Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 16, 2012, 08:24 PM
United States, OR, Tualatin
Joined Apr 2005
2,441 Posts
The road is in good shape since it has was repaired last spring. Further up the hill at the steeper section, the asphalt is failing and it is just a matter of time before it will break up totally. If we drive slow and do not abuse the road, it will last longer.
TomFlyer is offline Find More Posts by TomFlyer
Last edited by TomFlyer; Jan 17, 2012 at 01:21 AM. Reason: spelling
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 16, 2012, 08:43 PM
Build A Rocket Boys!
Portland, Oregon
Joined May 2002
4,000 Posts
You did a great job on the road Tom. Thank you! My hope is that people go easy over the repair area too. The guys I know are really trying to be careful and go slow over that area. When I was there the other day I saw a small white Ford Fiesta (?) with a hang glider on top rippin' down the hill. Could hardly believe what I was watching! Completely unsafe for a one lane road. Just hope they aren't going that fast and carelessly up the hilll and that no one was on their way up the hill at the same time. On another occasion someone brought their unleashed large dog up and it was walking and stepping dangerously close to our molded planes. I think we really need to respect others and the privileges we have been given to have access to this fine site. Where is Dieter when you need him?! I know he wouldn't tolerate this type of thing...
PDX Slope Pilot is offline Find More Posts by PDX Slope Pilot
Old Jan 17, 2012, 01:28 AM
United States, OR, Tualatin
Joined Apr 2005
2,441 Posts
Thanks Vic. A lot of credit goes to my contractor friend for donating his time. All in for gas to get his dump truck with trailer hauling the excavator to and from the site plus materials, the repair ran right at $1,000. of donated funds. About half of the funds were donated by the hang glider club. It took 2 days of to take the mud hole down to firm sub grade and then placed filter fabric on the clay soil, then the drain pipe bedded in drain rock, filter fabric over that, then rock fill over with 7 yards of 3/4-0 crushed rock on top. The removed material was dumped in the ditch where the road edge was being undercut by the runoff. Hopefully it will hold up
TomFlyer is offline Find More Posts by TomFlyer
Last edited by TomFlyer; Jan 17, 2012 at 11:00 PM. Reason: clarity
Old Jan 17, 2012, 01:35 PM
The Willamette Valley, Oregon
Joined Dec 2008
1,122 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX Slope Pilot View Post
You did a great job on the road Tom. Thank you! My hope is that people go easy over the repair area too. The guys I know are really trying to be careful and go slow over that area. When I was there the other day I saw a small white Ford Fiesta (?) with a hang glider on top rippin' down the hill. Could hardly believe what I was watching! Completely unsafe for a one lane road. Just hope they aren't going that fast and carelessly up the hilll and that no one was on their way up the hill at the same time. On another occasion someone brought their unleashed large dog up and it was walking and stepping dangerously close to our molded planes. I think we really need to respect others and the privileges we have been given to have access to this fine site. Where is Dieter when you need him?! I know he wouldn't tolerate this type of thing...
"Fiesta" sounds too much like "Festiva", which I drive. That white car is Dwayne, I'll say something to him. It's some sort of 4WD (believe it or not) Japanese compact car, on its last legs. Yeah, please don't come down fast, because I need to go UP fast, so I have momentum to coast through the gravel without spinning the wheels, hitting it about 20 mph is best. In an ideal world we would all only be driving 4-WD cars over the repair but that's not the reality of it.

The dog issue could be a real concern. That's the kind of thing that could lose us access, because farmers are touchy about dogs and livestock. There has always been a no-dogs rule at Petersons. Not to be too dogmatic becase maybe it was someone who had cleared it with the Wheelers or something but short of that, dogs should not be running around up there.

We ought to put a new sign up on the gate that tells that and all the other rules. The hang gliding club was going to do it years ago but it fell into the hands of one guy who is notorious for over-doing projects to the point of perfection and it is still in his garage not quite finished.

As you said the other day Tom, we should get some more gravel up there. A protruding lip of pavement is starting to show on the uphill side of the repair and it is no doubt going to start to break up very soon....

Steve
aeronaut999 is offline Find More Posts by aeronaut999
Old Jan 17, 2012, 06:57 PM
Build A Rocket Boys!
Portland, Oregon
Joined May 2002
4,000 Posts
The guy who had the unleashed dog was driving a large Dodge (?) 4x4 truck with a hang glider on it. Sorry, I didn't think to take down any other information. I mentioned my concern to him about having a dog running around unleashed; he agreed and said it was probably "not too smart" of him but he still let the dog continue walking around unleashed??!! I presume he took my comments as a personal affront.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 10:34 AM
slope'n the Colombian Andes
Colombia, Antioquia, Girardota
Joined Mar 2001
4,679 Posts
yeeehaa!

Looks like it's blowin' fer a spell... but will you need diving gear?

Dieter Mahlein, ShredAir
ShredAir is online now Find More Posts by ShredAir
Old Jan 19, 2012, 11:38 AM
Joined Dec 2008
1,122 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShredAir View Post
Looks like it's blowin' fer a spell... but will you need diving gear?

Dieter Mahlein, ShredAir

We've had some sweet days lately (Sat, Sun, Mon) but yes-- now we are back to our regularly scheduled deluge!

Steve
Old Jan 19, 2012, 11:42 AM
Joined Dec 2008
1,122 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX Slope Pilot View Post
The guy who had the unleashed dog was driving a large Dodge (?) 4x4 truck with a hang glider on it. Sorry, I didn't think to take down any other information. I mentioned my concern to him about having a dog running around unleashed; he agreed and said it was probably "not too smart" of him but he still let the dog continue walking around unleashed??!! I presume he took my comments as a personal affront.
OK this is getting ridiculous-- time for a new sign for the gate!

Feel free to keep me in the loop about any concerns you (anyone) have about anyone's behavour that may jeopardize safety or continued site access-- as one of the "frequent flyers" I'd like to do what I can to help things go smoothly....

Steve
Old Jan 19, 2012, 12:06 PM
Build A Rocket Boys!
Portland, Oregon
Joined May 2002
4,000 Posts
Thanks Steve. I really haven't had much of any problems there at all. Paragliders, hang glider pilots, and slope guys for the most part have all been a good bunch!

Glad the South flow has started once again and it feels much warmer out there already.

Vic
Old Jan 21, 2012, 10:57 AM
Joined Dec 2008
1,122 Posts
Hey, it's not raining, and the wind is blowing! Steve
Old Jan 21, 2012, 08:30 PM
Pat Chewning
USA, OR, Beaverton
Joined Sep 2009
303 Posts
Steve (aeronaut999) and I had PB all to ourselves today. It was great! Sure, there were 2 short (15 min) showers, but the rest of the time was good slope/thermal soaring with tons of lift.

Right after the 1st big shower, the wind changed from steady SSW15 to WSW10 and it got much colder. That was when it changed from pure slope soaring to a mixture of slope/thermals.

We even wore our sunglasses later and could see SHADOWS on the ground!

Lots of hawks and eagles to play with.

It was a great day.
pchewn is offline Find More Posts by pchewn
Old Jan 21, 2012, 09:35 PM
Joined Dec 2008
1,122 Posts
Ditto all that! A very nice day at PB....

Steve
Old Jan 21, 2012, 10:15 PM
Build A Rocket Boys!
Portland, Oregon
Joined May 2002
4,000 Posts
Good call on the wx guys. Glad you had good conditions. I would've been there if I didn't have other obligations this weekend.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 04:58 PM
Pat Chewning
USA, OR, Beaverton
Joined Sep 2009
303 Posts
Probably going to PB Sunday morning.... I looks like I need to be there early and get flying before the rain starts around 1pm....
pchewn is offline Find More Posts by pchewn
Old Jan 29, 2012, 11:31 AM
Build A Rocket Boys!
Portland, Oregon
Joined May 2002
4,000 Posts
Let us know how it went Pat. I could have gone but didn't feel all that motivated to get down there early today. Looks like good wind today though.