SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 05, 2009, 09:00 PM
Syracuse, NY (USA)
Joined Dec 2004
2,727 Posts
Discussion
Green Lakes State Park (Central NY State)

You can find info on Green Lakes on wikipedia. They are very rare type of lake. They are a glowing green color due to minerals in the water, and the fact that the water doesn't "turn over" like most lakes do a few times per year.

There is another lake (Round lake) past the far end of this lake, but the trees are hiding it. I hoped to get both lakes from this angle, but Round Lake has steep deep hills all around it (which is why it's also a green lake). I wish I had taken this a few weeks ago before the leaves fell, but it's been windy, rainey, and my kids have been sick (H1N1; etc).

Oh, Robert Trent Jones designed the golf course in the background many decades ago. Very hilly area. The golf course is quite a bit higher up than where I was standing (same level as the beach), but aerial pics flatten/hide the hills.

It's backilit unfortunately. This image is one of the best. I was shooting southwards around 1:30PM, and this time of year that means shooting into the sun.
Block is offline Find More Posts by Block
Last edited by Block; Nov 05, 2009 at 09:06 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 06, 2009, 10:18 AM
Rich Hill Missouri 64779
Joined Nov 2003
8,399 Posts
I think that is a beautiful picture. Great fall color!
quailbird is offline Find More Posts by quailbird
Old Nov 06, 2009, 10:27 AM
Norbert
Graz, Austria
Joined Feb 2006
1,581 Posts
As Carl said!
Nicely done!
Cheers,
Norbert
EyP3 is offline Find More Posts by EyP3
Old Nov 06, 2009, 02:32 PM
Registered RC Abuser
United States, NY, Bernhards Bay
Joined May 2006
375 Posts
Nice to see local spots here, looks great!

I am on the north shore of Oneida Lake. I know the Jamesville area pretty well.

A friend and I had planned to get some video over Green Lakes, maybe next year...
transient is offline Find More Posts by transient
Old Nov 06, 2009, 03:34 PM
Nova Scotia
Joined Mar 2002
753 Posts
That's a very pretty picture and interesting about the"green" lakes. Lot's of potential here for more beauties
Cheers!
Bolter
Bolter is offline Find More Posts by Bolter
Old Nov 07, 2009, 09:25 PM
Syracuse, NY (USA)
Joined Dec 2004
2,727 Posts
Thanks - I did not see any replies until now. Channel 9 tonight it for photo of the day during the 6PM weather forcecast tonight.

I have pics of Oneida from Oneida Shores park...flew there 2 years ago and again this year in May during the HobieCat races. My in-laws used to have a cottage halfway down the north shore - Bernard's Bay? A coworker lives even further east (we work in Liverpool - a long drive for her!). I live in the Baldwinsville/Phoenix area.
I might fly on the ice when they do the car races this year. It's so darn cold though!

I've shot many of the Finger Lakes, 1000 islands, Syracuse, Old Forge, Cooperstown, Myrtle Beach; etc. I'll post an Oneida Lake pic.
Old Nov 07, 2009, 10:26 PM
Registered RC Abuser
Joined May 2006
375 Posts
Congrats on the photo pick!

Nice shot of the Shores too...

I only do video, here is one of my better stills, from the north shore in Constantia.
Still was enhanced slightly.
Old Nov 07, 2009, 10:47 PM
Syracuse, NY (USA)
Joined Dec 2004
2,727 Posts
Which islands are those..Not Frenchmens - isn't Constantia at the east end? Oh, I see on googlemaps it's right acors from Frenchmens, I was wrong.
That's where the guys get their cars onto the ice - some bar in Constantia.

I've considered flying at Sylvan beach (or the other beach down there), but it's a long drive, and would it be any more interesting then Oneida Shores...
From Oneida shores, rt 81 and even the nuke plant on Lake Ontario are visable. Oh, I also flew at Fort Ontario and got nice pics of the cooling tower.
Last edited by Block; Nov 07, 2009 at 10:52 PM.
Old Nov 07, 2009, 11:18 PM
Registered RC Abuser
Joined May 2006
375 Posts
Constantia is right in the middle yes. Sylvan Beach is another we'd like to do as well..

Friend of mine wants to get the Lighthouse, and the house from the air, yes there is an abandoned house! It even looks quite inhabitable. He has pictures from a few years back when he did take his sled out. He wants aerial, but it would have to be via snowmobile on the ice. Not a great transport for an RC plane lol. Also we'd like to get the sled drags at Borio's (I think), but like you said temps are an issue.

Sounds like you have covered some ground in your aerial pursuits!

I'm sure other people would like to see more of your photos as well as I...
Old Nov 09, 2009, 09:00 PM
Syracuse, NY (USA)
Joined Dec 2004
2,727 Posts
Channel 9 news used the Green Lakes pics over the weekend for photo of the day. I saved the video from their site to my computer.

I'm not familiar with the lighthouse. I've been to Borios, and used to have a HobieCat (12 years ago) at the marina near Borios.

I have some pics here:
http://s639.photobucket.com/albums/uu112/CNY_AP/

and here:
http://www.printroom.com/ViewGallery...ery_id=1556095
(hopefully you can get to other galleries from there?)

I gotta go - I'm playing hockey at the Cicero rinks tonight.
Old Nov 09, 2009, 09:48 PM
Registered RC Abuser
Joined May 2006
375 Posts
Great stuff Block... really liked the Otisco winter shots. Do you have any special winter AP mods, lipo blanket/ camera protection?

Do you use a trans'mitt' or just gloves for the hands?

Any tips there would be most helpful.

Top notch work!
Old Nov 10, 2009, 09:29 AM
Syracuse, NY (USA)
Joined Dec 2004
2,727 Posts
I think all I used are latex gloves to keep wind off, which isn't enough when it's only around 30-35 degrres. I got to Otisco right after the car race ended. Hopefully thsi winter on Otisco or Oneida I'll take pics.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 02:34 PM
Vermont
Joined Apr 2007
352 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by transient View Post
Great stuff Block... really liked the Otisco winter shots. Do you have any special winter AP mods, lipo blanket/ camera protection?

Do you use a trans'mitt' or just gloves for the hands?

Any tips there would be most helpful.

Top notch work!
Can't remember who but somebody posted some pics taken when -20 degF (-29 C) and said he used thin gloves and kept the tx under his jacket. He poked the antenna through a hole in his jacket and didn't use the sleeves. Maybe it was buttoned up and not a zipper? Don't know how he kept the lipo and cam battery warm but the pics were good. I was impressed.
soft2 is offline Find More Posts by soft2