Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 05, 2009, 02:19 PM
Joined Oct 2009
69 Posts
Discussion
what is a park flyer and what is a sport flyer

what are the differances or what actually defines the definition of a Park flyer

And what is or defines a sport flyer from say anyother types
fla_larry is offline Find More Posts by fla_larry
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 05, 2009, 02:35 PM
Joined Jan 2009
7,643 Posts
As I understand it:

-- Park Flyer denotes a relatively small, light electric plane
-- Sport flyer denotes a plane that is relatively fast and acrobatic, without regard to its size, or how it's powered.
rafe_b is offline Find More Posts by rafe_b
Old Nov 05, 2009, 03:36 PM
Prop Buster Extraordinaire
Seattle
Joined Aug 2009
1,201 Posts
I think it's kind of ambiguous what a park flier is. What I take it to mean is any plane that can be flown safely in an average park - say the size of a couple of football fields. I've seen some 60" or so planes being flown in "Parkflyer Territory" and didn't think they were a problem.
philba is offline Find More Posts by philba
Old Nov 05, 2009, 04:33 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,577 Posts
ParkFlyer flys in the park.
SportsFlyer flys in the Sports field!!
Butch777 is offline Find More Posts by Butch777
Old Nov 05, 2009, 04:36 PM
Joined Aug 2004
28 Posts
I can fly a sport flying in a park.
Blue Solitare is offline Find More Posts by Blue Solitare
Old Nov 05, 2009, 08:24 PM
Shelter Kitty "Orange Death"
United States, FL, Monroe
Joined Jan 2008
3,157 Posts
The AMA gives a speed and weight definition of a Park Flyer. I think of Sport Flying as more of a style of flying as is 3D, pattern, combat and indoor. Many planes can be Park Flyers and can fly in various styles. To me a Sport Flyer would indicate more acrobatic capabilities than a trainer.
bartricky is offline Find More Posts by bartricky
Old Nov 05, 2009, 09:28 PM
Joined Oct 2009
69 Posts
Thanks for the replys, so essentially then when a radio mfg refers to their recvr as a park flyer compatable it is not so much an issue of range, as size and weight?
fla_larry is offline Find More Posts by fla_larry
Old Nov 05, 2009, 09:33 PM
Joined Jan 2009
7,643 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fla_larry View Post
Thanks for the replys, so essentially then when a radio mfg refers to their recvr as a park flyer compatable it is not so much an issue of range, as size and weight?
Ah. Good question. I've wondered the same thing myself. Does it mean reduced range (compared to what??) or reduced size/weight or what? Or does it mean, "don't use this receiver on your 30 pound, 120 inch wingspan model?"
rafe_b is offline Find More Posts by rafe_b
Old Nov 05, 2009, 09:46 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
It means don't use this receiver on any kind of plane with large metallic objects (or heavy use of carbon fiber, as in sail planes made of such) which can "shadow" a 2.4GHz receiver.

A gas/glow/fuel plane has enough of a metallic presence to shadow the signal, making it lose contact with the transmitter.
NoFlyZone is offline Find More Posts by NoFlyZone
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 05, 2009, 11:34 PM
Prop Buster Extraordinaire
Seattle
Joined Aug 2009
1,201 Posts
Some of the receivers that say "park flier" do have reduced range. Though, I believe it's due to the antenna used which is why metal and carbon fiber are issues.
philba is offline Find More Posts by philba
Old Nov 06, 2009, 12:11 AM
old pilot
Rapid City SD
Joined Dec 2007
3,822 Posts
Major question, Larry

A "sport flier" is usually a plane of whatever size that is reasonably easy to fly without extensive experience.

The official AMA definition of a "Park Flyer" is an electric plane 2lbs or less and speed less than 60mph. Generally manufacturers of this size plane assume the radio systems do not need the greater range needed for larger planes. A rule of thumb is that if it is too far away to see orientation and you bash it, you will still have radio control.

The popularity of smaller electric planes that can be flown in local parks or similar locations without bothering other people is increasing rapidly. The AMA Park Flyer division is working hard to develop standards and education to promote fun for RC pilots, maintaining places for everyone to fly and insuring the safety of everyone.

It's best to join the Academy of Model Aeronautics for a number of reasons including liability. The specific Park Flyer membership costs about half what full AMA membership costs, and is intended for guys who fly in ordinary city parks or other local areas not designated as AMA club fields.

Happy flying

Icky
Ickarusmelt is offline Find More Posts by Ickarusmelt
Last edited by Ickarusmelt; Nov 06, 2009 at 12:18 AM.
Old Nov 06, 2009, 12:51 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
Joined Oct 2007
20,933 Posts
^You should also mention some clubs do not allow PPP membership at their field,s and that PPP membership isn't accepted at a lot of events too
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Nov 18, 2009, 10:09 PM
United States, FL, Ruskin
Joined Sep 2008
323 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fla_larry View Post
what are the differances or what actually defines the definition of a Park flyer

And what is or defines a sport flyer from say anyother types
My interpretation: Park Flyers are usually small, light wt.;foamies, that can be flown safely in a more restricted location / such as a park. Being small etc. they do not safely fly at long range therefore, the park flyer restricted range RX's. Sport flyers generally refers to aircraft built up of lite ply/balsa and may be powered by electric or glow fuel. Far larger, faster and heavier than a park flyer therefore require much more space for safe operation. They are similar in construction to the more advanced pattern type and giant scale but without the more advanced necessitys of those type. Can be used as trainers, in some cases or overall fun fly aircraft. Many have reasonable aerobatic capabilities.
tedmo is offline Find More Posts by tedmo
Old Nov 18, 2009, 11:47 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
Joined Oct 2007
20,933 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedmo View Post
My interpretation: Park Flyers are usually small, light wt.;foamies, that can be flown safely in a more restricted location / such as a park. Being small etc. they do not safely fly at long range therefore, the park flyer restricted range RX's. Sport flyers generally refers to aircraft built up of lite ply/balsa and may be powered by electric or glow fuel. Far larger, faster and heavier than a park flyer therefore require much more space for safe operation. They are similar in construction to the more advanced pattern type and giant scale but without the more advanced necessitys of those type. Can be used as trainers, in some cases or overall fun fly aircraft. Many have reasonable aerobatic capabilities.
Not true at all. Parkflyers can be made of balsa OR foam, not just foam. For example, the MUS, or a Mountain Models Switchback.

IMO, there is no difference between a parkflyer or a sport flyer- I can make both do both. I can take a 72" .40 glow plane look like a parkflyer, and comfortably fly it in a fairly large park. Now, that's not the brightest idea, however it can be done. I can make that same model sport fly.

Short range and long range receivers can be used in either type of model, although many micro receivers nowadays made for parkflyers do have full range, such as the Berg 4, or a Hitec Micro 05S. I myself use only full range receivers, because they don't cost a whole lot more than a short range receiver, nor do they weight much more either
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Nov 19, 2009, 06:38 AM
Joined Sep 2007
1,249 Posts
Park Flyer receivers are a few dollars less than regular receivers. Spend the money on the better receivers.
MrEWorm is offline Find More Posts by MrEWorm