SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 05, 2009, 05:01 PM
United States, NV, North Las Vegas
Joined Sep 2009
1,075 Posts
Discussion
Who's bearing's do you use?

So I've got 30 or so flights on my EXI 450... starting to notice a vibe here and there and I'm seeing some slop in the bearings... Probably could replace the dampners as well. Anyway, Who's bearing you guys have the best luck with for rex clones? Avid? Align OEM? I hope its not Boca... they have always been proud of the bearing they sell I know I've had very good luck with Avid in my car's/truck's...anyone use them in heli's??
shultz is offline Find More Posts by shultz
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 05, 2009, 05:49 PM
USA, WI, Wauwatosa
Joined Nov 2007
230 Posts
I use Boca stuff...why not? What do you mean, about Boca being proud of the bearings they sell?

Just take some calipers, measure the ID, OD and width, pop it into the Boca search engine and get the cheapest set (first ones listed)

Bet is will cost you under $5 to replace all 4 main grip bearings.
sk8teradam2003 is offline Find More Posts by sk8teradam2003
Old Nov 05, 2009, 06:16 PM
Joined Sep 2009
1,075 Posts
http://www.bocabearings.com/main1.as...4013&n=*H02-04

$75 for a set of bearings
Old Nov 05, 2009, 06:25 PM
dze
Joined Jan 2008
5,917 Posts
helidirect has a fairly good supply of bearings the couple that ive needed in about 2 years of flying helis ive got from there ..
dze is offline Find More Posts by dze
Old Nov 05, 2009, 06:26 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,328 Posts
You don't need the best when it comes to boca. Just get the economy ones.
mhills51 is online now Find More Posts by mhills51
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 05, 2009, 06:28 PM
USA, WI, Wauwatosa
Joined Nov 2007
230 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shultz View Post
Shultz, what are the dimensions for the grip bearings. It should say in the manual.
sk8teradam2003 is offline Find More Posts by sk8teradam2003
Old Nov 05, 2009, 06:48 PM
Joined Sep 2009
1,075 Posts
Quote:
You don't need the best when it comes to boca. Just get the economy ones.
That is the econo set... or at least that's what it says.

Quote:
Shultz, what are the dimensions for the grip bearings. It should say in the manual.
Grip are 3x7x2.5 and 3x8x3... I figure since it's a CHEAP clone of the T-rex 450SE V2 that I would gohead and replace ALL the bearings... I already have Align main, feathering and tail shafts on hand for my first dirt nap. From what I have gathered Align bearings would cost me about $30 for the full set... are they any good? that's not much more than the EXI bearing's would cost...that makes me wonder about Align quality.

I have no experiance with Avid heli bearings... only car/truck( MUCH larger) At a buck a pop the price is good and they have all but one size in stock... again i wonder if the quality is up to snuff.
Old Nov 05, 2009, 10:11 PM
Joined Nov 2004
33 Posts
Helihoby has a good set

T-Rex ABEC-5 precision bearings ( Qty 18 ) 12.99

http://www.helihobby.com/html/TREX3.html

These have worked well for me.
olyrick is offline Find More Posts by olyrick
Old Nov 06, 2009, 07:48 AM
NYC, NY
Joined Jul 2007
1,800 Posts
I usually do not change bearings unless a crash is involved. If I bend the main shaft, I inspect those bearings, bent spindle inspect bearings and replace as necessary. Tail rotor shaft, same deal. If it ain't really broke, don't fix it. Nothing wrong with the bearings from XHeli or HobbyPartz for the EXI, nice and cheap, Helidirect is good too.
MrRetro is offline Find More Posts by MrRetro
Old Nov 06, 2009, 01:55 PM
Joined Sep 2009
1,075 Posts
olyrick... Thanks! I'll give those a try.

MrRetro... I agree, I would not normaly change bearings unless a crash OR as in my case they feel rough...REAL rough in the blade grips... this after only 30 or so flights... maybe this is fairly normal on the smaller helis with smaller bearings? maybe i just got a few bad bearings to begin with?... I do know in my nitro helis, bearings last a LONG time if you just oil them and keep them clean.

At any rate I think I'll order up a few sets of different bearings since i have two of these cheap 450 kits flying... that and some more spares as I'm LONG over due for a crash
Old Nov 06, 2009, 02:21 PM
Sure it'll work
United States, CA, Torrance
Joined Nov 2005
4,275 Posts
You can buy just the bearing you want...you don't have to get a whole set...you only need the dimentions. I use (they are not listed on the site) Boca "GreenSeals" for mains and tail. Call them...they are very helpful and ship free. Their bearings go all the way upto ABEC#7

http://www.bocabearings.com/default.aspx

Quote:
Originally Posted by shultz View Post
Flyextreme is offline Find More Posts by Flyextreme