HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 24, 2010, 12:32 PM
Joined Dec 2004
76 Posts
lights and sirens

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX Slope Pilot View Post
So decided to make the best of it and kicked back in the sun and enjoyed the peace and quiet.

Vic
Peace and quiet? You must have left before the fire trucks showed up to rescue the paraglider stuck in the tree! I just heard about it now. Steve
steveseibel is offline Find More Posts by steveseibel
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 24, 2010, 12:39 PM
Build A Rocket Boys!
Portland, Oregon
Joined May 2002
4,034 Posts
Wow Steve! They must have shown up after we left. We headed out with the 3 paraglider pilots that hiked to the top. There was no one on the Butte when we left. This guy must have shown up after 3:30 p.m. Hope he is ok.
PDX Slope Pilot is offline Find More Posts by PDX Slope Pilot
Old Jan 24, 2010, 02:40 PM
Joined Dec 2004
76 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX Slope Pilot View Post
Wow Steve! They must have shown up after we left. We headed out with the 3 paraglider pilots that hiked to the top. There was no one on the Butte when we left. This guy must have shown up after 3:30 p.m. Hope he is ok.
That's too weird. The newspaper article said the call was around 3:30. Maybe they got the date wrong and it wasn't Saturday at all.
Old Jan 24, 2010, 02:48 PM
Joined Dec 2004
76 Posts
mystery solved

It was a hang glider that launched off the top launch by the towers.
Old Jan 25, 2010, 11:07 PM
United States, OR, Tualatin
Joined Apr 2005
2,556 Posts
I went to PB today to see Brian McLane maden his new Apex 2, but enough south wind never showed up. We had SSE wind at 8 to 10 that turned south for a few minutes at at time. I flew my 48" foam JW wing, but it was scratching for lift most of the time. I gave up and left around 1:30. Steveseubel had the longest flight of the day with a light sloper (Talon?).
TomFlyer is offline Find More Posts by TomFlyer
Old Feb 05, 2010, 02:46 PM
Joined Apr 2005
2,556 Posts
We were supose to have a PASS slope race this Saturday and I was looking for south wing at PB: No such luck for this Saturday. South wind at Pacific City to fly off the dune but not a good place for a race because it is so busy with the sand dune climers. 60% rain at Pacific City however.

The road to the top of PB is supose to be getting repaired, but does any one know when?
Old Feb 09, 2010, 02:43 PM
Joined Dec 2004
76 Posts
Road closure alert Petersons Friday Feb 12

For repair. Shooting for 8AM and taking about half a day. Of course, it will probably be soarable. Park by the farmhouse and hike up with your favorite glider? Leave room for the gravel truck to roll by.

Steve Seibel 541-990-4633
Old Feb 09, 2010, 03:54 PM
Joined May 2001
2,950 Posts
Is there a thread or list-serv or some other system whereby RC guys know when someone is thinking of going out (specifically I'm thinking of Peterson)? Or do people just kind of go when it feels good and meet whoever else happens to think the same, when they get there?

I've never sloped at Peterson's but would like to start. I used to paraglide there. I built a Spirit Elite for the purpose of taking it to Peterson but it looks so nice I've had second thoughts about crunching it so soon. I am now putting together a Multiplex EasyGlider to sacrifice first.

Luke
LukeZ is offline Find More Posts by LukeZ
Old Feb 09, 2010, 07:58 PM
Will fly for food
Bellevue WA,
Joined Dec 2003
6,979 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeZ View Post
I am now putting together a Multiplex EasyGlider to sacrifice first.

Luke
Good plan
davidjensen is offline Find More Posts by davidjensen
Old Feb 10, 2010, 04:51 PM
Yes, ALL your money...
A hut in the woods in Oregon
Joined Jan 2003
2,501 Posts
Looks like Thursday might be good if it's between squalls...
winchdoc is online now Find More Posts by winchdoc
Old Feb 10, 2010, 11:20 PM
Build A Rocket Boys!
Portland, Oregon
Joined May 2002
4,034 Posts
Luke, we're not too organized. We normally communicate amongst ourselves or post something here. Since you're in Corvallis, I'd look outside to see what it's doing. Up here in Portland we rely upon radar and wind forecasts at the various airports (Eugene, Corvallis, and Salem). If I see a consistent pattern of building S wind I head down. As you know it typically blows SE in the morning at Petersons then starts to switch S-SW in the afternoon. The least favored wind direction is SE. It's flyable but not as fun as when it straightens out. Hope to see you out there sometime. Can't say I've had a stellar flying weekend day at Petersons for quite sometime. Winds have been < 10 mph on most my trips. Perhaps it's the weather cycles. Up here in Portland we typically get a strong S wind during the winter months but the storm rotations lately have been causing E winds which is really strange. Hope the best winds are yet to come!

Saturday also looks about S 10-15 mph on the hill with less chance for precip. I have my girls this weekend so can't make it. Have fun all.

Vic
Who's praying to the wind gods... SRTL is chompin at the bit. "Give me some air!"
Old Feb 11, 2010, 09:15 AM
Joined Apr 2005
2,556 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeZ View Post
Is there a thread or list-serv or some other system whereby RC guys know when someone is thinking of going out (specifically I'm thinking of Peterson)? Or do people just kind of go when it feels good and meet whoever else happens to think the same, when they get there?

I've never sloped at Peterson's but would like to start. I used to paraglide there. I built a Spirit Elite for the purpose of taking it to Peterson but it looks so nice I've had second thoughts about crunching it so soon. I am now putting together a Multiplex EasyGlider to sacrifice first.

Luke
Hi Luke:

I would be happy to add you to the email list of Portland Area Sailplane Society (PASS) slope flyers. I use it to send out announcements about slope contest and slope fun-fly events. Click on my name in this post to go to my page and send me an email or private message with your email address.

Tom
Last edited by TomFlyer; Feb 11, 2010 at 09:16 AM. Reason: spelling
Old Feb 11, 2010, 03:51 PM
Joined May 2001
2,950 Posts
Thanks Tom and Vic for the replies. Tom I sent you an email about the PASS list...

Well I'm subscribed to this thread so as you say Tom, I will just keep my eyes open. I sit all day at my computer at a south-facing window where there are four flags within view, so I can keep track of the wind pretty well (at least here in Corvallis). Today the rain has held off and although a bit light the wind could perhaps be soarable out at Peterson. Of course, I have to work. The forecast for Saturday appears to show lighter and lighter winds each time I check, but I will plan on going out there anyway just to see what happens. The Easy Glider should be done by then.

Luke
LukeZ is offline Find More Posts by LukeZ
Old Feb 11, 2010, 10:49 PM
Joined Dec 2004
76 Posts
Cancel the Friday road closure at Peterson Butte

Hi all-- more news--the foreman called me this afternoon-- he needs to put off the Petersons road work till next week. So for now, everything is like usual-- the butte is open, the road is rough. I'll post again when I know the new target date. Steve Seibel 541-990-4633
Old Feb 11, 2010, 11:57 PM
Build A Rocket Boys!
Portland, Oregon
Joined May 2002
4,034 Posts
Luke,

From the wx sites I'm looking at, Saturday is looking better and better. But of course we never know until the day comes. Just trying to give you a little hope for that Easy Glider maiden.

Vic