HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 21, 2010, 06:35 PM
United States, OR, Tualatin
Joined Apr 2005
2,354 Posts
Great day at PB: Sunny, not to cold, wind out of the south. 12 to 15mph from 10:00 to 12:00, then it steped up to around 20 mph from 12 to 1:00. Flew my 48" JW to warm up and then my 2 meter Vector 2. Put out the F-20 into the 20 guesting to 24 wind for a few passes until I got to low and to far east and landed in the back berries. Got it out, no damage. Fun time. Hang gliders lauched at noon and were still up when Cap and I left at 1:30.
TomFlyer is offline Find More Posts by TomFlyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 21, 2010, 07:17 PM
Feeling lucky .... Punk
United States, TX, Irving
Joined Sep 2007
489 Posts
#$&?*% retired guy's
joel63 is offline Find More Posts by joel63
Old Jan 21, 2010, 08:42 PM
Yes, ALL your money...
A hut in the woods in Oregon
Joined Jan 2003
2,368 Posts
Well, lucky YOU, Tom!
What about tomorrow, Vic?
winchdoc is offline Find More Posts by winchdoc
Old Jan 21, 2010, 10:22 PM
Joined Apr 2005
2,354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joel63 View Post
#$&?*% retired guy's
I need you to keep working so I can continue to collect my social security
Last edited by TomFlyer; Jan 22, 2010 at 08:44 AM.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 10:24 PM
Joined Apr 2005
2,354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by winchdoc View Post
Well, lucky YOU, Tom!
What about tomorrow, Vic?
Sorry doc, but I think I used up all the south wind today
Old Jan 21, 2010, 11:26 PM
Californicated User
Portland, Oregon
Joined May 2002
3,908 Posts
Hey Doc...let's watch it. Saturday is forecasted to be a slightly better than Friday. But all the crying might have helped; at least the southerly flow has been restored! If it's decent, I'll do both days.
PDX Slope Pilot is offline Find More Posts by PDX Slope Pilot
Old Jan 22, 2010, 11:59 PM
Californicated User
Portland, Oregon
Joined May 2002
3,908 Posts
Good flying at the Butte today. Had a day off so headed down early afternoon and got several hours of flying in with the Sting F3F. Conditions were moderate; only 8-12 mph, but very smooth. Had the SRTL but it just didn't feel like enough to toss it. Raining in Portland all the way down but it stopped just south of Albany. Ian from Salem was there with friend flying too. Some beautiful eagles sightings. Angus cows occupied the LZ so had to do some low level flying to scare 'em off - interesting one of them even wanted to challenge my car on the road up!

Vic
Old Jan 23, 2010, 12:18 AM
Joined Apr 2005
2,354 Posts
Way to go Vic: with the rain in Portland I did not think that you would have a dry day at PB. Gland it worked out. Wife wants to do some whale watching at the coast tomorrow, so PB is out for me Sat. But Wednesday the 27 looks like stonger south winds of PB.
Old Jan 23, 2010, 12:23 AM
Californicated User
Portland, Oregon
Joined May 2002
3,908 Posts
Have fun at the coast Tom. Joel and I are planning to head down tomorrow as well.
Old Jan 23, 2010, 12:46 AM
Bend, OR
Joined Sep 2003
180 Posts
Saturday at Peterson Butte and Apex 2M pics

This one is RTF, 300 hr project cant wait to fly it.
If the forecast hopefully looks better at 6:00 AM Saturday I plan to head over.
regards,
Brian
mccomposites is offline Find More Posts by mccomposites
Old Jan 23, 2010, 01:28 AM
Californicated User
Portland, Oregon
Joined May 2002
3,908 Posts
Beautiful! Hope you can make the trip over Brian. Would love to see your Apex fly.

Vic
Old Jan 23, 2010, 01:44 AM
Joined Apr 2005
2,354 Posts
Brian: What are the speck on your Apex 2M? Did you use the DS19 airfoil that is on your Extreme designs or some new killer airfoil? It looks fantastic!
Old Jan 23, 2010, 09:38 PM
Californicated User
Portland, Oregon
Joined May 2002
3,908 Posts
What a difference a day makes....

Decided to make it a twofer and headed down to the Butte again w/ Joel. As you can see...all of you not there missed an abundance of sunshine. Today was a 10; the only thing that would have made it better was a little WIND! Forecast was shaping up nicely; flags were blowing good on the ride down from Portland; but alas, an inversion of some sort settled in on the east side of the valley so we had no wind. Puzzling since we could see signs of wind from rising smoke down by I5. So decided to make the best of it and kicked back in the sun and enjoyed the peace and quiet.

Vic
Old Jan 23, 2010, 09:45 PM
Joined Dec 2004
76 Posts
Hi Petersons fliers/ road improvement plans

Hi all. I'm sure I've met most of you, I'm the one with the Ford Festiva, hang glider, and handful of RC gliders.

Very weak lift today! Thursday was epic for two of us hang glider pilots, I got lots of nice aerial photos of eagles etc.

Several of us frequent users-- including an owner of construction company who is offering to donate some free equipment time plus expertise-- are hatching a plan to improve the bad spot on the road in the near future so that it will not degrade to the point where ordinary passengers cars can't get up and down.

Some funds will be needed. Mr. Wheeler mentioned that he is still holding onto 300$ donated in the past by Dieter and never used. The hang gliding and paragliding clubs will likely donate some amount. If several clubs donate several hundred dollars each we can get this covered.

I'll keep you posted with more specifics very soon. See you on the butte!

PS the landowner is enthusiastic about this project and offered to help in several ways including the use of some digging equipment, but there are some maintenance issues with it and it seems better to go with mini trackhoe that our excavation company owner will donate the use of. Anyway it is nice to see that this will benefit him as well as us as the family has been so generous in allowing us the use of the butte all these years.

I have not frequented RC groups since about a year ago (too dangerous, I wander over to the classifieds and end up with expensive toys!) but I will check in often now while this subject is relevant...

Steve
steveseibel is offline Find More Posts by steveseibel
Old Jan 23, 2010, 10:03 PM
Joined Dec 2004
76 Posts
Peterson bird's-eye views

Enjoy these aerial shots--

I have more that better show the whole hill and RC flying area, will post later.... Steve

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3788966...7623271372360/

PS in the future should make a point of taking aerial pics of the RC action, and posting them here.....
steveseibel is offline Find More Posts by steveseibel