SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 05, 2009, 05:28 PM
Fly Runaway Fans
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2009
9,387 Posts
Mini-Review
Xheli T-series aluminum coax

Just arrived, not flown yet, that data forthcoming. Shipping exactly on schedule, $5-off coupon applied. Kit is complete and well packed, but charger appears inoperative (no green). Charging with existing Esky 0851 charger, as battery is the same 7.4V 850mAh lipo. Motors 'look' huskier (circuit board w/capacitors on top) than the tincan Esky motors from the same class, but are probably rated the same.

Transmitter battery holder is a cartridge, remove and put 4 AAs on top and bottom. Holder is well crafted, everything fits snugly. Single LED lights, supposed to get dimmer as batteries run down (but how dim is too dim?). Transmitters are nonstandard frequencies, 27/40/49MHz and the crystals are internal, not switchable. What would be trim tabs are molded in place, inoperable. Fairly irrelevant for a 3ch. What does need trim, yaw, has a knob which is probably more applicable to the function than buttons or tabs. There is also a rate switch slow/quick, we'll have to see what that does.

The manual is the WORST Chinglesh I have ever encountered. You'll have to know roughly what they mean, to make any sense of it at all. Illustrations, not bad. Doesn't show where the switch is; it's at the midline port side canopy edge. Yes, there's a switch! There's also better battery connectors and wiring than the same-class Esky (the charge connector is standard).

Comparing T-series to Lama V4, they're almost the same overall length tip-to-tip. But the T's bladespan is 3" larger and it weighs 40g more. Yes, it's aluminum frame and head, but pressed/stamped, NOT CNC. Well whaddya expect for $60? The flybar pivot is screwed on. You won't lose it, but if it hits something you will almost definitely bend it. The skids are flexible plastic rather than brittle as in Esky.

Speaking of bending (or breaking) things, Xheli doesn't list any parts for the T. One user reports being able to acquire them through RCDiscuss. It comes with one each spare set of A and B rotorblades, and a tailblade. Tailmotor looks like the same one from HBFP, probably outlast the FP's typical 10 hours as it only runs intermittently. There is a mention in the specs of a gyro, but nothing about adjusting it. The trim knob may be all you get. The tailmotor is bidirectional (H-bridge drive).

Charging finished, spun it up to lightskids. This is a bling heli. Sequential flashing red/green/blue LEDs are embedded in the tailboom, and a bright white LED in the nose. It's a little noisier than LV4, but not holding that against it unless it's bushings where V4 is bearings (not determined). The shafts are already extended such that the flybar can't strike the lower blades. But with no swash, not likely that would be an issue anyway.

It did NOT piro at lightskids! Trim knob set randomly to midpoint. It slewed forward slightly, responded readily to R-stick correction. Fore/aft trim is going to be a matter of attaching weights, no other provision for it. It didn't try to tump over, which every other heli I own does whether coax or SR.

More to come. I'm easing into flying it, sure don't want to bust it the first hour. Looks good so far. Worst I can say, it's large for indoors and light/coax for outdoors, so finding a good venue may be the biggest issue. Other than the charger, it works nominally out of the box. Very good scale looks (if you like stamped aluminum) and assembly quality. Tighten the blades a little (more critical than plastic bladeholders) and fly it. Unless it croaks in a week and a half, good $60 value.
arbilab is offline Find More Posts by arbilab
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 05, 2009, 07:06 PM
Fly Runaway Fans
Joined Jan 2009
9,387 Posts
OK, flown it briefly a couple times. DEFINITELY has a gyro, because yaw snaps in when commands are released. Wants to wander forward, no trim for that other than adding weight to the tail. Easy enough, a couple turns of solder around the boom.

Banged into the fridge during yaw trim test, no damage (but then I'm pretty good at hitting things without busting stuff). Blade ruggedness is in between (stock) Lama V4 and HBFP.

I'm not a fan of 3ch. For one thing, the transmitters tend to be mode 4 like this one and my submicro Walcopter. RUD and ELE on R stick. Cornfusing when you go back to 4ch mode 2. But shoot, I wasn't doing anything else, a little cornfusion won't hurt me, builds flexibility.

The thing is pretty and fun. NOT a throwaway Havoc that spins wildly even when 'seen on TV' and for only $20 more. Buy one for your teenager for xmas, s/he won't have any trouble adapting at all. Kids do that so much better than us brittle adults. But don't let him/her near the bric-a-brac case, it's big enough to clean out a whole shelf in one mistake.
Old Nov 05, 2009, 08:06 PM
Capt, USAF
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Feb 2009
928 Posts
Glad to hear your T-Series is working out well for you. When mine first arrived I couldn't believe the quality/price ratio. While it will not quench the thirst of some aggressive enthusiasts who demand aerobatics from their RC choppers, it certainly does more than enough to entertain the casual hobbyist, and those new to Radio-Controlled stuff. I handed the controls over to one of our international pilots in my squadron (From the Dominican Republic) and he couldn't get enough of the cool lights flashing in sequence while he tried to navigate the backyard. He flew it just fine...Landing had a few bumps, but no damage.

Best way I can describe the T is, it's a lot like the Nintendo Wii. Sure, an XBOX 360 or PS3 will blow it out of the water in terms of pure processing power and scope of capability, but those two systems don't sell in numbers like the Wii does - and that's simply because its a pick up and play machine. Learning how to wave a controller around doesn't take long, but learning the nuances of a complex control layout for a first-person shooter or flight simulator on a more powerful platform may prove prohibitive to someone who doesn't play video games a whole lot. The T-Series is a pick-up-and play heli, and it is worth the price and then some!

I did get the parts from a man named Andy at RCdiscuss, but I'm not sure about widespread availability - Shaft bends easily but if you can get a few spares it will fly forever. Congrats on the purchase, sorry the charger didn't work out - Funny, I had exactly the opposite problem with an E-Flite charger failing, now I'm using the T-charger as primary for both!
Roswalt is offline Find More Posts by Roswalt
Old Nov 05, 2009, 08:23 PM
Fly Runaway Fans
Joined Jan 2009
9,387 Posts
Thanks for putting me onto it Walt. More people otta be jumping on this. For 2/3 the current price of Lama V4 (and 1/2 what I paid for it at the time) it's more attractive and dang-near as functional.

Just because helis are "fringe" doesn't mean they're not worth it.
Old Nov 05, 2009, 10:04 PM
Vanadu
Canada, YT, Whitehorse
Joined Dec 2008
3,856 Posts
Hey, nice review, thanks!

Tell me, Can the T's motors be fit in to a CX3? What is its weight?

Heavy Chevy is offline Find More Posts by Heavy Chevy
Old Nov 05, 2009, 10:31 PM
Fly Runaway Fans
Joined Jan 2009
9,387 Posts
Thanks. Loving it so far. Run it into a few solid objects, haven't busted it.

I don't have the weight of CX3. All I know is the T is 40 grams heavier than Lama V4. As I recall, the measurements were 220g vs. 260g.

The gyro is VERY snappy. Maybe TOO snappy for the proportionality of the controller. I'm not complaining. As I've always said, everything's a compromise.
Old Nov 05, 2009, 10:42 PM
Vanadu
Canada, YT, Whitehorse
Joined Dec 2008
3,856 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbilab View Post
Thanks. Loving it so far. Run it into a few solid objects, haven't busted it.

I don't have the weight of CX3. All I know is the T is 40 grams heavier than Lama V4. As I recall, the measurements were 220g vs. 260g.

The gyro is VERY snappy. Maybe TOO snappy for the proportionality of the controller. I'm not complaining. As I've always said, everything's a compromise.
Are those measurements with or without the lipo?

It looks really cool and I like that it's all aluminum.....LED's are always cool too!

Old Nov 05, 2009, 10:48 PM
Capt, USAF
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Feb 2009
928 Posts
Yeah the first time I gave rudder movement I thought something was wrong; the thing just whips around! Turn rate is ridiculous, but the nose locks right up immediately - a welcome feature indeed.

The looks are tough to beat, especially in dim light, or sunset.
Roswalt is offline Find More Posts by Roswalt
Old Nov 05, 2009, 11:13 PM
Fly Runaway Fans
Joined Jan 2009
9,387 Posts
Did they sneak a HH into this thing without telling us? And with the coarse controller?

Both weights include battery. The one in the T is not readily removable.

It's very blinged. More than anything in or near its class. You gotta go overboard with aftermarket options to even approach the LED setup that comes with this.

RUD control is very touchy. Hard to yaw it less than 15 degrees. Snaps back into trim setting like a banshee when command released. If CX3 worked this well, it would rule the 4ch coax market.

Damn, I'm gonna have so much fun with this, it might switch me to mode 4 against my will. Gotta keep flying the 4chs so I don't over-adapt to R-stick yaw.
Last edited by arbilab; Nov 05, 2009 at 11:22 PM.
Old Nov 06, 2009, 12:20 AM
All flight is 3D.
various parts of NY
Joined Jan 2009
941 Posts
Do you have a picture of this helicopter ? Is there any place I can take a look at it and see what it looks like ?
Lamedico is offline Find More Posts by Lamedico
Old Nov 06, 2009, 12:30 AM
Vanadu
Canada, YT, Whitehorse
Joined Dec 2008
3,856 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamedico View Post
Do you have a picture of this helicopter ? Is there any place I can take a look at it and see what it looks like ?
I second that.

I've got a blade CX3 with a tailboom, racing canopy, aluminum upgrades and brushless setup and I'm really curious to see if I could set it's frame on to the T's. Any chance of getting some shots of it with the canopy off?
Old Nov 06, 2009, 12:48 AM
Fly Runaway Fans
Joined Jan 2009
9,387 Posts
Here ya go. But if I could find it on xheli in 3 clicks, you could have. http://www.xheli.com/newtfualal3c.html

No offense, but doesn't your iphone have an app for that?
Last edited by arbilab; Nov 06, 2009 at 12:55 AM.
Old Nov 06, 2009, 01:08 AM
All flight is 3D.
various parts of NY
Joined Jan 2009
941 Posts
Nice, looks interesting. But right now I am in the market for a single.
Lamedico is offline Find More Posts by Lamedico
Old Nov 06, 2009, 01:08 AM
Vanadu
Canada, YT, Whitehorse
Joined Dec 2008
3,856 Posts
Those I've seen, but thanks. I'm more interested in shots with the canopy off. Iphone? Ha! I don't even have a cell phone
Old Nov 06, 2009, 02:25 PM
Fly Runaway Fans
Joined Jan 2009
9,387 Posts
Shots? Like I'm going to buy a digital camera and take a working heli apart for a photoshoot? Not gonna happen, eh? Though I'm curious myself as to what's inside it.

What I can see, is 2 electronic modules, figuring RX and 3x1, connected by a 7-conductor ribbon. Battery is fore. Some disassembly required to access. Thanks, I'll wait for the charger.

I thought the LED array would soak the battery. But it's been flying on and off 24 hours on the initial charge. The gyro snap is just short of violent. I mean, let go of RUD and it LOCKS right where it is. Surprised the ad copy didn't mention that. In all the literature I only found the word 'gyro' once. It's not just a gyro, it's a patriot's gyro.

This gizmo is a helluva lot flashier than CX3, in all regards including scale, heft, and bling. And for the price of CX3 you can buy 3 of these. I haven't yet found anything to dislike about it. The RUD stick is a bit touchy, I wish they'd put it on the left where it belongs, and I do miss aileron, but this ain't yer mother's Airhog 3ch.

Whoever this Huangxing is, they're damned competent at original design, aesthetics, component qualification, and assembly. Oh, let's not forget priceline.

Edit: Forgot to mention, 4 wraps of solder around the boom was all it took to neutralize CG and trim fore/aft to handsfree. This is the most stable heli of all 6 I own.
Last edited by arbilab; Nov 06, 2009 at 02:42 PM.