SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 08, 2013, 07:31 PM
United States, OR, Tualatin
Joined Apr 2005
2,667 Posts
Wind was 25 steady wiht 29 mph peaks at PB today. Got there at 11:30 and flew my Vector 2 twist wing. Zoom-Zoom. great fun with giant loops, Cuban 8's and figure 8 inverted. Little bid of a hard landing but it was flat that broke the rudder servo loose. Wanted to do a second flight, but the battery was a little low. Think I will replace it with a LiFe battery. Tried to launch my F-20 to no avail as it is pretty heavy. Think I will start using my catapult launcher for those heavy PSS beasts.
TomFlyer is offline Find More Posts by TomFlyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 08, 2013, 10:15 PM
United States, OR, Corvallis
Joined Mar 2007
212 Posts
I got a late start so I missed TomFlyer. Must have gotten to PB around 2:15 or so and flew until 4. My wife was along and took a few pictures. I'll have to get them off the camera and post them in a bit.
Tom
tomleach is offline Find More Posts by tomleach
Old Jan 08, 2013, 11:22 PM
Joined Mar 2007
212 Posts
Couple of pix from today. Had a good afternoon. Nobody else was at PB while I was there, except for some hawks (and a scar-y monkey).
Tom
Old Jan 10, 2013, 08:32 AM
slope'n the Colombian Andes
Colombia, Antioquia, Girardota
Joined Mar 2001
4,700 Posts
Nice shots of the Scar. I wish I still had one. It's basically a faster, stronger Stork 2 Pro. It's production was short-lived, because by the time it was released (1999), it had missed its target (F3B competition) by a mile. However, it inadvertantly had become an outstanding unlimited slope racer.
I miss Peterson Butte a little, but I'm happy not having to wear astronaut suits on the slope anymore... : )

Dieter Mahlein, ShredAir
ShredAir is offline Find More Posts by ShredAir
Old Jan 27, 2013, 02:02 AM
Build A Rocket Boys!
Portland, Oregon
Joined May 2002
4,055 Posts
Any wind down there today? How about Sunday?
PDX Slope Pilot is offline Find More Posts by PDX Slope Pilot
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:57 AM
Portland Intl, Oregon, United States
Joined Jul 2003
1,159 Posts
Hi Vic,

Weather Spark shows some today but I kinda doubt it by looking out the window here in Mac.
http://weatherspark.com/#!dashboard;a=USA/OR/Lebanon

I'm out for today but let us know if you go.

TIM
A6INTRUDER is offline Find More Posts by A6INTRUDER
Old Jan 27, 2013, 01:13 PM
Joined Mar 2007
212 Posts
Ditto here in Corvallis. Should be blowing 7 by now but nada. Still watching out the window and I might still try heading over around 11 or 12, but if I go, I'm bringing one of the spinny disk things too.
Tom
Old Jan 27, 2013, 02:28 PM
Build A Rocket Boys!
Portland, Oregon
Joined May 2002
4,055 Posts
Thanks for the wind reports Tim and Tom. I think I'll stay home and build instead. Have fun out there Tom. Now that the inversion has lifted hopefully there are betters days in the near future.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:50 AM
Olympia, WA
Joined Nov 2002
81 Posts
Portland Area

Guys,

Not sure if this will help any but I guess you never know.

Last week I was in Portland all week for work and had some of my flying gear with me (after stopping by PB on MLK day). On the last night of my stay at the Embassy Suites out by the airport, someone broke into my truck. They smashed a window in the cab and one in the canopy. From the bed, the were able to grab my field/flight bag. This utility bag is green nylon with black trim and it contained an Airtronics RD8000 tx, field tools, spare servos, rx batteries, spare rx's, hosemonster bungie, and misc parts/supplies. Guess I got "lucky" since that was the only thing they got out of the bed, leaving my planes and another radio box. I think they just took what they could reach from the small side window. Unfortunately, I wasn't so lucky with the cab since they were able to unlock the door once the window was broken.

These items will probably never show up but our flying "community" is pretty small so I thought it might be worth putting the word out there. I have been staying at that property for work related trips for quite a few years and never had a problem. The Portland police and Hotel did not have other reports of break-ins in the area at that time. Guesss I was just in the wrong spot at the wrong time.......

Keith
glidrguy is offline Find More Posts by glidrguy
Old Jan 29, 2013, 01:14 AM
Build A Rocket Boys!
Portland, Oregon
Joined May 2002
4,055 Posts
Ahh. That sucks. Sorry for your loss, Keith. Oregon has not been nice to you lately. First it took your plane a few months ago and now this. I'll keep an eye out for it, but it's likely in the hands of some meth head somewhere. If you have a SN on the tx maybe PPB can enter it just in case the perps try to pawn it.

How was the flying on MLK day?
Old Jan 29, 2013, 01:49 AM
Olympia, WA
Joined Nov 2002
81 Posts
Oregon

Vic,

Thanks. Sometimes these things just come in "streaks". Oh well....

Thanks for the tip on the SN. Police never asked for that but I will have to take a look and see if I can find one and add it to the police report. Flying on MLK at Peterson was a complete washout. We still had the inversion going but I made the trip anyway figuring I could at least fly electrics and DLG. The fog was so thick on PB that I could not see more than about 25 ft or so. Between the frozen ground and the thick fog, it was nearly a "white out". No big deal. I still got to visit my daughter in Monmouth and made it back to Portland for my work week. Unfortunately the week did not end so good. I will be back to try it again on Presidents Day since I have to spend that week in Portland too.

Keith
glidrguy is offline Find More Posts by glidrguy
Old Feb 01, 2013, 10:48 AM
Yes, ALL your money...
A hut in the woods in Oregon
Joined Jan 2003
2,521 Posts
PB was great today 17-24 straight in, smooth laminar wind with no thermal cycles or squalls. Got the 2 Paces wrung out pretty well. I dialed in the flap ele comp and tried a clever new mix to use in landing mode. (thanks, Darwin!)

Flew the snot out of my tweedy Rotor as well. The TTGU is a must have- it makes landing a TWF so much easier.

I also flew a new mystery plane which I tell about in my blog

WinchDoc

who needs to fly more often
winchdoc is offline Find More Posts by winchdoc
Old Feb 01, 2013, 12:17 PM
United States, OR, Tualatin
Joined Apr 2005
2,667 Posts
Doc: What about your X-Plane?
TomFlyer is offline Find More Posts by TomFlyer
Old Feb 05, 2013, 09:15 PM
Joined Mar 2007
212 Posts
Looks like the wind may be decent (not great) tomorrow, anyone thinking of going? I'm going to try to go at lunch if I don't get too busy.
Also, last time I was up there, there were a few potholes starting in the road, any objections to dumping a couple of buckets of 3/4" minus in them to bring them up level? Thought I would ask before going and buying some rock.
Tom
Old Feb 05, 2013, 11:25 PM
Build A Rocket Boys!
Portland, Oregon
Joined May 2002
4,055 Posts
Tom,

Sounds like a good idea with the 3/4 minus. Better to catch it now before the holes get too large. If more is needed I'll haul some bags up myself when I go next. Hope you have a great time tomorrow.

R,
Vic