Old Mar 26, 2012, 02:41 AM
pnc
USA, OR, Eugene
Joined Jun 2009
294 Posts
I wish

Pete
pnc is offline Find More Posts by pnc
Last edited by pnc; Mar 26, 2012 at 10:55 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 26, 2012, 11:30 AM
Pat Chewning
USA, OR, Beaverton
Joined Sep 2009
303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomleach View Post
Anyone going to be at Peterson tomorrow (Monday)? Wind looks good and the rain looks like it will not be a problem. I hope to be there around 10am and I have to leave at noon.
Tom
Working today, wish I was going to PB
pchewn is offline Find More Posts by pchewn
Old Mar 26, 2012, 11:32 PM
Build A Rocket Boys!
Portland, Oregon
Joined May 2002
4,002 Posts
Espada R Checkout Flight...

Nice day out at Peterson Butte this afternoon. I had to pay a visit to OSU with my girls today so decided to bring the Espada R along to give it a checkout (maiden) flight before my trip to the Tri-Cities in a few weeks. Wind was 10-15 mph WSW; great conditions for the maiden. Everything went smoothly on the first flight, but the model was begging for ballast. So I loaded it up to the max. with brass (38 oz). Once it was on step it really got cranking; not bad at all for an F3J glider. Roll rate is a little lack luster but I'll see if that can be fixed with some additional tuning. The Espada R is a definite keeper!
PDX Slope Pilot is offline Find More Posts by PDX Slope Pilot
Old Mar 27, 2012, 12:18 AM
United States, OR, Corvallis
Joined Mar 2007
200 Posts
Hey Vic, glad you found some good lift. I got there about 10 and it was foggy and pretty dead. Was able to get a small DLG up for a bit then it was too light even for it. Had to leave around 11:45 but was able to stop by again around 5. Much better, strong lift and was able to fly the heavier stuff.
That Espada R looks nice, sorry I missed it.
Tom
tomleach is offline Find More Posts by tomleach
Old Mar 27, 2012, 10:48 AM
Build A Rocket Boys!
Portland, Oregon
Joined May 2002
4,002 Posts
Hi Tom,

Sorry I missed you. I left at about 4:30, so must have just missed you. I'm glad I waited a little later to head up based on your report. When I arrived there was a hang glider in the air way up on the top shelf. He stayed up there the entire time and was having no problem venturing way out over the valley. A few jelly's were there when I arrived but they got blown back and decided to pack it up.

Vic
Old Mar 28, 2012, 04:40 PM
The Willamette Valley, Oregon
Joined Dec 2008
1,143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX Slope Pilot View Post
Hi Tom,

Sorry I missed you. I left at about 4:30, so must have just missed you. I'm glad I waited a little later to head up based on your report. When I arrived there was a hang glider in the air way up on the top shelf. He stayed up there the entire time and was having no problem venturing way out over the valley. A few jelly's were there when I arrived but they got blown back and decided to pack it up.

Vic
Yeah it was great Monday. Beautiful cumulus clouds in the AM but dead winds on launch, a couple of electric RC sailplanes probed the lift and found some nice thermals, clearly the air was very unstable. By the time I got up to the top launch (east summit, by the tall towers) with 2 other hang glider pilots, a high overcast had come in, my friends launched first and sunk out. When I launched it was still not quite ridge-soarable but enough to minimize the sink rate and find some nice thermals despite the overcast-- in fact the thermals were punchy enough that I didn't want to work too close to the terrain / towers. It was funny looking at eye level at the guy working about halfway up the tower. The best climb involved a 1500' gain to 3100' above sea level or about 1500' above launch level. As the day went on the wind slowly increased till it became no-brainer ridge soarable, but the thermals died off. I watched the paragliders and was hoping they weren't going to end up in the trees.... Was surprise that there was still almost no wind in the field in front of the east summit when I landed, it may be sort of sheltered by those hills way to the south (north of Brownsville) when the winds are straight southerly, and the overcast limits thermal mixing-- but NOAA radio was saying gusts to 27 in Eugene so I figured landing might be prudent....

I have some videos of the flight that I'll post later...
I did observe at least one RC glider in the air while I was flying....

Steve
aeronaut999 is offline Find More Posts by aeronaut999
Old Mar 28, 2012, 04:42 PM
Joined Dec 2008
1,143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeronaut999 View Post
I did observe at least one RC glider in the air while I was flying....

Steve
That big yellow one, that was the one! Steve
Old Mar 28, 2012, 04:44 PM
Joined Dec 2008
1,143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dang View Post
BTW, We lost a black and orange JW 60 over the back. You can see it at the top of one of the trees just north of the last fir and west of the road. If anyone gets hold of it I'll buy you lunch or something. It's also a good excuse to get back down there soon!

Dan
I haven't read this thread in a while, didn't know about the plane, has it been recovered yet? I'll keep an eye out for it if not... Steve
Old Mar 28, 2012, 04:47 PM
Joined Dec 2008
1,143 Posts
Today was up at PB with Pete, blowing 30 many gusts 35 some 37-40... only Pete braved the winds w/ his little Destiny wing with the black stubby custom fuse-- there was a set-up issue with the plane and there may be some rather exciting in-flight video footage as a result, keep your fingers crossed... Steve
Old Mar 28, 2012, 08:14 PM
Joined Mar 2007
200 Posts
Hey Steve, when I went back on Monday evening (around 5) there was a lone hang glider above the East tower and he then flew off towards the S maybe SSE. He never came back and there was no vehicle at PB so I figured that he launched from some other site. Any idea where? Was a bit worried for a while that he was going to land out in the fields south of PB but he didn't seem to be loosing much altitude and after a while I lost sight of him.
Sorry I missed everyone, sounds like early/mid afternoon was the time to go.
Tom
Old Mar 29, 2012, 07:55 PM
Joined Dec 2008
1,143 Posts
view from that hang glider Monday

Quote:
Hey Steve, when I went back on Monday evening (around 5) there was a lone hang glider above the East tower and he then flew off towards the S maybe SSE. He never came back and there was no vehicle at PB so I figured that he launched from some other site. Any idea where? Was a bit worried for a while that he was going to land out in the fields south of PB but he didn't seem to be loosing much altitude and after a while I lost sight of him.
Sorry I missed everyone, sounds like early/mid afternoon was the time to go.
Tom
That was me Tom-- I launched from the top by the towers (east summit) about 3:25 and landed about 5:20-- 2 other pilots launched 10-20 minutes before me and sunk out, too light-- I couldn't quite maintain in the ridge lift at first but there were good thermals that got me up nice and high-- then the thermals died out as the wind got stronger and the overcast got thicker--

The landowner (not the Wheelers) charges an access fee for use of the road up, it's a steep 4WD road, not great for RC because not great landing options

When I fly there I usually have a car down by the landowner's farmyard and so I don't land in the usual places

It was a surprise to be able to go so far south, the lift extended quite a ways in front of the hill. Also a surprise to find such very light (5 mph) wind down in the landing field-- I was expecting some shear turbulence as a result but it wasn't too bad...

Here are some videos:

Launching, rear view:
Peterson Butte top launch 3-26-12 rear view (1 min 23 sec)

Launching, forward view:
Peterson Butte top launch 3-26-12 forward view (2 min 7 sec)

Thermal climb early in flight:
Thermal climb after launching from Peterson Butte top launch 3-26-12 forward view (3 min 31 sec)

Glide out to landing:
Peterson Butte glide out to landing after 2-hour flight, 3-26-12, forward view (5 min 29 sec)

Steve
Old Mar 29, 2012, 08:02 PM
Joined Mar 2007
200 Posts
Steve, did you put the white streamers on the fence down by the gate on Monday? I didn't remember them being there in the morning but they were there in the evening when I came back.
Did you hike your glider all the way up to the east hill? Dang, that's a good hike. I've gone up to the west hill top from the normal RC flying area and thought I was going to need an med-evac outta there
Well, glad you made it back OK.
Tom
Old Mar 29, 2012, 08:03 PM
Joined Mar 2007
200 Posts
Ah, posted before watching the vids, I see a 4 wheeler up by the tower so you must have gotten a ride.
Tom
Old Mar 29, 2012, 08:36 PM
Joined Dec 2008
1,143 Posts
Quote:
Steve, did you put the white streamers on the fence down by the gate on Monday? I didn't remember them being there in the morning but they were there in the evening when I came back.
Did you hike your glider all the way up to the east hill? Dang, that's a good hike. I've gone up to the west hill top from the normal RC flying area and thought I was going to need an med-evac outta there
Well, glad you made it back OK.
Tom
Yes-- the streamers will come and go-- I prefer not to leave them up in general as they eventually shred and leave microlitter scraps downwind-- it was actually blowing from the north though, lightly, when I put them up in the morning (probably just a thermal)-- on most of the days we fly Petersons the wind direction is obvious but you never know--

No, no hiking of gliders for me (except for RC gliders!) -- you can see the road in the rear-looking launch camera video and at times in the other videos too.. but I have hiked the whole length of that road once from the valley floor to the top to retrieve a vehicle....
Old Mar 29, 2012, 09:08 PM
Build A Rocket Boys!
Portland, Oregon
Joined May 2002
4,002 Posts
Hey Steve.. so.that was you! Man, you were way the heck up there on that flight. Nice videos. Interesting to see how it looks up on the south top of Petersons. I think you were gliding out to land when we were leaving because my girls told me it looked like you were chasing towards us as we were headed down the hill! Like Tom, I was curious where you launched because I didn't see a vehicle. Mystery solved.

Vic