HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 15, 2012, 01:53 AM
Philomath, OR
Joined Jun 2006
14 Posts
Hey Guys,

It's Will. I've just decided to go ahead and post them myself Anyway, there was a great group up on the hill. I had tons of fun. I need a heavier plane, though.

It's much easier for me to upload the images to flickr rather than rescale them to fit in the size limits of RCG. (Flickr link) Make sure you look around the set. That's just the link to the first photo.

The video I took is already posted on youtube here
hpux735 is offline Find More Posts by hpux735
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 15, 2012, 06:41 AM
slope'n the Colombian Andes
Colombia, Antioquia, Girardota
Joined Mar 2001
4,710 Posts
Wow! Great video! Thanks for taking the time to make and post it. The sky and background remind me why I used to prefer yellow planes, while here I can see white ones better. And looking at the bundled up pilots, I realize how much I DO enjoy the climate here.
That Big Ceres and Scar need ballast. I can't believe the sign has held up all these years in the sun; must be about 7 by now?

Dieter Mahlein, ShredAir
ShredAir is offline Find More Posts by ShredAir
Old Jan 15, 2012, 10:42 AM
United States, OR, Tualatin
Joined Apr 2005
2,701 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyjack View Post
Just got home an unpacked, it was great to meet and fly with everyone today, I had a blast!

Creg
Great to meet you Creg and thanks for the launch my Vector 2. You did some nice flying.
TomFlyer is offline Find More Posts by TomFlyer
Old Jan 15, 2012, 10:44 AM
Joined Apr 2005
2,701 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpux735 View Post
Hey Guys,

It's Will. I've just decided to go ahead and post them myself Anyway, there was a great group up on the hill. I had tons of fun. I need a heavier plane, though.

It's much easier for me to upload the images to flickr rather than rescale them to fit in the size limits of RCG. (Flickr link) Make sure you look around the set. That's just the link to the first photo.

The video I took is already posted on youtube here
Thank you for the video post. My Vector 2 made the cut for a launch at least. Glad you did not video my landing.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 10:46 AM
Joined Apr 2005
2,701 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomleach View Post
It was fun seeing/meeting everyone today. Good crowd. I'll get the pictures/videos's that Will took and get them up on RCG as soon as I can.
Tom
Great to meet you! You had some great flights and nice landings.
Tom F.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 10:47 AM
Joined Apr 2005
2,701 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pchewn View Post
AldiJ is flying tomorrow.
Pat: Sorry that I did not recognize you in your arctic gear. Great day and no real carnage.

Tom
Old Jan 15, 2012, 11:21 AM
Philomath, OR
Joined Jun 2006
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomFlyer View Post
Thank you for the video post. My Vector 2 made the cut for a launch at least. Glad you did not video my landing.
I looked for more video of you flying it around, but I didn't really have any. I had video of the landing, but it went behind the cars, so it wasn't interesting.
hpux735 is offline Find More Posts by hpux735
Old Jan 15, 2012, 11:40 AM
Build A Rocket Boys!
Portland, Oregon
Joined May 2002
4,059 Posts
Thanks for posting the photos/video hpux735! Nice work. When you hear the chains clangin' in the background you know it's a good day at PB.

Dieter, you're absolutely correct (as always). The BC needed ballast. I've been so jaded with the forecasts lately that I forgot to bring ballast along! This trip restored my hope.

Vic
PDX Slope Pilot is offline Find More Posts by PDX Slope Pilot
Old Jan 15, 2012, 11:52 AM
The Willamette Valley, Oregon
Joined Dec 2008
1,234 Posts
Slick roads

Roads are slippery now, snow on above-freezing ground can be slick (snow on frost-covered ground after a clear night even slicker!). Looks like snow showers will come through all day long. If I go to Petersons today I'll probably have to park below at the wide spot and hike up. Let's not anyone fall off the road into the ditch so the Wheelers have to come out with a tractor! Steve
aeronaut999 is offline Find More Posts by aeronaut999
Old Jan 15, 2012, 11:56 AM
Slopers Anonymous
USA, WA, Graham
Joined Feb 2002
249 Posts
Good work on the video and photos! It shows how much it was really ripping, it felt like more.

Hey Dieter!
The yellow plane is the Tragi 701 you advised me to grab for my first F3X sloper. I picked up a cross tail fuse for it with a ballast tube, I'm carrying about 3lbs in the vid. It's definitely my go to plane in most conditions now.

Creg
bobbyjack is offline Find More Posts by bobbyjack
Old Jan 15, 2012, 12:14 PM
pnc
USA, OR, Eugene
Joined Jun 2009
330 Posts
Where can I get a scar (sailplane) ?
pnc is offline Find More Posts by pnc
Old Jan 15, 2012, 07:23 PM
United States, OR, Corvallis
Joined Mar 2007
221 Posts
Dieter, The scar had a WinchDoc joiner but no other ballast in the wing. My next task is to locate some brass rod for additional ballast for the wing tubes.
That should be much easier then finding a joiner!
Even light, it flew great.
Tom
tomleach is offline Find More Posts by tomleach
Old Jan 15, 2012, 07:28 PM
United States, OR, Corvallis
Joined Mar 2007
221 Posts
Hi Pat, I don't believe that they have been made for quite a few years. The one I picked up was missing a wing joiner and I had Dieter scouring the Internet looking for one for me. Eventually I found someone here on RCG that was selling a WinchDoc joiner and I grabbed it. Since then, I've found a CF one from the UK that also worked.
If finding a joiner is any indication (it's the same joiner as a Wizard and some others), you're going to have a tough time finding the whole plane
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnc View Post
Where can I get a scar (sailplane) ?
tomleach is offline Find More Posts by tomleach
Old Jan 15, 2012, 08:21 PM
slope'n the Colombian Andes
Colombia, Antioquia, Girardota
Joined Mar 2001
4,710 Posts
Yup, the Scar is history. What an unlimited slope racer it could have been! But it was too expensive for that. It was SUPPOSED to be an F3B world beater, priced accordingly. Never made it: early versions, prematurely released, were too heavy and too bendy, making Joe Wurts dub it the "Scar-y." Later versions (which is what Tom has) were much better, but by then it was too late for F3B fame. So it got chalked up to experience, which was then applied to the Stork II F3J plane, which also never became famous. Two good "sleeper" planes on the side lines.
Now back to regular Peterson Butte programming...

Dieter Mahlein, ShredAir
ShredAir is offline Find More Posts by ShredAir
Old Jan 16, 2012, 02:34 PM
The Willamette Valley, Oregon
Joined Dec 2008
1,234 Posts
Petersons Sunday

Petersons was decent yesterday in medium to light winds, flew the Spyder and the old Talon, started flying in the sunshine with some thermally action, then flying in snowflakes, then ended up flying inside a cloud whose base was somewhere down in front of launch. Lots of eagles around, and a peregrine.

Maybe good right now? Wonder if I can get up the road...

Steve
aeronaut999 is offline Find More Posts by aeronaut999