SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 06, 2009, 08:56 PM
Brushless
Joined Mar 2009
2,073 Posts
Discussion
New AP platform coming together -

Here is my latest platform for AP
More tricopter - Outside this time - Amazingly stable - (2 min 9 sec)
- I was wanting something very portable - You can see the progression here - http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1130341 - I had the g-10 frame cut today - This is the plywood version so it it not nearly as durable - Thanks to Signguy for all his help on this - I am looking forward to taking some pictures with this one - I have to say it is very durable - I have flipped it over 360 on accident and broke nothing - also flew it into the wall with some bad settings in my tx and no damage -

Mike
cdi3d is offline Find More Posts by cdi3d
Last edited by cdi3d; Nov 07, 2009 at 01:31 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 06, 2009, 10:07 PM
Begin with end in mind...
Eagle Lake, Minnesota
Joined Apr 2003
5,613 Posts
Hi Mike,

I have been interested in the Quad/Microkopters for some time but the learning curve and availability of parts keeps me steering away.

Just a few questions..

What are we talking for price as far as components go? (the good stuff )

I am not familiar with the function as far as control goes with the Tricopter, I must say it looks cool flying around but it does not look like you will be flying under any bridges anytime soon as the hovering looks to be a bit of a challenge. Will it lock in a hover or do you have to keep chasing it? I really like the idea. I just want something very stable.

Thanks,

Mike
power is offline Find More Posts by power
Old Nov 06, 2009, 11:06 PM
Swansea, Massachusetts
Joined Dec 2004
2,088 Posts
Hi Power

Here is a list of parts.

DT 750 motor X3 http://hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store...utrunner_750kv
$12 $36

Speed controls X3
http://hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store...d_programmable)
$10 $30

BEC X1
http://hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store...oise_Reduction
$9

speed control programmer X1
http://hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store...ogramming_Card
$7

Battery X? this battery works great.
http://hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store...00mAh_3S1P_20C
$14

3.5mm connectors X2
http://hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store...idproduct=4136
$4

Gyro X3
http://hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store...Digital/Analog)
$34 $102

Yaw gyro X1
http://hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store...zo_Gyro/Futaba
$24

Volt warning A must have!!!!
http://hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store...ery_Monitor_3S
$4

This is $230, you still need wire, battery plugs, a servo, and rec/transmitter

This will get you a stable platform able to carry 6-10 oz
you just have to build a frame... see Mike above.
signguy
signguy is offline Find More Posts by signguy
Old Nov 06, 2009, 11:26 PM
Brushless
Joined Mar 2009
2,073 Posts
Hey Mike - Signguy pretty much summed it up - It will not lock into a hover but it gets pretty close when trimmed properly - I found I have some play in my yaw mech so it has been making it difficult to stay steady - Watch a few of Bob;s videos on vimeo and I bet he could fly under a bridge with his - He is the master - I am transitioning back into this - I started in Helis but it has been a while since I have flown one - If you watch some of the videos on the thread in my first post you will see some of what these machines have to offer - I like the idea of being able to fly straight up 200' and take a picture and fly back down with out having to make a full pass - also the portablility is sweet - Hope this helps -

Mike
Old Nov 06, 2009, 11:46 PM
Swansea, Massachusetts
Joined Dec 2004
2,088 Posts
Hey Mike

Get that thing out of ground effect. get to two feet, maybe three, and the hover will be much easier.
here is a vid I just took in the garage. This is my AP machine. Just took all the props off, balanced them, lubed the motors, straightened one motor shaft. Now it is very stable. Flying inside does mix up the air a bit, outside, this will fly hands off for 15 - 20 seconds at a time. Mind you, it will be moving about, but within a 10 foot circle.

here is a vid from the key chain camera vimeo still needs to finish converting.....
indoor flight (1 min 51 sec)

signguy
Old Nov 07, 2009, 12:22 AM
Brushless
Joined Mar 2009
2,073 Posts
WOW - Bob that was great - Really shows how stable it is - Nice job! Hope mine will be like that once I get that tail fixed - The cat didnt seem to like it

Mike
Old Nov 07, 2009, 09:39 AM
Rich Hill Missouri 64779
Joined Nov 2003
8,400 Posts
Very nice! I too, am very interested in the Tri-copter.
quailbird is offline Find More Posts by quailbird
Old Nov 07, 2009, 02:01 PM
Brushless
Joined Mar 2009
2,073 Posts
updated video - Took it outside - Lots of power never went over 1/2 stick - was afraid it would blast off - Very stable

Mike
Old Nov 07, 2009, 04:03 PM
Rich Hill Missouri 64779
Joined Nov 2003
8,400 Posts
I like the new video! I will start buying parts I guess! I want one soooo bad! Hey! Would the new carbon Slow stick tubes make good booms if they were reinforced with Gorilla glue on the inside?
quailbird is offline Find More Posts by quailbird
Old Nov 07, 2009, 04:44 PM
Design > Build > Fly
Arizona, USA
Joined Feb 2005
3,908 Posts
Very nice! I kept expecting it to float to one side or the other and start ripping up props on something. Good show.
Qrome is offline Find More Posts by Qrome
Old Nov 07, 2009, 05:00 PM
Swansea, Massachusetts
Joined Dec 2004
2,088 Posts
Here is a new video of an outside flight. Wind was 5 mph, 55 degrees, taken with a keychain cam strapped to a set of sunglasses. There are even some flips, and leaf herding !! At the end I fold it up for storage. Hope you like it......
The AP copter (6 min 13 sec)

Bob D AKA signguy
Old Nov 07, 2009, 05:40 PM
Eagle Lake, Minnesota
Joined Apr 2003
5,613 Posts
Ok Dude... That updated video sold me Be prepared for a few questions. Better yet, could you post your exact component setup and TX settings.

I will no doubt copy your setup to get my feet wet, but is there any benefit to higher end gyros and esc's?? I would like to use Castle Creation Esc's and AXI motors. The Gyros I know very little about, as in whats good and whats not, or if it even matters.

Thanks again, it looks like you got the hang of that thing. It flys great!

Mike
Old Nov 07, 2009, 05:56 PM
Swansea, Massachusetts
Joined Dec 2004
2,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by power View Post
Ok Dude... That updated video sold me Be prepared for a few questions. Better yet, could you post your exact component setup and TX settings.

I will no doubt copy your setup to get my feet wet, but is there any benefit to higher end gyros and esc's?? I would like to use Castle Creation Esc's and AXI motors. The Gyros I know very little about, as in whats good and whats not, or if it even matters.

Thanks again, it looks like you got the hang of that thing. It flys great!

Mike
Hey Power

Gyros are a funny thing, some very high end gyros don't like to drive speed controls. The telebees are really good, and proven. I know turnigy, and super simple speed controls from Hobby City are working great with the gyros. The more resolution on the speed controls the better. ( I don't think castle has any better resolution than turnigy, and the ss speed controls are turnigy in a different wrapper)
as far as motors go, use anything you want in the 700-1000 kv range. This design "should" scale to a very large size without problems. The motors and parts I listed are all proven, the tail gyro could be an e-sky, but just about anything will work. No need for heading hold on the tail, a rate gyro works better.
The frame can be foam with tape, to g10 with carbon booms. I use wood, cheap, easy to fix, absorbs shock and vibration, and its CHEAP

If you stick with what is listed, you WILL have a working tricopter in little time. What transmitter do you use?? I have all the programming for an OPTIC 6 from hitec, and the eurgle/turnigy/Imax9 2.4 radio.

keep flyin'

Bob D
Old Nov 07, 2009, 06:01 PM
Eagle Lake, Minnesota
Joined Apr 2003
5,613 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by signguy View Post
Hey Power

Gyros are a funny thing, some very high end gyros don't like to drive speed controls. The telebees are really good, and proven. I know turnigy, and super simple speed controls from Hobby City are working great with the gyros. The more resolution on the speed controls the better. ( I don't think castle has any better resolution than turnigy, and the ss speed controls are turnigy in a different wrapper)
as far as motors go, use anything you want in the 700-1000 kv range. This design "should" scale to a very large size without problems. The motors and parts I listed are all proven, the tail gyro could be an e-sky, but just about anything will work. No need for heading hold on the tail, a rate gyro works better.
The frame can be foam with tape, to g10 with carbon booms. I use wood, cheap, easy to fix, absorbs shock and vibration, and its CHEAP

If you stick with what is listed, you WILL have a working tricopter in little time. What transmitter do you use?? I have all the programming for an OPTIC 6 from hitec, and the eurgle/turnigy/Imax9 2.4 radio.

keep flyin'

Bob D
Thanks Bob,

I will follow your setup. My main TX is a JR 8103 I am still flying FM as I us all 2.4 for downlink components. Will there be any issues with my TX? I have full blown everything on it

Mike
Old Nov 07, 2009, 07:02 PM
Brushless
Joined Mar 2009
2,073 Posts
Mike - I wold be glad to help any way that I can - Lord know you helped me though a couple of builds - - AXI motors would be great on here but at x3 a little to spendy for me - But the low KV would be great and the efficiency. The gyros that Bob listed work great not sure if CC would work. My tricopter is strictly for AP work but it is so much fun to fly that I am sure I will just play around with it. I even had a small crash today(orientation thing) about 15' feet up and flew it into a tree hard = Didn't even brake a prop and it flew right after with not fixes - I was amazed - I think the folding arms saves alot in crashes - Qualibird - I am not sure about the new SS booms - The ones I got from hobby city are the same size and half the price - not to mention that they have the round interior which I think adds some strength - I have used the SS booms before and find that they crush really easy - these don't seem to suffer the same fate as those -

Mike