SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 20, 2012, 01:30 PM
The Willamette Valley, Oregon
Joined Dec 2008
1,235 Posts
sunlight

Splashes of sunlight rolling through Corvallis now and then, and PLENTY of wind... Steve
aeronaut999 is offline Find More Posts by aeronaut999
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 20, 2012, 10:21 PM
United States, OR, Corvallis
Joined Mar 2007
222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by killercando View Post
Never been to Peterson but Wingnut and I are heading down early tomorrow morning for a 2 day trip. Hope to see some locals out there. Lee
Lee, had a great time flying with you and Ken (and Jason and Steve )
It rained something fierce on Monday so it was good you didn't stick around, but as Steve said, today was partly cloudy and pretty rain free. Only problem with today was I had to work!

Ken, I lied to you, when I got back home, I weighed my Slope Monkey and it's AUW was 10.7 ( I think I said 9.6 or something thereabouts). Since I covered the tail and forgot to move the radio gear forward, I had to put a bit over 1oz in the nose!
Anyway, flew fine in the winds we had, just would have been nice to not have to put dead weight in it.
I used a Frsky receiver from Aloft which weighed in at 3 grams while the Corona 72Mhz that Adam used weighed in at about 9 grams. I should have moved the battery, receiver and probably the elevator servo ahead quite a bit, but I wasn't sure how much and what the weight distribution would be of the tape and goop (which, of course, is all applied after you embed the radio )

Anyway, it all worked out OK in the end and it's a fun flyer.
Hope to see you guys down at PB again soon, or maybe Eagle if I ever make it over there.
Tom
tomleach is offline Find More Posts by tomleach
Old Nov 21, 2012, 01:21 AM
Certifiable User
United States, WA, North Bend
Joined Mar 2011
1,004 Posts
I had a great time Sunday. I really enjoyed the terrain and the view. The tighter than I am used to LZ was great to. A little choppy in the AM then it smoothed out after lunch, very nice.

Sorry I didn't get to BS more but I was too busy flying. I need to learn how to take more pictures. The only ones I have Ken took for me. Wow the bald Eagles were cool. Definitely will be back, hopefully with the family. Lee
killercando is online now Find More Posts by killercando
Last edited by killercando; Nov 21, 2012 at 01:23 AM. Reason: spelling
Old Nov 21, 2012, 01:19 PM
Joined Dec 2008
1,235 Posts
Its blowing a smooth steady 25 mph at petersons now, with big openings between squalls... steve
Old Nov 21, 2012, 02:50 PM
slope'n the Colombian Andes
Colombia, Antioquia, Girardota
Joined Mar 2001
4,710 Posts
Well Steve, if I were there, I'd be there. Stop teasing the poor wretches who have a real job. Good to see that you have a great early season this year. If the usual, month-long high pressure in January fails to show up, you might have a record season.

Dieter Mahlein, ShredAir
ShredAir is online now Find More Posts by ShredAir
Old Nov 21, 2012, 03:23 PM
Old skool speed freak!
Napa, Ca
Joined May 2004
514 Posts
It's been a year since I was out there at petersons, and I miss it, but I'm presently waiting out a sqaul here at Coquile point near Bandon

It is awesome on the coast right now!
Sorry to rub it in Shredair
Mike R
vinmech is offline Find More Posts by vinmech
Old Nov 22, 2012, 11:57 PM
Olympia, WA
Joined Nov 2002
82 Posts
Lost Plane

Hey guys,

A couple of weeks ago I launched my Mini Graphite from PB. It went out straight and true but found out it had no power (don't ask me how, I tested all controls as I was walking to the launch area). I watched in horror as it sailed out and began a slow right turn and headed towards the school house out on the main road. We (Dan, Tim and I) watched as it continued a slow right bank and then it gradually got steeper as it went down and around the SE corner (kind of headed toward the mobile home you pass on the right as you drive up the road after the last gate). I walked quite a bit of the area down the SE ridge but it is steep and has lots of trees/shrubs/blackberries. Looked to us like it might have been in the general area of the power lines that head up the hill. Anyway, there was no sign of the wrecked plane that we could come up with.

If any of you are in a hang glider and happen to be over the SE end of the Butte, please keep your eyes out for a white top, purple bottom wing with a white fuselage. Not sure if anything is recoverable but I would like to know where it ended up. Luckily, things were pretty wet and we did not see any smoke so I am confident the 3s lipo remained intact. What a bummer.........

Please contact me by PM if anything shows up. Thanks!!!

Keith
glidrguy is offline Find More Posts by glidrguy
Last edited by glidrguy; Nov 25, 2012 at 02:44 AM. Reason: typos
Old Nov 23, 2012, 12:38 AM
Joined Dec 2008
1,235 Posts
friday?

* looks good for Friday, the models vary on whether the rain will roll in around 1 or hold off till around 4. Looks like a good day to show up early and see what happens... Winds a bit on the lightish side but not bad...

* I'll keep my eye out for that lost plane, also will ask around

Steve
Old Nov 23, 2012, 10:02 AM
Portland Intl, Oregon, United States
Joined Jul 2003
1,173 Posts
I was with Keith when his plane went down. I witnessed him test the controls and motor just before launch. It was so sad to see it disappear out of sight.
If you drew a line from the school building at the road, straight up to the microwave towers, that is last point that we could see it. By the time it went out of sight it was getting pretty low,maybe about half way down the hill.
As Keith said, it was headed to the right as if going for the mobile home. I went into the pasture below the hill and scoured it with field glasses as Keith traversed the hill. But no joy.
Please keep your eye out for it, maybe as the trees shed leaves it will become visible.

TIM
A6INTRUDER is offline Find More Posts by A6INTRUDER
Last edited by A6INTRUDER; Nov 23, 2012 at 07:33 PM.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 10:11 AM
USA, WA, Olympia
Joined Jan 2001
1,239 Posts
Those are really good descriptions of where the mini-graphite might be. The ironic thing is that we recovered that JW from last season the same day. It was pretty much a basket case but the servos survived! If I thought it would appease the "landed-out" gods I would put it back in the woods to get the Mini-G back.

Dan
dang is online now Find More Posts by dang
Old Nov 23, 2012, 06:12 PM
Joined Dec 2008
1,235 Posts
Well, the wind started increasing and straightening out from the earlier easty flow around 1230ish. The rain rolled in soon after 2. A nice window of good air for the first flight of the 2 meter Spider after its repairs last spring. Notable fellow aviators included 2 rougb-legged hawks and 3 bald eagles. Steve
Old Nov 25, 2012, 03:26 PM
pnc
USA, OR, Eugene
Joined Jun 2009
330 Posts
You havent flown it since ?

And I hurried so....
pnc is offline Find More Posts by pnc
Old Dec 01, 2012, 01:49 AM
Joined Dec 2008
1,235 Posts
Yeehaw!

I predict good flying at Peterson Butte on the first day of December! I'm bringing the big gliders and the little ones too... Steve
Old Dec 01, 2012, 01:53 AM
Joined Dec 2008
1,235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnc View Post
You havent flown it since ?

And I hurried so....
Yeah, a servo was screwed up, I hurried out there last April with best intentions of flight but noticed that I had no elevator control just in time. Then May came along and it's time to hang glide here, there, and everywhere. I've only made a few trips to the Butte since. Including one today, the Spyder was up there rolling and looping. Thanks again Pete!
Old Dec 01, 2012, 01:05 PM
Yes, ALL your money...
A hut in the woods in Oregon
Joined Jan 2003
2,536 Posts
heading south this morning
winchdoc is online now Find More Posts by winchdoc