam but it does get to 115F( where the attic fan turns on). Heats up right on cue( about 11 Am) and I can build really big wings if I want to.

Something to think about
Scott
sarmoby is offline Find More Posts by sarmoby
Old Nov 09, 2009, 08:35 PM
wishes this caption was longe
wilson, nc, usa
Joined Dec 2005
2,214 Posts
I've cured parts in my car on hot summer days.
will_newton is offline Find More Posts by will_newton
Old Nov 11, 2009, 04:03 PM
Cleveland Cuyahoga, Ohio, United States
Joined Dec 2000
401 Posts
Half a 55 gal drum painted black on asphalt parking lot= 143f, but you have to keep an eye on it for temps. I propped one side up when it got to 140f!!!
JIM CALDWELL A is offline Find More Posts by JIM CALDWELL A